The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

:lol:

You lot have went on and on about how good the guy is for years and then expect people to believe you don't care that he's packed it all in for Livingston?

Most worrying is that Hartley, with your biggest budget since the SPL days, couldn't convince a Falkirk fan to sign a new deal. I'm sure most sensible fans won't buy into the club's poor attempt at spin on the Facebook page.

Hartley is a Mourinho type. He is capable of inspiring an initial upturn but his "man management" skills means he will eventually piss off and alienate a lot of players. Not a manager for the long term.

I will be surprised if he sees out the season, even if he manages to keep Falkirk up again.

10 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Hartley is a Mourinho type. He is capable of inspiring an initial upturn but his "man management" skills means he will eventually piss off and alienate a lot of players. Not a manager for the long term.

I will be surprised if he sees out the season, even if he manages to keep Falkirk up again.

There's clearly a reason he needs to make massive changes to his squads on a fairly regular basis.

3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’m going to choose to look at it this way. He spends a year in the SPFL with a Mickey Mouse outfit. As soon as we pass them next season we re-sign him for our premiership challenge.

His year of experience at that level will stand us in good stead....

As a livvy poster said way back, one to warm the bench which I think is pretty accurate if Hopkin stays on, can he run about like a maddy for 90 odd mins...No does he have a decent set piece in him....No     Can he kick the ball 60 -70yards ...No

2 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

In all honesty I thought he would go to Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen if he went to the premiership.

I also thought for the first time since he broke through that he would have been in Falkirk team next season which would have got the best out of him.

He’s better than Livi but at the end of the day that’s where he is and if he wants to make something of his career then he needs to prove he can do it in the premiership.

Having a laugh surely.......bottom 6 in premiership is how far he was gonna go and wouldnt be first choice

12 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

A truly heartwarming tale as Falkirk's greatest ever player manages to make the step up after his dream move to the English Fourth Division fell through last summer.

Not even probably in my top 30, His one full fantastic season winning young player of the year, player of the year and goal of the year still didnt come close to a Stainrod, a Crunchie or a Latapy season, of which the latter two had more than one fantastic season.

Personally I think him going to Livvy says it all, no one else was interested, a bit like last season. He didnt have a great season last season due to injuries, faffing at Luton and his general one good game and many invisible. I suppose he will see that if he didnt go now he might never get the chance to play in the top league and although I have suggested give us one more season and put last seasons miss of a season to bed by producing a season which would have seen him get a better move, that's not a giver to happen either

I just cant see him being a regular at Livvy, doesnt fit in with the work ethic they have, no pace and doesnt deliver a killer set piece.

Good luck to him tho, I am not to despondent tho, someone in with pace and wants to be there please

59 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Why have some much hassle to get an option put in someones contract if your just going to let them feck off to a wee club like livi for nowt.  Time for arsehole campbell to feck off back to his community pish and leave the football to folk who actually have a scooby.

I believe the CEO insisted on the option to protect the interests of the club so that if Sibbald wanted to move this summer we'd get some cash, assuming of course that the manager was willing to let him go.

The phrase "undisclosed fee" suggests that we got the cash, rather than have Sibbs walk for nothing.  

So putting in the option was probably the right thing to do.

As to whether PH was right not to force him to re-sign, only time will tell on that one. Let's see how his replacement performs before we rush to judgement.

Was Sibbs in the running for our player of the year last year ? No
Was he courted by teams in the top half of Premiership or lower English leagues? No
Did he give us SOME good memories? Yes
Would he be in your favourite team of the last 30 years? No
Time for him to try elsewhere and for us to try to get similar or better.

Sibbalds problems were all of his own makings. Whilst a decent player he failed to consistantly perform at a level during the last two years that wouldve got him a move a lot quicker to far bigger and better clubs than livi. The fact that he could find noone willing to pay a couple of 100k last season and that hes having to join a club like livi this season to get a shot at top flight football is due to his form being very mixed of late. Only the bod know why they pissed about so much last season to get an option in a contract only to no bother with it this season. Crazy stuff. I can only presume that oor sibbs has as many brain cells as active hair follicles  as its still a kind of desperate move . Surprised noone else was willing to take a punt on him considering he was costing peanuts but again that shows the lack of faith other clubs have in him due to recent mediocre seasons.

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I believe the CEO insisted on the option to protect the interests of the club so that if Sibbald wanted to move this summer we'd get some cash, assuming of course that the manager was willing to let him go.

The phrase "undisclosed fee" suggests that we got the cash, rather than have Sibbs walk for nothing.  

So putting in the option was probably the right thing to do.

As to whether PH was right not to force him to re-sign, only time will tell on that one. Let's see how his replacement performs before we rush to judgement.

If your going to all that trouble over getting an option it should be in the hope of getting far more than 50k.  Our minimum shouldve been the comp money and nothing less.

#NaturalOrder

After years of Falkirk fans proclaiming Sibbald a huge prospect, who'd be moving to one of the Old Firm or Aberdeen, they finally get to see a version of their squad everyone else sees.

Hes a 24 year old midfielder whos never played in the top flight and barely scores five goals a season. Livingston is the best move he could've gotten, and choosing between them and Falkirk is an absolute no brainer if he ever wants to progress, as he needs top flight football, and its highly unlikely if he were to stay for another few years.

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

All the Falkirk fans going on about how poor he is :D Was only a few months ago he was the best player in the Championship by a mile

Nowhere near it or we'd have been in the top flight by now. Last two seasons have been very poor by his standards and again are why hes ended up with livi and not a much bigger club .

Just now, Shodwall cat said:

If your going to all that trouble over getting an option it should be in the hope of getting far more than 50k.  Our minimum shouldve been the comp money and nothing less.

Stop looking to find faults Shodwall, or I'll start a petition to bring Jimmy back.

I'd happily spend a few weeks arguing with folk to get fifty grand, if indeed that figure is accurate. Wouldn't you?

I have no idea what the minimum comp money is. Do you, and is it above 50K for a player of his age?

10 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

How much was the compensation figure?

We were told that comp for him was approx 250k. I wouldve thought about right considering how long he was at the club.  I still dont understand why we're as soft as shite . If we indeed did want him to stay then he shouldve been told that was happening.  Again he may have huffed a bit but if he wanted a decent future in football he wouldve realised he needed to get on with things and got his head down. He could then have done whatever he wanted next summer. If we dont play hardball we'll be stuck in this league for a long time yet.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

We were told that comp for him was approx 250k. I wouldve thought about right considering how long he was at the club.  I still dont understand why we're as soft as shite . If we indeed did want him to stay then he shouldve been told that was happening.  Again he may have huffed a bit but if he wanted a decent future in football he wouldve realised he needed to get on with things and got his head down. He could then have done whatever he wanted next summer. If dont play hardball we'll ve stuck in this league for a long time yet.

I think there's a sliding scale depending on age, and that he'll be fairly low as he's in the final year when compensation can be claimed. No doubt one of the decent QOS posters will be on shortly to enlighten us both.

IMO you make too many assumptions and always err on the side of Corporal Fraser.

We were told that comp for him was approx 250k. I wouldve thought about right considering how long he was at the club.  I still dont understand why we're as soft as shite . If we indeed did want him to stay then he shouldve been told that was happening.  Again he may have huffed a bit but if he wanted a decent future in football he wouldve realised he needed to get on with things and got his head down. He could then have done whatever he wanted next summer. If we dont play hardball we'll be stuck in this league for a long time yet.
I'm not sure this is us being 'soft as shite' as you put it. The board clearly wanted to protect their position last season which presumably Houston supported. Hartley clearly sees it differently however and would rather not force a player to stay if his heart isn't in it. Todays news seems like a reasonable compromise to me.