The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, Disco Duck said:

Jesus, are we really going back 10 years in looking at poor decisions, in response to one poor league game?

PANIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC

It was in response to a question regarding soft loans for christ sake.  Do we need to stick to talking about Saturdays shite or can we talk about other things too?

Guest Back Post Misses
How many of these weans will make it to anything approaching a decent level? 

They are not all weans but who knows? For example the lad Hodge has just got into the Scotland pool. An ex-scout for the academy who helped bring in a good number of our big transfers spoke highly of these lads and that they all had a chance.

The lad Offord is in one of the SFA performance schools and the ex-pro who coaches them raves about the lad.

But as we are all aware things go wrong and some never make it. Be interesting in time to see what does happen though

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It was in response to a question regarding soft loans for christ sake.  Do we need to stick to talking about Saturdays shite or can we talk about other things too?

To be fair, I wasn't the one that brought the soft loans up. At least, I don't think I was.

14 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

They are not all weans but who knows? For example the lad Hodge has just got into the Scotland pool. An ex-scout for the academy who helped bring in a good number of our big transfers spoke highly of these lads and that they all had a chance.

The lad Offord is in one of the SFA performance schools and the ex-pro who coaches them raves about the lad.

But as we are all aware things go wrong and some never make it. Be interesting in time to see what does happen though

It's the old potential vs reality conundrum. Can anyone else remember the other two Fulton brothers? I can remember an article where someone tipped the other two for success and all but wrote off Jay as he was too slight in build.

45 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Buck stops with the bod and manager.  St Mirren didnt have the biggest budget last season but the bod made the right decisions . Get a good promising young manager in and back him as much as possible.  Question is whether our bod have made the right decision in bringing in Hartley and backing him.  We've had our fill of bad managerial appointments in May, Pressley, Holt etc so I just hope that this aint another one.

At the time we were looking for a new manager the only 2 people i think i would have wanted and indeed was in most peoples minds were either Jack Ross who wouldnt lets face it or Hartley, the only other name that would have been in contention that folk would have wanted was Owen Coyle who is pretty much onto the usual suspects that needs a job  that gets banded about like Yogi, Jim McIntyre, Gus McPherson.

Am not even going to try to justify it after 1 league game theres hitting the panic button early and theres taking the piss and the whole topic over the past few days goes towards taking the p*ss.  I thought it was bad Blackpool got shot of their manager after 1 league game.

1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

At the time we were looking for a new manager the only 2 people i think i would have wanted and indeed was in most peoples minds were either Jack Ross who wouldnt lets face it or Hartley, the only other name that would have been in contention that folk would have wanted was Owen Coyle who is pretty much onto the usual suspects that needs a job  that gets banded about like Yogi, Jim McIntyre, Gus McPherson.

Am not even going to try to justify it after 1 league game theres hitting the panic button early and theres taking the piss and the whole topic over the past few days goes towards taking the p*ss.  I thought it was bad Blackpool got shot of their manager after 1 league game.

To be fair, I think the Blackpool manager jumped, seems he got fed up hiring pitches so the team could train on.

There's a few folk on here currently carving Hartley voodoo dolls in their secure rooms.

8 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I hope he succeeds I really do and the next few weeks will tell us what kind of season we are going to have.  Hopefully he'll turn out to be an excellent appointment and not another feckup by the bod.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Nah you can clearly see in the highlights the ref blew pretty much Steichen away for a free-kick. He never once signalled for a goal.

Yep, think it was because his arm was pointing towards our end that it looked to some that he had given the goal. He definitely blew immediately for the "foul".

It was actually a cracking header. 

You'd think there would be a ruling about fouls from corners and freekicks, like the one about whether an offside player is interfering with play. I mean, if a player at the near post sticks away a header from the corner, what relevance does a foul at the back post have? It's not as though it can be said that the foul at the back post let the near post guy score.

And I'm aware that's likely reading a bit of a ramble.

With all the signings that were happening everyone was thinking "great a new approach thinking outside the box and not signing the same old championship cast offs" folk thinking f**k it it might not pay of but lets enjoy the rollercoaster and thats what it is its a rollercoaster calm down and lets see what pans out it might take a bit of time but we have been in this league long enough to know everyone is going to take points of everyone for every loss there is going to be a win  some weeks results will go our way some they wont.

of would you rather have  Bairdy, Craigen, Aird, Gasparotto , McHugh

Cant just sit back and do nothing board and Hartley need to try something different we tried the usual suspects it didnt workany other time so time for different appraoch look on the bright side we might have appointed Csaba.

2 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

You'd think there would be a ruling about fouls from corners and freekicks, like the one about whether an offside player is interfering with play. I mean, if a player at the near post sticks away a header from the corner, what relevance does a foul at the back post have? It's not as though it can be said that the foul at the back post let the near post guy score.

And I'm aware that's likely reading a bit of a ramble.

Christ the offside law changes have created enough havoc as it is. Perhaps we should be asking why a player is fouling an opponent that far away from the ball anyway?

Edited by Shodwall cat

With all the signings that were happening everyone was thinking "great a new approach thinking outside the box and not signing the same old championship cast offs" folk thinking f**k it it might not pay of but lets enjoy the rollercoaster and thats what it is its a rollercoaster calm down and lets see what pans out it might take a bit of time but we have been in this league long enough to know everyone is going to take points of everyone for every loss there is going to be a win  some weeks results will go our way some they wont.

of would you rather have  Bairdy, Craigen, Aird, Gasparotto , McHugh

Cant just sit back and do nothing board and Hartley need to try something different we tried the usual suspects it didnt workany other time so time for different appraoch look on the bright side we might have appointed Csaba.

Those five were part of a side that got us to second in the league. Lets see where this lot gets us and then we'll know.

30 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

It's the old potential vs reality conundrum. Can anyone else remember the other two Fulton brothers? I can remember an article where someone tipped the other two for success and all but wrote off Jay as he was too slight in build.

Dale and Tyler

Dale Fulton GOAT cross at Tannadice for Farid

8 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Those five were part of a side that got us to second in the league. Lets see where this lot gets us and then we'll know.

I thought you were a Camelon Juniors fan?

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Dale and Tyler

Dale Fulton GOAT cross at Tannadice for Farid

Both currently unemployed for 3 years now, which was my point more than anything else. They may have had the technical ability or build, or whatever else. But they were lacking enough of an all round package to ever make it for more than a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

So 1 poor game and that’s it confirmed that he’s shite aye?

FWIW he wasn’t ‘inept’ at all in the BetFred games. He’s extremely raw and has zero positional sense. However he’s decent in the air, got plenty pace to burn and is capable of putting decent balls into the box. He’s definitely a confidence and project player.

He might well turn out to be shite, just like any signing could, but to state that after 1 league game and a few kickabouts is absolutely pathetic.

So are you judging him on the 5 games he has played or ones you feel he did Ok in ?

I am judging him in all 5, not Saturday and he isn't up to scratch for me, no composure, poor touch, no skill, poor passing and his final ball when the rare opportunity arrives is shocking, with Muirhead, Kidd or McGhee behind him, we will be as well as forgetting creating anything from the right hand side. The sad thing is he has no one competing with him for the right slot, hence why he has played in all 5 games.

Petra is 23 in a few weeks, I really don't get project player at that age especially as an attacking player

1 hour ago, DeeBairn said:

Pretty much everything you mentioned there are players that moved, what, 2, 3 , 4 seasons ago? Other than the frankly bizarre Gallacher to Liverpool transfer, it was patently obvious to anyone not affected by nostalgia that the players coming through had dried up. Last couple of seasons,  who had looked like making any sort of claim to a place in the first team?  Gallacher? He wasn't even in the team when he was sold.

Our academy was a waste under Houston hence the players mentioned were 2,3,4 yrs ago.

The players sold under Houston bar McGrandles barely played for us and usually featured cause we had no one else, see Botti and Gallacher.

The rest would get one off games in the challenge cup or ignored for half a season (see O'Hara)

The academy needs a drip into the first team like it had under Elvis and Holt, this is where the Bod failed to address whilst Houston was our manager, having an u19 Scotland international right back in our academy and play Gasparotto at right back, is you need to know

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Well that's evidently nonsense just by looking at the highlights, he gives a foul straight away before any Inverness player gets near to him. 

There is footage on youtube from behind the goals, kinda backs up why the goal was disallowed

17 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Might be so but you also had folk calling out Aird for being a Sevco supporter and for him to GTF, Craigen not being good enough tbh i thought he was no bad or Baird and McHugh personally you couldn't fault Baird's work rate or effort and the fact us and Raith are the 2 clubs where his goal stats are quite good (32 for us) and McHugh was a cracking impact sub and a good poacher as in the Hibs and Rangers games folk deemed not good enough so effectively no matter what we get as a support they wont be good enough by some corners of our support.

Your never going to keep everyone happy but regardless what the club does there is always going to be someone that moans about a decision for one reason or another.

Edited by AL-FFC

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Might be so but you also had folk calling out Aird for being a Sevco supporter and for him to GTF, Craigen not being good enough tbh i thought he was no bad or Baird and McHugh personally you couldn't fault Baird's work rate or effort and the fact us and Raith are the 2 clubs where his goal stats are quite good (80 for us) and McHugh was a cracking impact sub and a good poacher as in the Hibs and Rangers games folk deemed not good enough so effectively no matter what we get as a support they wont be good enough by some corners of our support.

Your never going to keep everyone happy but regardless what the club does there is always going to be someone that moans about a decision for one reason or another.

Quite sad that 32 goals makes him one of our top scorers in the modern era..

Might be so but you also had folk calling out Aird for being a Sevco supporter and for him to GTF, Craigen not being good enough tbh i thought he was no bad or Baird and McHugh personally you couldn't fault Baird's work rate or effort and the fact us and Raith are the 2 clubs where his goal stats are quite good (80 for us) and McHugh was a cracking impact sub and a good poacher as in the Hibs and Rangers games folk deemed not good enough so effectively no matter what we get as a support they wont be good enough by some corners of our support.

These players werent good enough to get us up that was clear and the next few weeks will tell us whether the players we have signed to replace them are good enough to get us up or not.  I frankly dont give a monkeys where we get our players from as long as they are good enough to see us back playing in the top flight.  Whether they are from Scotland, England or Timbuctu. Whether they are young old, on loan or permanent means hee haw  . Just lets get 11 players on the park that we can be proud of and that can have us finally challenging for the league title for a change.