The Falkirk FC Thread

Now, it’s fascinating that Barry Smith is being quoted for the Morton job. I mean, can you imagine? Manager, flying high at the top of the league suddenly and unexpectedly resigns. Then turns up for the Cappielow gig.

I mean, Rae really couldn’t really be that stupid could he? Unless of course, he was desperate to kill the “Falkirk legal action” snowball from gaining further momentum by attempting something broadly similar.

Get on your knees and pray Ton fans.

4 hours ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I think this is dangerous talk. We need to avoid getting into a mentality where McKinnon is blamed if we're not midtable.

8th would be an amazing result given the squad he's inherited.

32 games to go, really is bizare talk to settle for 8th that early without even seeing what McKinnon brings to the team.

I hope we win on Saturday so we can use the challenge cup to improve the management way to the players, we need games and more against teams we should beat.

If we get worse after the next 6 or so league games, then go with the 8th is amazing

3 hours ago, Mr X said:

giphy.gif

I recall queens starting the McIntyre season with 2 wins in 10 and 13 losses in the league overall and finishing 4th

we had 2 wins in 12 out of our first games in 2012/13 and still finished 3rd.

Morton didnt win a game in the final quarter of the 2016/17 season

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

It has gone from a single year plan to 3 by reading this in the space of 6 weeks. Utter incompetence.

Not McKinnons fault clearly.

You are entitled to your thoughts on the matter but anyone saying we’ll get promoted this season given the start would be rightly locked up.

Just because this gives you another chance to have a pop at the board, doesn’t mean that reality should be suspended. I’d think less of them if they were talking about promotion again at this stage. We’ve not even got a single point, we’ve only mustered a single league goal (we’ve been so bad I had to check as I thought it was none!) 

34 minutes ago, MrDust said:

32 games to go, really is bizare talk to settle for 8th that early without even seeing what McKinnon brings to the team.

I hope we win on Saturday so we can use the challenge cup to improve the management way to the players, we need games and more against teams we should beat.

If we get worse after the next 6 or so league games, then go with the 8th is amazing

I recall queens starting the McIntyre season with 2 wins in 10 and 13 losses in the league overall and finishing 4th

we had 2 wins in 12 out of our first games in 2012/13 and still finished 3rd.

Morton didnt win a game in the final quarter of the 2016/17 season

Well we can't get worse. Literally. 

We're rock bottom, one goal from 4 games and absolutely bodied in the last two. 

If we continue to be this bad 9th would be extraordinary. 

We will improve under McKinnon. I think that's a given. But we still need to find 2 clubs to outperform to even be 8th. 

I don't see who those are. I've not seen anyone advance any suggestions as to who we're going to overtake. Alloa and who?

10 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

Well we can't get worse. Literally. 

We're rock bottom, one goal from 4 games and absolutely bodied in the last two. 

If we continue to be this bad 9th would be extraordinary. 

We will improve under McKinnon. I think that's a given. But we still need to find 2 clubs to outperform to even be 8th. 

I don't see who those are. I've not seen anyone advance any suggestions as to who we're going to overtake. Alloa and who?

You literally can. You're currently 2 points behind Alloa. Lose the next league game and they win and you'll be 5 points behind.

In general terms, a new manager can only do so much. He can cajole, organise, raise morale and confidence, but when the basic quality for Scottish Championship football isn’t there, he cannot instill that into them.

There lies our biggest problem. If you strip back the squad to those who have demonstrated enough skill to play at this level (and no, I am not talking about winning the league), we are down to 13, or 14, or 15 players with not every position covered. Even at that, would that 15 man squad be one of the best 4 in the league? No it wouldn’t.

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You literally can. You're currently 2 points behind Alloa. Lose the next league game and they win and you'll be 5 points behind.

If you want to be such a pedant, that's not us getting worse - that's Alloa getting better.

2 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

If you want to be such a pedant, that's not us getting worse - that's Alloa getting better.

0 points out of 5 games is worse than 0 points out of 4 ;) 

So, actually, my example was the worst case. Lose the next league game are you're instantly worse than you are now

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

0 points out of 5 games is worse than 0 points out of 4 ;) 

So, actually, my example was the worst case. Lose the next league game are you're instantly worse than you are now

Sorry, but that is subjectively and objectively incorrect. Happy to explain why if you need me to, but if you think it through, you will come to the same conclusion.

Ok.....and not taking the piss here.

Losing four from four or five from five makes you objectively no worse. The team is in a constant steady predictable state. The only objective criteria you can use to say a team losing five from five is worse, is in the objective data available, which is points, goals scored, goals conceded. To be worse, your average of goals conceded would have to increase, or your goals scored remain at “1”. Something like a 3-2 defeat would leave you steady state (5 from 5), worse in average goals conceded, and better in goals scored, which pushes you back to the only non contradictory data you have which is steady state....neither better nor worse.

To be quantifiably worse (in terms of goals) The opposition need to win 3-0. So your “instantly” term isn’t applicable.

Subjectively, there are far too many variables. The perception of team performance, what could be perceived as goal scoring opportunities and so forth.

20 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Ok.....and not taking the piss here.

Losing four from four or five from five makes you objectively no worse. The team is in a constant steady predictable state. The only objective criteria you can use to say a team losing five from five is worse, is in the objective data available, which is points, goals scored, goals conceded. To be worse, your average of goals conceded would have to increase, or your goals scored remain at “1”. Something like a 3-2 defeat would leave you steady state (5 from 5), worse in average goals conceded, and better in goals scored, which pushes you back to the only non contradictory data you have which is steady state....neither better nor worse.

To be quantifiably worse (in terms of goals) The opposition need to win 3-0. So your “instantly” term isn’t applicable.

Subjectively, there are far too many variables. The perception of team performance, what could be perceived as goal scoring opportunities and so forth.

OK, all fair enough.

More simply, though, 0 points from 4 games leaves you with the potential of 117 points, if you were to win the remaining 32 games. 0 points from 5 games reduces that to 114. Therefore, the position is worse.

I think Ray will try to keep it tight up until January and try and salvage a few points here and there. I'd go with a side based around the players we know are good enough to play at this level.

Mitchell

Kidd Muirhead McGhee Robson

Dunne McKee Irving Sammut Greenwood 

Rudden 

4 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Will be interesting to see how many season tickets are sold come next summer. Two seasons of supposed promotion bids have been backed by the fans and it now looks like both have been sold to fans under false pretences. Another relegation battle looms and it wouldnt surprise me in the least to see fans finally saying enoughs enough as this board stumbles from one humiliating screw up to the next. 

A lot of fans claimed they bought their 1st ST this summer or returned after an absence so given the sales were roughly the same as Houston's last summer I have to assume a lot of fans already did give up.

I'd guess around 2000 will always buy STs because for them it's what they do on a Saturday anyway.

Seems some fans need a sales pitch to be enticed in the door and that makes me sad

No, now you are moving on to objective potential. That is the same for everyone at the start of the season. Potential neither worsens nor gets better. Within a season, the potential lowers or remains the same in absolute terms. You have potential until you don’t. It’s a 1 or a 0.

Of course, you have subject potential, but that has to extend beyond the season, and tends to apply to humans.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

No, now you are moving on to objective potential. That is the same for everyone at the start of the season. Potential neither worsens nor gets better. Within a season, the potential lowers or remains the same in absolute terms. You have potential until you don’t. It’s a 1 or a 0.

Of course, you have subject potential, but that has to extend beyond the season, and tends to apply to humans.

So if you remain on 0 points until the last game of the season you wont be in a worse position than you are now?

I would like to take this opportunity to address questions raised by Ray McKinnon’s press conference at the Falkirk Stadium yesterday afternoon.

When Falkirk Football Club asked to speak with Ray on Friday I told Falkirk that Ray was contracted to Mor
ton and we were delighted with the progress that had been made.

I also stated that we would require a six-figure sum for our management team. I was told that this would be put to the Falkirk board and that they would get back to me.

Ray contacted me within 45 minutes of that conversation to tell me that a reporter had told him that Morton had refused an approach from Falkirk. I found the timing of this development rather concerning and I couldn’t work out where this leak could have come from.

I told Ray at our meeting that I was planning to tell him of the approach but only after our game against Partick Thistle the following day. I thought it important that given the importance of the fixture that we didn’t want his focus taken away from the game in hand.

Ray told me that he had put together a great squad, he had a great relationship with all the players and had no desire to go anywhere. He simply wanted to listen to what Falkirk had to offer.

Falkirk were not allowed to contact Ray directly, but because circumstances had changed and Ray was telling me he was aware that Falkirk wanted dialogue, which he intimated that he wanted too, I felt that given our close relationship, I couldn’t deny Ray an opportunity to simply speak to Falkirk.

Whether or not we permitted Ray to talk to Falkirk is not the issue. Ray and Darren were not at any time released from their contracts with Morton. When they subsequently intimated their resignations in breach of contract, the resignations were rejected and they were told that they remained under contract to Greenock Morton until the end of May 2019, as we did not wish to lose our management team.

We are currently working with our advisers to obtain suitable redress following the actions of Falkirk, Mr McKinnon and Mr Taylor.

Crawford

Crawford's statement :

I would like to take this opportunity to address questions raised by Ray McKinnon’s press conference at the Falkirk Stadium yesterday afternoon.

When Falkirk Football Club asked to speak with Ray on Friday I told Falkirk that Ray was contracted to Morton and we were delighted with the progress that had been made.

I also stated that we would require a six-figure sum for our management team. I was told that this would be put to the Falkirk board and that they would get back to me.

Ray contacted me within 45 minutes of that conversation to tell me that a reporter had told him that Morton had refused an approach from Falkirk. I found the timing of this development rather concerning and I couldn’t work out where this leak could have come from.

I told Ray at our meeting that I was planning to tell him of the approach but only after our game against Partick Thistle the following day. I thought it important that given the importance of the fixture that we didn’t want his focus taken away from the game in hand.

Ray told me that he had put together a great squad, he had a great relationship with all the players and had no desire to go anywhere. He simply wanted to listen to what Falkirk had to offer.

Falkirk were not allowed to contact Ray directly, but because circumstances had changed and Ray was telling me he was aware that Falkirk wanted dialogue, which he intimated that he wanted too, I felt that given our close relationship, I couldn’t deny Ray an opportunity to simply speak to Falkirk.

Whether or not we permitted Ray to talk to Falkirk is not the issue. Ray and Darren were not at any time released from their contracts with Morton. When they subsequently intimated their resignations in breach of contract, the resignations were rejected and they were told that they remained under contract to Greenock Morton until the end of May 2019, as we did not wish to lose our management team.

We are currently working with our advisers to obtain suitable redress following the actions of Falkirk, Mr McKinnon and Mr Taylor.

Crawford