The Falkirk FC Thread

Weatherston was a confidence player. His head went down way too easily and then he was an empty shirt. My big frustration was that he would never ever track back. If he lost the ball he would look like he was going to cry and start sauntering back up the pitch bemoaning his lot.

Don't know if anyone has read his blog - it was a good read, pretty honest. I don't think his confidence issues are just on the pitch. He came across well though.

When he was good he was very good. I think he'll be an absolute standout with the Binos, hope he gets some other work as well now that he's not full time.

Mark Millar on loan and we'd be a much, much better team. Make it so, Holt.

It'd only work if the formation changed. 3 attacking midfielders and 2 strikers is leaving us short of options in the middle of the park meaning we're blasting aimless balls forward far, far too often.

No idea why I just remembered this, but Barry Nicholson was in the Falkirk end at the game against Clyde last week. Has anyone heard anything about him training with us or that, or would he just be heading down to take in a game?

Seen him at the game with Scott Severin. Pretty sure he is (or was) on trial with Killie and I know Severin stays local so probably just there to watch a game.

On that showing, we definitely haven't strengthened at all (since last season). Roberts has a bit of ability, but it's equally clear that he has major flaws in his game that have led to him being where he is. If those can be rectified, then he'll be fine.........but its a major 'if".

Loy delivered pretty much what i expected..........drifted in and out of the game. Vaulks is definitely an impressive lad, but seems to have a bombscare moment in him in just about every game he plays..........be it the og howler at Forfar, the gifted equalizer against Clyde, or yesterday's blunder...........just lapses in concentration that I think he is well capable of sorting out.

Jay Fulton is a talented player, but in a midfield that carries little in the way of physical presence, he increasingly looks like a luxury we can't afford.

Can't disagree with most other's summary at this point in time...........we need a centre back (DD not replaced), and we need something else in midfield. Vaulks, Duffie and Kingsley...............we have three quarters of a very good back four there, yet it's still not right. Midfield has been our weak point for years now, and we seem to be unable to fix it properly.

We should (on paper) be top three contenders, but on the park, we ain't particularly convincing.

Was just reflecting on how we've played so far, and the main points I think we can take from it is that a) Jay Fulton should be played deeper, in order to take advantage of his range of passing, b) Alston should be played centrally and c) we need to be a bit more balanced in the way the midfield is set up. Taking this into account, I think we would do some damage if we set up with a midfield trio of Ollie, Jay and Alston. Jay could sit deeper, taking the ball from the defense and spraying passes out to the attackers, with Alston being the 'runner', playing higher up than the other 2 and slaughtering defences with his bursting runs from midfield. Loy acts as the center forward with Roberts on one wing and one of Sibbs/Grant/McGrandles on the other. Of course the attackers are interchangeable when injuries/suspensions or dips in form occur, so Roberts for example could come in as the striker with another one of or kids filling in on the wing. Of course it's unlikely that Holt will adopt this, but, hypothetically, do you think this would work?

Just been on park....different from Stennie... I like stennies one, time will tell I suppose. The surface seems more grass strands than Stennie, only concern is we are guinea pigs with the surface. In the kickabout the bounce and pace all seemed good, Saturday tho will be the proof

Just been on park....different from Stennie... I like stennies one, time will tell I suppose. The surface seems more grass strands than Stennie, only concern is we are guinea pigs with the surface. In the kickabout the bounce and pace all seemed good, Saturday tho will be the proof

I've spoken to a couple of pros and they hate Ochilview, say its one of the worst.

Airdrie gets good feedback though.

Your right in that we are guinea pigs in the UK but this pitch is being used successfully in a couple of the top Dutch stadiums so should be ok.