The Falkirk FC Thread

I can exclusively reveal that our next signing will see the return of ex-Falkirk stalwart, Jean-Francois Lecsinel.

Edited by Gaz

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He'd be a tremendous signing - he's been one of the best midfielders in League 1 in the last two years and now is the right time for him to move into full-time football. Given Falkirk's current situation, he's pretty much everything you're looking for!

Was he on trial at West Brom last summer or did I imagine reading that ??

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Was he on trial at West Brom last summer or did I imagine reading that ??

No, you're bang on. West Brom and Aberdeen have both taken him on trial and while they were impressed with his ability on the ball, they felt he lacked the physicality to make it at either club. Nevertheless, he could just be what Falkirk are looking for - a box-to-box midfielder with a big heart and the ability to pop up with seven or eight goals a season.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

No, you're bang on. West Brom and Aberdeen have both taken him on trial and while they were impressed with his ability on the ball, they felt he lacked the physicality to make it at either club. Nevertheless, he could just be what Falkirk are looking for - a box-to-box midfielder with a big heart and the ability to pop up with seven or eight goals a season.

Sounds like he’s well proven at his current level with the potential that will likely see him move on at some point. He may jump at his first chance of first time football.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Sounds like he’s well proven at his current level with the potential that will likely see him move on at some point. He may jump at his first chance of first time football.

Absolutely. Given the position Falkirk are in, they're probably limited to the kind of players they're able to attract (over-the-hill duds looking for one final payday  or youngsters who are never quite good enough but still cling on to being a full-time footballer) but Kyle Turner makes sense on almost every level - ambitious, knows the division well, relatively inexpensive.

Absolutely. Given the position Falkirk are in, they're probably limited to the kind of players they're able to attract (over-the-hill duds looking for one final payday  or youngsters who are never quite good enough but still cling on to being a full-time footballer) but Kyle Turner makes sense on almost every level - ambitious, knows the division well, relatively inexpensive.
The way you are describing him makes him sound almost a perfect signing for what we need.

This will make the John Rankin announcment even harder to take tbh.

21 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think a couple of part-timers may be required to fill out our squad and I know that your big striker, McGuigan, is well thought of. Do you think that he could do us a turn? 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Greenock hands down, win the cringiest nickname in Scottish football award. 

'The Ton' is maybe obvious and slightly unimaginative but certainly not cringey.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

I think a couple of part-timers may be required to fill out our squad and I know that your big striker, McGuigan, is well thought of. Do you think that he could do us a turn? 

You'd need to pay a fee for him as he signed a two-year contract with us a couple of months ago. Would Falkirk be prepared to entertain a hybrid squad? I'd imagine they'll stay full time and get promoted at the first attempt. I can't imagine Mark leaving - I recorded a podcast with him last May and he spoke about how part-time football suits him and how he balances it with family and his other pursuits.

1 minute ago, Trump said:

He’s contracted for next season, I’d doubt we would pay a fee for him.

Ach well, never mind. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to pay a fee for a part timer when the idea would be to save money on wages in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

You'd need to pay a fee for him as he signed a two-year contract with us a couple of months ago. Would Falkirk be prepared to entertain a hybrid squad? I'd imagine they'll stay full time and get promoted at the first attempt. I can't imagine Mark leaving - I recorded a podcast with him last May and he spoke about how part-time football suits him and how he balances it with family and his other pursuits.

Aye, Trump's just replied to say that he's contracted. I think it would make sense to have 2 or 3 part-timers in the squad though if that would release a bit more to spend on others with a bit more quality. 

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, Trump's just replied to say that he's contracted. I think it would make sense to have 2 or 3 part-timers in the squad though if that would release a bit more to spend on others with a bit more quality. 

We’d be as well locking the doors if we’re going to go down that road. We should be doing everything possible to get navk up at the first attempt. Very few part time players are going to be of the quality required and a club with out support shouldn’t need to resort to it.

10 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

I’d prefer our current owners, who while flawed at least have the club in their hearts than becoming a feeder club for Sunderland thanks very much.

I’d prefer our current owners, who while flawed at least have the club in their hearts than becoming a feeder club for Sunderland thanks very much.

I’ll respectively disagree with you and would be interested to find out more before drawing a conclusion. There’s a lot more to this than us being a feeder club to Sunderland.
Quick question, what’s the difference between being a feeder club and going down the route of taking the majority of our players on loan every season as is the current situation? Why exactly are these players loaned to us?

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I’ll respectively disagree with you and would be interested to find out more before drawing a conclusion. There’s a lot more to this than us being a feeder club to Sunderland.
Quick question, what’s the difference between being a feeder club and going down the route of taking the majority of our players on loan every season as is the current situation? Why exactly are these players loaned to us?

They’re loaned to us because we’ve chosen to have them here to help the team. The last thing we want is becoming a B team for Sunderland and the whole thing being set up to develop their players and us being an afterthought.

If a player is doing well for us, they’ll be off to Sunderland in a shot with us having no say in the matter. If they want to develop a player for their first team, they’ll come and play for us whether we want him or not.

Remember the Ashley saga at Rangers where they were supposedly forced to play loanees. The board shouldn’t entertain any feeder club proposals.

Edited by LatapyBairn

They’re loaned to us because we’ve chosen to have them here to help the team. The last thing we want is becoming a B team for Sunderland and the whole thing being set up to develop their players and us being an afterthought.
If a player is doing well for us, they’ll be off to Sunderland in a shot with us having no say in the matter. If they want to develop a player for their first team, they’ll come and play for us whether we want him or not.
Remember the Ashley saga at Rangers where they were supposedly forced to play loanees. The board shouldn’t entertain any feeder club proposals.

I think we’d need to understand the governance that would be put in place before drawing conclusions. For example how would we be compensated for players moving to Sunderland following a successful stint?
There’s a few big clubs in Europe, US and Australia acting as feeder clubs to English teams already.
I just want to understand the wider picture, particularly if they are interested in developing around/completing the stadium.
We lost the Academy due to mismanagement and don’t appear to have the funds to set it up again.
A door opens here and whilst it sounds far from ideal I don’t want to be discounting anything on the basis of a few words in a red top newspaper....