The Falkirk FC Thread

Surprised at that given our Lord and Saviour Gary Deans said we were trying to keep him. I'd wager we offered him about 80 quid a week.

I'd be stunned if we can replace him with someone even close to equal quality. Thistle have Graham, Rudden and Lyons. We have Sammon. That's almost insurmountable from the off.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Surprised at that given our Lord and Saviour Gary Deans said we were trying to keep him. I'd wager we offered him about 80 quid a week.

I'd be stunned if we can replace him with someone even close to equal quality. Thistle have Graham, Rudden and Lyons. We have Sammon. That's almost insurmountable from the off.

There will be 100’s of players available so I wouldn’t make predictions too early. He doesn’t want to be here, that’s fine we move on. No point getting wound up by someone who jumps at the first chance to go. Grass isn’t always greener, ask Rory Loy. 

Just now, CC52 FFC said:

There will be 100’s of players available so I wouldn’t make predictions too early. He doesn’t want to be here, that’s fine we move on. No point getting wound up by someone who jumps at the first chance to go. Grass isn’t always greener, ask Rory Loy. 

We're in League One and signed a shower of shite in January. Miller and McCracken will need to massively improve on that track record to get someone half as good as McManus.

It is not impossible that those players are out there but I have no faith is us 1) finding them, 2) signing them and 3) compensating them appropriately. 

Guys going to get more money elsewhere and probably wants another shot at a higher level where he's always struggled to score goals  before . Not much you can do if he decides his future is somewhere else. Guys that score twenty goals a season even if it is league one arent easy to find though.

Came in on loan and was easily one of our hardest working players and that’s before his goals.

You would imagine he’d be going to the championship most likely to replace Nisbet at Dunfermline.

Guest Ecosse83

It's a shame we couldn't get him back, I'd happily wager though he will struggle to score more than 10 goals in the Championship. He won't be able to bully defenders the same as he did in League 1!

Edited by Ecosse83

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Sammon has played at a far higher level than the 3 of them will ever see.  Surely there must be a player in there especially at this level but its up to the managers to try and get the most out of him and play to his strengths. 

7 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

It's a shame we couldn't get him back, I'd happily wager though he will struggle to score more than 10 goals in the Championship. He won't be able to bully defenders the same as he did in League 1!

How much you want to bet?

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

We're in League One and signed a shower of shite in January. Miller and McCracken will need to massively improve on that track record to get someone half as good as McManus.

It is not impossible that those players are out there but I have no faith is us 1) finding them, 2) signing them and 3) compensating them appropriately. 

Agreed the signings must be better than previous, but again there will be a larger pool available. I’d imagine we would have made McManus our highest paid player to get him. If memory serves me right he doesn’t stay longer than a year or two at any club he’s been at. I thought maybe he would have liked a bit of continuity and the chance to fire us up.

Guest Ecosse83
3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

How much you want to bet?

Packet of wine gums?

10 or more goals over 27 games will take some doing 😛

10 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

If we'd been selected for promotion (like Raith), are you saying you wouldn't want him to continue as our main attacking threat? 

Guest Ecosse83
2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Deal.

If anyone else fancies under 10.5 league goals if he signs for a Championship club then let me know.

Over a 27 game season?

6 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

If we'd been selected for promotion (like Raith), are you saying you wouldn't want him to continue as our main attacking threat? 

I wouldn't have wanted to rely on him for goals in the championship. History shows he doesn't score a lot at that level. His work rate though is second to none so you'd still want him in your side but you'd need to have someone else in there to shoulder some of the goal scoring responsibility.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Ecosse83
4 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Obviously I would have liked him to stay but wouldn't expect him to be our main attacking threat in a division where he has just been ok.

Just my opinion!

McManus is a tough one to replace but was probably inevitable. I think (and this is not a criticism) he is pretty money driven and we will be outbid from above easily.

Confirmation of him leaving does draw into sharp focus the desperate need to replace him well though.

I'm not usually overly pessimistic, in fact sometimes I am optimistic in the face of common sense and reason, however, I do not feel good about this season at all. Unless McCall has completely lost it as a manager, he will have Thistle routinely skelping everyone, and even if we are the exception and can go toe to with them in our three games, we wont reach the level of relentless consistency needed.

It's sad to say but our best Hope's for next season hinge on Thislte fucking it up IMO.