The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I honestly don’t know, but after all the Goodwillie rumpus, I’d have thought that Raith would be keen to make a fresh start with someone untainted.

From an FFC point of view, I’d be delighted to have him.

……and I would be the opposite. Don’t buy the covid assisted hand up he had to “win” the league. Look at his managerial achievements  as whole (or his complete RR history), and it isn’t special……or even very good.

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

……and I would be the opposite. Don’t buy the covid assisted hand up he had to “win” the league. Look at his managerial achievements  as whole (or his complete RR history), and it isn’t special……or even very good.

I have to disagree it's pretty decent. Didn't work out at hearts but things were tight there at the time and he still got them to a cup final. At livi his first season was ok second not so good. Raith he's won 2 league ones , a challenge cup and had them runners up in the championship . We'd take any of that just now. 

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

That’s statement sounds like they have someone up and I hope I’m reading to much into it but please god don’t be Kenny Miller. 

McGlynn, McIntyre or Murray for me.

It is not going to be Kenny miller.

52 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

You would imagine we have to bring in someone at least remotely competent but we can't be confident that's the case.

I assumed after Cones that it was impossible to downgrade but the new board managed it somehow 

Surely this time they actually appoint a real football manager.

I think if Rice manages to get his Alloa side above us (and that will certainly be an aim for him), then that just might be a bit of humble pie that the vast majority of us need to take a big slice of.

Since they have been put in place, I hope our BoD have taken onboard two lessons

1) Like every other club not signing Goodwillie, there are ethical grounds that should never be abandoned for the sake of a bit of football “success”. It’s not indulging in something “unpopular”, it’s indulging in something that is reputational suicide.

2) He who talks the best managerial game isn’t necessarily the best manager. There is a need to forensically dissect a CV to see beyond the fluffy words. For example, in the MLS, “post season” and “play offs” are not the same thing.

Guest Ecosse83
10 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Very harsh. Promoted twice with Raith. Couldn’t sign any players with Hearts and had to play youth. Improved Livingston when he first went in. Not sure what you want him to be doing 😂

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I have to disagree it's pretty decent. Didn't work out at hearts but things were tight there at the time and he still got them to a cup final. At livi his first season was ok second not so good. Raith he's won 2 league ones , a challenge cup and had them runners up in the championship . We'd take any of that just now. 

I don’t think he “won” 2 League 1s. You sure about that? Look at his RR more closely season by season. It is not great. He was manager for how long with RR in L1? Don’t make the mistake of seeing someone as less of a mess as Sheerin and Rennie as being “good”.

We all make our decisions, and I think McGlynn would be a bad move. Just my opinion.

…..and despite two RR promotions, they are Championship for the first time in a good while………and that was down to Covid. The man was prepared to say anything to prevent his team having to play TFS game. To this day, I believe we would have beaten them, and I think McGlynn thought it too.

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

…..and despite two RR promotions, they are Championship for the first time in a good while………and that was down to Covid. The man was prepared to say anything to prevent his team having to play TFS game. To this day, I believe we would have beaten them, and I think McGlynn thought it too.

Sounds like exactly the sort of guy we need. We are in no position for sour grapes. 

I've got no skin in the game but I think Raith have won something like 1 game in 15 since the middle of November? There's a reason he and they went all-in on Goodwillie. Given the start they made, they should be up there with Killie and Arbroath but they've managed to somehow not even beat us this season and we are utter dung.

I don't think the board should take any flack over appointing Rennie.  It might have worked but it didn't.  The best thing is they played a blinder only giving him a 6 month contract.  If only previous boards did something like this with both managers and players we would have a darn sight more cash in the bank than we do now and it would be easier to get rid of the dead wood clogging up the team.

Guest Ecosse83

I’m just glad sensible heads prevailed in this situation. The board as previously stated have made a very sensible decision only giving him 6 months to see how things played out. It clearly hasn’t worked and both parties have decided to part ways. 

At least Rennie hasn’t lumbered us with shite for next season so that’s a bonus.

20 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We got out League 1 quicker than Falkirk. Before our relegation, we'd been in the Championship with Falkirk since 2010/11 season. 

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I've got no skin in the game but I think Raith have won something like 1 game in 15 since the middle of November? There's a reason he and they went all-in on Goodwillie. Given the start they made, they should be up there with Killie and Arbroath but they've managed to somehow not even beat us this season and we are utter dung.

There's been a few factors. The Goodwillie situation has been a shitshow undoubtedly, but it didn't help that we lost two relatively attacking midfielders (Spencer, Tait) while our defence has been plagued with injuries. That combined with a drop off in the goals from the likes of Zanatta and it was always going to be difficult. 

Where Raith Rovers are just now, and where Livi and Hearts were under Mcglynn,  is absolutely miles away from where Falkirk are.

Mcglynn came in 3 and half years ago to a very similar situation.  A piss poor squad hoping to get where they wanted to simply by being full time.  

He would be a massive upgrade on anyone that's managed Falkirk for years.

You can tell how low expectations are at Falkirk that the Board are getting praised for only giving a short-term contract to the PE teacher they made Head Coach.

You'd have to think that a decent managerial appointment and a couple of good signings would make Falkirk strong title contenders.

Amazingly, you've already lost more games than we did when finishing 7th in 14/15. That was our worst season since the 1970s and it takes some effort to surpass that level of incompetence.

19 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You can tell how low expectations are at Falkirk that the Board are getting praised for only giving a short-term contract to the PE teacher they made Head Coach.

You'd have to think that a decent managerial appointment and a couple of good signings would make Falkirk strong title contenders.

Amazingly, you've already lost more games than we did when finishing 7th in 14/15. That was our worst season since the 1970s and it takes some effort to surpass that level of incompetence.

Have you shower not enough issues of your own without coming on here and polluting the air?