The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

A guy who from the outside looks like he couldn't have done a worse job if he had tried to.

The funny thing is i saw Darvel nearly appointed him, I can only imagine they wanted to be relegated or a collapse from the inside.

He even gave his laddie a 2 year deal he got loaned out and even Gretna wouldn't play him.

Edited by AL-FFC

I remember being genuinely shocked at the lack of outrage when he signed his own lad who'd never had a professional club before. Plenty folk giving it the "have you seen him play before, give him a chance" shite. If it wasn't clear before then, it was certainly obvious that he was ripping the pish at that point.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Bit disappointed in the retention of Mckay and Oliver. Mckay cos he's gone back to being murder, Oliver cos of what someone above said.... We can't just keep retaining "ok for the squad" type players and there's just not enough goals in him. . 

There was no active decision to retain McKay though. He signed a three-year contract - without question, one of the worst bits of transfer business ever undertaken by this club - and he still has a year left. Dire, but his name was never going to appear on  released list at this stage.

In terms of the likes of Oliver etc - maybe I'm wide of the mark here, but if they have options for an additional year, would the club not announce that these options have been taken up? So whilst none of them are gone, is it possible that discussions are ongoing and there may yet be departures for some of them? 

Today's list was pretty much the low-hanging fruit in terms of players being punted. Generally easy stuff, pretty much as expected. I said in an earlier post, if McGlynn wants to hold onto his job for any length of time, he'll need to ditch the olds pals act and start making some hard, unsentimental decisions about squad make-up. I trust these are still to come.

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I remember being genuinely shocked at the lack of outrage when he signed his own lad who'd never had a professional club before. Plenty folk giving it the "have you seen him play before, give him a chance" shite. If it wasn't clear before then, it was certainly obvious that he was ripping the pish at that point.

To quote Tony Benn here but this fits our old board completely:

“I think there are two ways in which people are controlled. First of all frighten people and secondly, demoralise them.”

The only way they could frighten us anymore would be to sign Leo Fasan again.

Edited by AL-FFC

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

There was no active decision to retain McKay though. He signed a three-year contract - without question, one of the worst bits of transfer business ever undertaken by this club - and he still has a year left. Dire, but his name was never going to appear on  released list at this stage.

In terms of the likes of Oliver etc - maybe I'm wide of the mark here, but if they have options for an additional year, would the club not announce that these options have been taken up? So whilst none of them are gone, is it possible that discussions are ongoing and there may yet be departures for some of them? 

Today's list was pretty much the low-hanging fruit in terms of players being punted. Generally easy stuff, pretty much as expected. I said in an earlier post, if McGlynn wants to hold onto his job for any length of time, he'll need to ditch the olds pals act and start making some hard, unsentimental decisions about squad make-up. I trust these are still to come.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on the retention of Oliver aye.

Centre half worries me because whilst I am in an apparently shrinking number of fans who thinks Donaldson can still do an OK job, the caveat fir me there is that his partner can't be Mckay, Hendo or Watson. Since two of them haven't really worked and Watson was always better being led by PG rather than leading himself. We need one man in charge of that defence and as far as I can see, he doesn't play for us yet. 

I'd forgotten that the boy Hetherington was still at your lot. 

On Burrell, I think if you'd asked most Pars fans at half time of the first game at EEP most of us would have taken him; now maybe not so much. To be honest there haven't been too many League One opponents that have impressed enough that I'd want to sign them - Frizell and Gallagher at Airdrie maybe although I gather the latter is earning plenty outside of football, we've been linked with Paton at Queens, who I would take possibly - although I guess we'll be looking at players higher up the food chain. 

I must watch a different Burrell to everyone else, "runs tirelessly", "showed a lot of heart"...... Done f**k all of that when starting games for us.

I thought his workrate was terrible, his showing in the semi and playoff games was laughable to be honest and to me that was the reason he wasn't getting game time earlier too.

Oliver simply cannot be our starting 9 next year, that's obvious but I wouldn't limit our ambitions there to Burrell.

5 minutes ago, AGPar said:

That's what I'm thinking. Or hoping. They could yet be in discussions and may or may not stay. Id be quite shocked if PJ stays given when fit and being a permanent signing hardly got a look in. You'd imagine he won't want to play back up again because I don't see him being first choice. 

I think we need to sign a striker with the thought that Allan will start in a front 2 alongside them. That striker for me needs to have the linkup traits of Oliver but also provide more of a goal scoring threat in the air since we seem to love swinging in crosses from wide areas to nobody. Alegria provided this and proved why his loss was a key one.

McGlynn seems to have this love-in with playing 1 upfront which has to change otherwise Allan being signed for cash is rendered useless imo.

Edited by HopeStreetCadette

Not overly concerned about Oliver and McKay not being on the list. I don’t think McGlynn is a good enough manager to get us out of this league, but he’s not stupid and he’ll have told the board to move on McKay and Oliver. Given he’s already under pressure, he won’t want to start next season with 2 guys in the squad that are nowhere near good enough. They’ll both be away.

On the flip side, hopefully the no news on Lawal is good news.

I think there is a player in Burrell somewhere but McGlynn was never going to be the coach to find it. He’s been a mixed bag for us admittedly but I do wish the young lad every success in the future.

24 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

The crowning turd on the shitpile giving his pretend at being a goalie offspring a contract when the boy couldn't keep weans out a close. 

What was funnier was Gary Deans telling fans there was no nepotism 

I still maintain Allan and Wright were panic signings. We lost the one guy who was good at playing the one up top role in Alegria and he just wasn't replaced. We needed strikers with the clock ticking and we signed that pair. Allan may prove useful but not in the way McGlynn wants to play so he's either got to find a way of fitting him in or punt him out on loan. The boy had ten goals in a pish Clyde team before he signed for us and is on record as saying he hoped he'd get twenty! Not in this team you wont

23 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The funny thing is i saw Darvel nearly appointed him, I can only imagine they wanted to be relegated or a collapse from the inside.

He even gave his laddie a 2 year deal he got loaned out and even Gretna wouldn't play him.

For those interested (none) and those who enjoy a laugh, Luke Holt played exactly zero minutes for a Lowestoft Town F.C., in the Isthmian League North Division (Tier 8 of English football), in 2022-2023. On the squad page he isn’t even listed as a keeper, but “other”.

Just now, ebobsboy said:

I still maintain Allan and Wright were panic signings. We lost the one guy who was good at playing the one up top role in Alegria and he just wasn't replaced. We needed strikers with the clock ticking and we signed that pair. Allan may prove useful but not in the way McGlynn wants to play so he's either got to find a way of fitting him in or punt him out on loan. The boy had ten goals in a pish Clyde team before he signed for us and is on record as saying he hoped he'd get twenty! Not in this team you wont

To be fair to McGlynn he probably signed Matty Wright with the thought he’d be the Juan replacement but unfortunately he tripped over the ball more times than goals scored for the club.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

For those interested (none) and those who enjoy a laugh, Luke Holt played exactly zero minutes for a Lowestoft Town F.C., in the Isthmian League North Division (Tier 8 of English football), in 2022-2023. On the squad page he isn’t even listed as a keeper, but “other”.

I wonder at what point the penny drops with the lad that a he isn't very good or b his agent must have some pics to be able to get him signed by anybody

32 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The only thing worse in any business than an absolute Diddy at their job, is an arrogant, nepotistic Diddy.

1 hour ago, Roboccop said:

I understand Burrell was offered a contract extension earlier in the year but his agent refused to discuss it then. I suspect he has been courted by other clubs. 

I think this is closer to the truth than some fallout with McGlynn or huff.

He came here to put himself in the shop window and if he's had interest from elsewhere then he's succeeded. 

Its also possible he wants a return south and clubs there have a possible interest so he'd rather try his luck earning a deal in England than stay with us where he won't be 1st choice, far from home.

Interesting to see where he turns up.

Edited by Blame Me