The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I would keep McGlynn. There is risk on both sides of keeping or not keeping.

The last quarter of last season was very concerning, we absolutely imploded and played very poorly, poor tactical decisions, inability to change tactics during a game when we all knew they weren't working. Picking wrong formations, didn't know our best formations and team and players that didn't always look entirely motivated IMO. Not beating our key rivals in the big games (1 win in 10 versus Airdrie and Pars) is simply unacceptable next season.

Having said all of that, we did improve playing wise for large chunks of the season and league position wise (I'm ignoring the cup). We scored more goals, more points, better goal difference etc. I also think changing managers every season hasn't worked and while there is improvement we should give that improvement time to continue improving. To get rid of McGlynn would mean buying out his contract and Smiths contract which wont be cheap, so I'd rather that money was used on McGlynn bringing in another 2-4 players? While I don't particularly like McGlynns tactics I do like him and want him to do well. I think he also communicates well with the fans post match and that hasn't always been the case since Houstie.

In summation I'd keep, however on the strict remit that he is top of the league 9 games in and top by a minimum of 3-6 points after 18 games. We've let Cove beat us by a margin in this league before and that simply cant be acceptable to happen again, there are no excuses this season, same manager, his own team, biggest budget etc.

Thanks for your input, cheers.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

While I don't particularly like McGlynns tactics I do like him and want him to do well. I think he also communicates well with the fans post match and that hasn't always been the case since Houstie.

In summation I'd keep, however on the strict remit that he is top of the league 9 games in and top by a minimum of 3-6 points after 18 games. We've let Cove beat us by a margin in this league before and that simply cant be acceptable to happen again, there are no excuses this season, same manager, his own team, biggest budget etc.

First paragraph is probable spot on for the majority of supporters, but the credibility factor unfortunately is at zero following the seasons climax, where for me he was found wanting.

Cant argue with the latter, the expectations are to assemble a good winning team, off to a flyer and top of league till season end. As earlier posted, I think he has at best the first quarter+, if not I don’t think he’ll last that much longer. 

5 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

May I ask an innocent question? Are you for keeping McGlynn or would you rather see him gone?

The reason that I am asking is that it is all about perspective and from my "McGlynn out" perspective, I thought that McGlynn still had a lot of support here on P&B. @PedroMoutinho, @caractacus potts, myself and recently @Duncan Freemason have all been keen to see McGlynn being replaced but others such as @Back Post Misses, @grumpyoldman, @Reggie Perrin and @Shodwall cat all seemed to be in favour of keeping him on.

On that subject, if we were to hold a straw poll on P&B right now(Falkirk fans only please), who would vote to keep McGlynn and who would vote to trebuchet him?

Now.... I don't know I'd have to think long and hard. I do see the risks of both. BOFA Bairn probably sums it up well enough. 

Were I in charge though we wouldn't be having this chat though as I'd have launched him at HT in Airdrie. 

Being a hopeless football fan who dreams of the impossible happening on a regular basis, iv now hung my hat on McGlynn knowing what's needed and being able to sign correctly, and having convinced the board that he needs the second of his 2 season plan.

His oft discussed credit bank is empty though. He and the players get no cut whatsoever for a poor start. 

Id have voted launch during the aftermath of leg 1, but now I'm going to have to be completely honest and say I don't know. 

I'm glad it's not my call. My very weak gut instinct would be to sack and replace but I just don't know if I would do it now or if I'd talk myself out of it. 

11 minutes ago, Springfield said:

First paragraph is probable spot on for the majority of supporters, but the credibility factor unfortunately is at zero following the seasons climax, where for me he was found wanting.

Cant argue with the latter, the expectations are to assemble a good winning team, off to a flyer and top of league till season end. As earlier posted, I think he has at best the first quarter+, if not I don’t think he’ll last that much longer. 

Not my post that you're quoting bud, must be a glitch in the system.

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The last quarter of last season was very concerning, we absolutely imploded and played very poorly, poor tactical decisions, inability to change tactics during a game when we all knew they weren't working. Picking wrong formations, didn't know our best formations and team and players that didn't always look entirely motivated IMO. Not beating our key rivals in the big games (1 win in 10 versus Airdrie and Pars) is simply unacceptable next season. These rivals games are effectively 6 pointers and create a bigger swing that beating or losing to lower and mid table teams. Our record against the bottom 7 sides wasn't too different than Dunfermlines I'd wager but losing twice to them (ignoring the 2 draws) rather than winning created a 12 point swing in their favour rather than ours.

Having said all of that, we did improve playing wise for large chunks of the season and league position wise (I'm ignoring the cup). We scored more goals, more points, better goal difference etc. I also think changing managers every season hasn't worked and while there is improvement we should give that improvement time to continue improving. To get rid of McGlynn would mean buying out his contract and Smiths contract which wont be cheap, so I'd rather that money was used on McGlynn bringing in another 2-4 players? While I don't particularly like McGlynns tactics I do like him and want him to do well. I think he also communicates well with the fans post match and that hasn't always been the case since Houstie.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

5 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

May I ask an innocent question? Are you for keeping McGlynn or would you rather see him gone?

The reason that I am asking is that it is all about perspective and from my "McGlynn out" perspective, I thought that McGlynn still had a lot of support here on P&B. @PedroMoutinho, @caractacus potts, myself and recently @Duncan Freemason have all been keen to see McGlynn being replaced but others such as @Back Post Misses, @grumpyoldman, @Reggie Perrin and @Shodwall cat all seemed to be in favour of keeping him on.

On that subject, if we were to hold a straw poll on P&B right now(Falkirk fans only please), who would vote to keep McGlynn and who would vote to trebuchet him?

I wouldn’t say I was necessarily pro McGlynn, but it was always going to be the case that he was staying. 

19 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

I wouldn’t say I was necessarily pro McGlynn, but it was always going to be the case that he was staying. 

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's a not-entirely-convinced "stay" from me.

I think these sum it up. The fact that even as the playoffs unfolded a lot of us were saying "there's no way they'll sack him" has fed into a grudging "he can stay but he better have a good summer" opinion. 

3 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

The last quarter of last season was very concerning, we absolutely imploded and played very poorly, poor tactical decisions, inability to change tactics during a game when we all knew they weren't working. Picking wrong formations, didn't know our best formations and team and players that didn't always look entirely motivated IMO. Not beating our key rivals in the big games (1 win in 10 versus Airdrie and Pars) is simply unacceptable next season. These rivals games are effectively 6 pointers and create a bigger swing that beating or losing to lower and mid table teams. Our record against the bottom 7 sides wasn't too different than Dunfermlines I'd wager but losing twice to them (ignoring the 2 draws) rather than winning created a 12 point swing in their favour rather than ours.

Sums it up for me too, we all started the season knowing our budget was still half full (or empty) of Holts signings and we've seen a massive improvement on the horror shows we've been subjected to.

The collapse post Dunfermline away seemed to take McGlynn by surprise and we never looked settled afterwards with changes in team selection and tactics. 

My biggest worry with McGlynn has been how reticent/unable he is to change our approach when things aren't going well in a game and we've seen a few teams change it up against us and get results. 

I definitely think it would be a mistake to get rid of him now but he absolutely needs to get this transfer window right.

Guest Ecosse83

Right after Airdrie I was wanting him gone and ideally still do tbf. But….. he has improved us, albeit from a very low position. The last few months were very worrying though. 

If it was just a case of bye bye with no pay off etc then he would probably already be away. I reckon the board will take the risk and put any money available into the playing squad and give him next season and not use it having to replace the management team. 

If he gets off to a bad start the fans will turn very quick. No excuses at all now! 

Edited by Ecosse83

4 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Sums it up for me too, we all started the season knowing our budget was still half full (or empty) of Holts signings and we've seen a massive improvement on the horror shows we've been subjected to.

The collapse post Dunfermline away seemed to take McGlynn by surprise and we never looked settled afterwards with changes in team selection and tactics. 

My biggest worry with McGlynn has been how reticent/unable he is to change our approach when things aren't going well in a game and we've seen a few teams change it up against us and get results. 

I definitely think it would be a mistake to get rid of him now but he absolutely needs to get this transfer window right.

It's strange though because if I remember correctly he wasn't so reticent against us when at Raith. I mind the game we played at Starks when we were two up and cruising at half time. Mcglynn took two defenders off at half time and stuck another striker and a winger on and we were hanging on for a draw at the end of the 90. 

Had a chat with McGlynn at the recent Awards night at the Inchyra where he was a bit alone as I think folks didn’t like to go and speak to him. Anyway, he’s very amenable and happy to chat although I didn’t like  to get into tactics, formations, etc. He did say he was working hard on next season (this was pre the Airdrie disaster) but obviously no details. On a personal level, if we somehow reached the Cup Final, he’d need to rearrange his holidays and Mrs McG wouldn’t be too happy!

I was sat at a table with Henderson and Donaldson and it was obvious that they held the Manager in the highest regard and Donaldson actually said that he would be happy to follow McGlynn wherever his managerial career took him.

The mood music with all the players was similar in that they seemed quite a united bunch.

Dont know that this tells us much other than they seem to reckon he’s a top man.

Maybe that’s changed now, of course?

8 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

He lost my backing during the ridiculous first half in Airdrie.

On 20/05/2023 at 13:53, RC55 FFC said:

IMG_2106.thumb.jpeg.9fdaaf264dd05a6c4a4734d5cc1eff27.jpeg

Cheers for the questions submitted so far on a range of topics including the new pitch, budgets, signings, Strips, stadium completion, Sponsorship ideas, fanzones & stadium catering ideas. 

Deadline will be tomorrow night.

Appreciate that I'm slightly over the deadline for this but can you ask if we will have men on the posts while defending corners?

13 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Appreciate that I'm slightly over the deadline for this but can you ask if we will have men on the posts while defending corners?

Nevermind Swinney, when's the next signing Chinatoon?

3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Going to be a right good laugh when we finally get promoted, then instantly relegated again

I like your optimism. 

The year we do eventually win this league, some rule will be brought in regarding the stadium, the car park or some other such petty thing that will disqualify us from promotion