The Falkirk FC Thread

Trebuchet wins for me. Patience was wearing thin with him given the performances and results, the cup semi and playoff disaster just put the lid on it.  What was also quite alarming was the players seemed to have thrown the towel in, if they start that he might be out a job quicker than he thinks. I think if he his kept which looks likely he'll be gone by Christmas possibly before. 

There’s not a supporter who doesn’t want the management to to do well, and hopefully he gets the correct signings in place.
However should we see anything like this seasons collapse it doesn’t take Einstein to work out the scenario if we falter at the first quarter. He’s more than likely to be told he’s got the initial second period to recover ( only if we’re not too far off pace) Failure and he’s out. Let’s hope these signings are good, because those still here have proved they ain’t good enough.

55 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

To see him stand there like a deer caught in the headlights was toe curlingly bad. 

That is what finished him for me.

Absolutely no idea how to react to the disaster happening right in front of him.

I’d keep him for now as I think, on the whole, he’s brought in some decent personnel. 
Its his tactical nous I have concerns about, so if we start badly next season I’d give him the push and aim to bring in someone more tactically astute. We should have decent enough players to get to the Xmas transfer window in contention……

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Keep him.

Reasoning: Dumping another manager just reinforces the perception FFC are a hire-and-fire outfit (that perception is pretty accurate) That in turn would put off the quality applications required and potential player signings together with the current squad unrest that they are about to join the long list of Falkirk Player Churn.

However if McGlynn does not get off to a flying start then he will be away after 12 games as the fans will turn on him and it's Deja vu of another season of turmoil.

Whatever happens even if its promotion McGlynn will go at the end of the season

Is that really true though? Seen it mentioned a few times and I don't really buy it. It's not as if these managers are being sacked harshly and not given a fair chance, they've been sacked for, at best, not meeting entirely reasable aims, and at worst falling miles behind the required targets like finishing 6th in the league.

Any manager going into Falkirk in League 1 knows the aim is to get promotion and that they will have the budget to do so. I don't see the problem with them knowing that if they fail they'll be sacked and I don't think any self-respecting manager would see a problem with that either. They'll know that they should be getting promoted and will back themselves to do that.

Not saying that McGlynn should or shouldn't be sacked, but I don't really think the above reason is a valid reason not to sack him.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Yogi. He's did his stint and his last few jobs have been a disaster. His stock is on the wane although he keeps applying for jobs in the premiership so his ego is still going strong at least.  No thanks.

McCall, obvious choice but he knocked us back before, not sure he'd come back. Knows how to win this league though. 

Alan Maybury, did a decent job at Edinburgh. 

Stuart Petrie at Montrose did well for them.

Kevin Thomson same at Kelty before he quit.  

Then you've got those doing punditry work, John Robertson, Neil McCann, David Hopkin. 

And not forgetting the usual names like Jim McIntyre, Brian Rice.

Could Smith do a better job without McGlynn?

Who knows, personally I'd go for McCall. 

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Yogi. He's did his stint and his last few jobs have been a disaster. His stock is on the wane although he keeps applying for jobs in the premiership so his ego is still going strong at least.

In fairness to Yogi, his job before he joined us was keeping Ross Co in the Premiership, I’d say he was very unlucky not to be kept on there after keeping them up. But yeah before that was the relegation with Raith. It’s maybe just a thing with Fife teams… 

57 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Is that really true though? Seen it mentioned a few times and I don't really buy it. It's not as if these managers are being sacked harshly and not given a fair chance, they've been sacked for, at best, not meeting entirely reasable aims, and at worst falling miles behind the required targets like finishing 6th in the league.

Any manager going into Falkirk in League 1 knows the aim is to get promotion and that they will have the budget to do so. I don't see the problem with them knowing that if they fail they'll be sacked and I don't think any self-respecting manager would see a problem with that either. They'll know that they should be getting promoted and will back themselves to do that.

Not saying that McGlynn should or shouldn't be sacked, but I don't really think the above reason is a valid reason not to sack him.

The manager turnover in 5 years and the resulting player churn, as each one builds their own and in our case inept sides that don't get promoted indicate the premise is valid.

There are far too many of last season's failures signed for next season and the more that can be shipped out the better. Hand on heart with the exception of one or two would anybody be bothered if they got punted? nope didn't think so.

Guest Ecosse83
30 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The manager turnover in 5 years and the resulting player churn, as each one builds their own and in our case inept sides that don't get promoted indicate the premise is valid.

There are far too many of last season's failures signed for next season and the more that can be shipped out the better. Hand on heart with the exception of one or two would anybody be bothered if they got punted? nope didn't think so.

Mcglynn signed them but you want to keep Mcglynn? 

24 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

……….which brings me to another McGlynn myth……..that of “doing well shifting out the deadwood”. In this context, that has to mean unloading players not in the manager’s plans, but who all have contracts in place.

He inherited 14 players that ate up X% of the budget. His wheeling and dealing was meant to be the key to shifting a good number of those 14. Some on good money, others on “not a lot”.

So how many of those 14 did he manage to shift off the books permanently last summer? The answer would be none.

So how many did he manage to shift in January? The answer would be 2…..Seb Ross and Jamie Wilson……both by “mutual agreement” so in all probably a modest financial settlement to get them out the door.

He also managed to get Sneddon, Malcolm and Hetherington out on loan, but still with financial costs to FFC, and probably only one of them on good money.

So what about the other 9? Well, McCann, PJ, Martin, McKay, Nesbitt and Morrison all played a good few games, and often in preference to McGlynn’s own signings. Even McGuffie had a good few appearances. That leaves the injured Watson and Williamson. That he played Williamson at all was utterly ridiculous.

Anyway, the shifting of the deadwood didn’t really happen, and McGlynn settled instead for an extra £150k from the Board……..and even now, a few of his supposed “upgrades” are starting to look less than convincing.

I get worried that the measure for supporting McGlynn is that he has “improved” on the worst season in our history. It reminds me of a company that got a plump contract from bp. I was honest with their boss man, and said I didn’t find them to be that good at what they did. He said “We don’t have to be good. We just have to be less bad than the previous mob”.

That feels to me to be the ground that McGlynn currently occupies.

6 minutes ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

I suppose that’s true but Yeats was night and day when he played instead

Yeats showed a lot of passion when he played. However anyone would've started Williamson in the 1st leg as he's the natural right back. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

On the McGlynn front, I’m on the side of keeping him. There is a need for stability at the club after years of turmoil and failed managers. While tactically inept over the latter portion of the season, he is still our most competent manager since Houston (although not a very hard task to beat).

The mandate has to be a comfortable position at the top of the table after the first quarter/half of the league season. Anything less and I think we need to look at other avenues. Big few months ahead as many have already pointed out.

10 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Yeats showed a lot of passion when he played. However anyone would've started Williamson in the 1st leg as he's the natural right back. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I wouldn’t have and said so at the time. Don’t think he would have either had Yeats not got hurt at Peterhead and was not 100%. He could have still played MCKay at RB and MacKie at CH. IMO this was the main issue where there is no defence for McGlynn

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So what about the other 9? Well, McCann, PJ, Martin, McKay, Nesbitt and Morrison all played a good few games, and often in preference to McGlynn’s own signings. 

PJ was a McGlynn signing