The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, gav-ffc said:

Jamie Swinney discussed this on the Falkirk daft pod, cup bonuses are agreed round at a time they aren’t set out at the start of the season. 

I also don't imagine John McGlynn has carte blanche to go in there lobbing about bonus figures all by himself. Its one thing the Raith fans rattling on about the contracts he dished out to players, but if they are seriously expecting us to believe they all know the gory details of cup bonuses up to and including a cup win, and that they were all negotiated by John McGlynn with no club oversight then I'm calling bullshit, and if its not bullshit then they want to focus their attention on the absolute lunatics running their club. 

23 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It surely depends on how much the budget is being cut by.  A decent wad  of last year's budget would've been used to pay off some off the dross Holt landed on us. That amount will be far less this season so the actual budget available for new players could be about the same. 

Who got paid off? The only ones he shifted across the entire season was Seb Ross and Jamie Wilson, and that was in January. Hetherington, Malcolm and Sneddon were only loaned out.

24 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcglynn won the PFA Scottish manager of the year award back in 2011 I think it was so he surely must've been doing something right.

Yogi won it in 2015.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I also don't imagine John McGlynn has carte blanche to go in there lobbing about bonus figures all by himself. Its one thing the Raith fans rattling on about the contracts he dished out to players, but if they are seriously expecting us to believe they all know the gory details of cup bonuses up to and including a cup win, and that they were all negotiated by John McGlynn with no club oversight then I'm calling bullshit, and if its not bullshit then they want to focus their attention on the absolute lunatics running their club. 

Agreed it would say more about how they were being run than anything. 

Just now, gav-ffc said:

Agreed it would say more about how they were being run than anything. 

The Raith fan input on McGlynn I generally try to ignore tbh. They have some good posters but when it comes to McGlynn, I think their thoughts are a bit coloured by things other than the football. And I get that to an extent, but I don't think they are all being entirely straight.

There's absolutely no fucking chance we are getting promotion with Pingu. I'm sorry but Rankin, Bartley and Hartley will outsmart him. For it to be pretty critical to get up this season according to Swinney f**k me you've backed the wrong horse. Do you not look at stats! 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The Raith fan input on McGlynn I generally try to ignore tbh. They have some good posters but when it comes to McGlynn, I think their thoughts are a bit coloured by things other than the football. And I get that to an extent, but I don't think they are all being entirely straight.

Would have to agree, in his last 3 seasons with him they finished 1st, 3rd and 5th. A challenge cup win or 2 in there too? All probably could be seen as overachievements.

And yet, barely a good word to be said

Ian Murray who has finished 7th, (their worst season out of the 4) seems much higher thought of. Very odd.

Maybe the goodwillie debacle destroyed all the good work - in which case I’d say fair enough, that was a sorry episode. 

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Would have to agree, in his last 3 seasons with him they finished 1st, 3rd and 5th. A challenge cup win or 2 in there too? All probably could be seen as overachievements.

Ian Murray who has finished 7th, (their worst season out of the 4) seems much higher thought of. Very odd.

Maybe the goodwillie debacle destroyed all the good work - in which case I’d say fair enough, that was a sorry episode. 

Yeah, like I say, I do get it to an extent. Their club was damaged by that debacle and McGlynn was part of it. I'd be seething at all involved too I think. Just always get a slight flavour of revisionism on the football side of it. 

4 hours ago, brokeville said:

Let’s be honest McGlynn has us playing attractive football for 3/4 of the season and unfortunately came up short when it mattered. Too many players lost form at the critical time. Would we rather watch McPakes team grinding out one goal wins with little or no flair? I think not. I’d give the management team another season and hopefully with decent signings we can win the league playing a better style of football. 

Genuinely one of the most mind-bendingly stupid posts I have ever seen on this website tbh.

4 hours ago, brokeville said:

Let’s be honest McGlynn has us playing attractive football for 3/4 of the season and unfortunately came up short when it mattered. Too many players lost form at the critical time. Would we rather watch McPakes team grinding out one goal wins with little or no flair? I think not. I’d give the management team another season and hopefully with decent signings we can win the league playing a better style of football. 

image.gif.a7e9b3b30f0b48735319996756f49f5b.gif

From the podcast it was very much made clear that the club is desperately relying on all supporters/sponsors/patrons/FSS inputting if not equal to last season, but somehow increasing numbers to give more funds to McGlynn. If I’ve picked up correctly the club are going to cut the budget so that we move away from the last ten/fifteen years of starting each season with a reported -400K.

I fully understand that this model is unsustainable, but a huge amount and can only confirm PT/hybrid football. 
PM covered this in an earlier post, surely now the club need to reach out to others for investment?

Edited by Springfield

8 hours ago, brokeville said:

I’d rather watch attacking entertaining football. We’re all entitled to our opinion. 

I know I didn't watch every Falkirk game this season, but would you genuinely call McGlynn's "keep possession at all costs, even if that means the centre halves passing to each other 35 times" style of football "attacking" or "entertaining"? Falkirk only scored 7 more goals than Dunfermline, and I'm fact scored fewer away from home. Airdrie were entertaining, but from what I saw of Falkirk they were anything but. Even reading on here - and I know passions are high - there are plenty of Falkirk fans who think McGlynn plays a "tippy tappy" style that is "too slow". I concede that the Pars had a good few turgid performances, especially at home where teams sat with 10 men behind the ball, but in the second half of the season when Todd and Ritchie-Hosler were on form I think we played quite a quick, attacking style. To each their own mind you.

14 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I know I didn't watch every Falkirk game this season, but would you genuinely call McGlynn's "keep possession at all costs, even if that means the centre halves passing to each other 35 times" style of football "attacking" or "entertaining"? Falkirk only scored 7 more goals than Dunfermline, and I'm fact scored fewer away from home. Airdrie were entertaining, but from what I saw of Falkirk they were anything but. Even reading on here - and I know passions are high - there are plenty of Falkirk fans who think McGlynn plays a "tippy tappy" style that is "too slow". I concede that the Pars had a good few turgid performances, especially at home where teams sat with 10 men behind the ball, but in the second half of the season when Todd and Ritchie-Hosler were on form I think we played quite a quick, attacking style. To each their own mind you.

I agree with you, for a lot of last season we did not play attractive football. It was slow, laboured, tippy tappy, side to side, across the back crap. We played 35 passes, lost the ball and the opposition went up the park in 3 passes and scored. Our forwards were not up to the task, but then neither was our midfield, defence and keeper.

How the f**k did we finish second.

8 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

It surely depends on how much the budget is being cut by.  A decent wad  of last year's budget would've been used to pay off some off the dross Holt landed on us. That amount will be far less this season so the actual budget available for new players could be about the same. 

8 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Who got paid off? The only ones he shifted across the entire season was Seb Ross and Jamie Wilson, and that was in January. Hetherington, Malcolm and Sneddon were only loaned out.

They weren’t paid off but they still would have eaten into the budget mcglynn had. The likes of McGuffie, Martin, Hetherington, Wilson and Ross you could easily have 1 or 2 quality players for all they wages.

We aren't going anywhere under McGlynn, as said above, the football isn't entertaining. Pass a million times round the defence, eventually pass to a winger who swings a ball in the box to that non existent typical striker who gets on the end of crosses. Everything is slow, slow, slow. 

The younger managers have already had the beating of McGlynn this season. I fail to see how this will change going into next season.

As far as the players go, we are in big trouble. They have proved they bottle pretty much every meaningful game they play in. A lot of them can't be excused by age, the majority are at an age they should be able to deal with it. I think we are sitting with a squad of players with a poor mentality.

10 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Very clear now for me from that podcast that McGlynn is being kept for financial reasons. The board have clearly decided that McGlynn with a slightly smaller budget is better than a new manager with a smaller budget.

The risk is you end up with the worst of both worlds by having to punt McGlynn in September and bring in a new manager who can’t build his own squad.

Very clear? At no point was that indicated? He actually said an increase in revenues and he will get more. Just make up stuff to justify your narrative. 

8 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Not to get into it all again because it is a Falkirk thread but obviously the Goodwillie episode had a huge effect given the damage it did to the club. However, we were also a mess on the field for the last 5 months of his tenure and that is the context of which Murray is judged with his budget cut and the existing budget used up on unavailable players or overpaid for their worth (similar to what McGlynn himself inherited at Falkirk). 

Also, the last 19 of the season under McGlynn’s tenure, we were the worst team in the league (table below). So Murray inherited a club in turmoil, had his budget cut by 50% (the board had agreed with McGlynn to have a one off push at the title given the league was wide open, which was part of the reason McGlynn left, he didn’t want to stick around with a reduced budget) and also a team on the field which had spent the last half of the season as the worst team in the league. Hence why 7th was accepted as a decent job this year.

If you asked Raith Rovers fans their opinion of McGlynn in December 2021, you’d have almost unanimous support but it’s hard to overstate how disastrous his last 5/6 months were both on and off the field and that destroyed his reputation for a lot. FWIW, I put most of the blame for the ridiculous contracts at the boards door, most managers would take advantage of that sort of thing, it is on the board to police that. Thankfully the new owners seem more active and switched on in that regard.

# Club   W D L Goals +/- Pts
1  Kilmarnock FC Kilmarnock FC  19 11 5 3 30:16 14 38
2  Arbroath FC Arbroath 19 9 7 3 26:15 11 34
3  Greenock Morton FC Morton 19 7 6 6 21:19 2 27
4  Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC Inverness CT 19 6 7 6 28:22 6 25
5  Hamilton Academical FC Hamilton Acad.  19 6 7 6 23:23 0 25
6  Ayr United FC Ayr United 19 6 6 7 23:23 0 24
7  Partick Thistle FC Partick ThistleScottish Third League Champion 20/21  19 6 6 7 17:24 -7 24
8  Dunfermline Athletic FC Dunfermline A. 19 5 6 8 18:25 -7 21
9  Queen of the South FC Queen o. t. S. 19 5 4 10 20:28 -8 19
10  Raith Rovers FC Raith Rovers 19 3 8 8 17:28 -11 17