The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

I'd disagree with this assertion as right now it's a massive game of chess whilst clubs and players make decisions about who's staying and who's going from those retained under the circumstances of their deals.

For the last few weeks there has been constant negativity from the same posters who have decided this group is set in stone and unlikely to change when many other posters understand that there will be further movement before the window closes on September 01st!

Players at other clubs will become available for various reasons and unattached players will be holding out for deals or trials down south to materialise before the real action starts. It's the same merry-go-round every year yet the same posters willfully misrepresent that as McGlynn failing to address squad deficiencies.

It's tedious when the same posters post variations of the same falsehoods or opinions when they've been countered or debunked.

There will be one or two signings and a possibility of some contracted players going out on loan.

Sadly the players you highlight that are available will look on Falkirk due to our league position, player churn and impatient support as a last resort.

Forget the fantasy that the required quality will sign for Falkirk because of the wages the past 5 seasons' signing indicate they don't.

It is going to be a battle and a slog to get out of the division if the players do that the fans have to back the team - I will.

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Top two? We finished in the "top two" last season. That worked out well.

His only objective is "top one". 

I am well aware of that but you are missing the point. The squad IMO is good enough as it is for the top two. His only objective is winning the league I agree. 
My point is that people are panicking about the squad not being good enough. I don’t agree with that. 

22 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

... Sadly the players you highlight that are available will look on Falkirk due to our league position, player churn and impatient support as a last resort. ...

Sorry but that's absolute nonsense.

Guest Back Post Misses
41 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Fixture list looks quite kind 1st Quarter.

First two home games are against the newly promoted teams

Queens, Hamilton and Montrose all at home

Vital we get off to a strong start. 

The fixture list is kind full stop. The league is not nearly as difficult this season coming IMO. 

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

There will be one or two signings and a possibility of some contracted players going out on loan.

Sadly the players you highlight that are available will look on Falkirk due to our league position, player churn and impatient support as a last resort.

Forget the fantasy that the required quality will sign for Falkirk because of the wages the past 5 seasons' signing indicate they don't.

It is going to be a battle and a slog to get out of the division if the players do that the fans have to back the team - I will.

This is drivel! Did Lang , Spencer or Hogarth only have Falkirk as their “last option” ? We already know Lang and Spencer rejected contract extensions at Raith Rovers to come to us and I’d wager Hogarth also had options elsewhere having just left a premiership Nottingham Forrest and being a Scotland under 21 international his profile / stock would have been high enough he’d probably have attracted interest from other clubs as well. We should be and probably are the most attractive full time option in league one for players both financially and otherwise, there are no excuses this year. The manager has been given all the tools to win this league. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

34 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I think the league as a whole is stronger if you go team for team compared to last season, as well as adding on the improvements some teams have made. But the team who is our closest competitor for the league is a lot weaker than last season.

The message from the coaching staff shouldn't be whether our opposition is stronger or weaker than last season.

I'd hope we've been drilling it into the squad that we set the pace this time rather than us saying X won this week. I'd like to imagine the other top 5 teams bemoaning that "Falkirk won again"  😮‍💨 every week!

33 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I think the league as a whole is stronger if you go team for team compared to last season, as well as adding on the improvements some teams have made. But the team who is our closest competitor for the league is a lot weaker than last season.

Cove weaker than Dunfermline

Hamilton weaker than Airdrie

Alloa not any sign of being stronger

Montrose not any sign of being stronger

Kelty appear to be considerably weaker

Edinburgh City appear to be weaker

QoS most likely stronger

Stirling probably a bit better than Clyde. 

Annan probably ab it better than Peterhead.

The only thing I think we can say with any certainty is that the battle at the bottom will be a lot tighter than last year and that if we have the same tally as last year we will most likely win the league because nobody is doing what Dunfermline done. I don't see any team averaging over 2 points a game across the whole season.

As it stands we’ve got a squad of players that at best are lower championship level. Anyone thinking this will be a breeze this season have their heads in the sand. If anyone watched the QP/PT games, will agree we’re sadly lacking.

Our fife friends and Airdrie leaving doesn’t make it easier as both Hamilton and Cove are assembling decent squads, and no doubt will be in the running. 

28 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

This is drivel! Did Lang , Spencer or Hogarth only have Falkirk as their “last option” ? We already know Lang and Spencer rejected contract extensions at Raith Rovers to come to us and I’d wager Hogarth also had options elsewhere having just left a premiership Nottingham Forrest and being a Scotland under 21 international his profile / stock would have been high enough he’d probably have attracted interest from other clubs as well. We should be and probably are the most attractive full time option in league one for players both financially and otherwise, there are no excuses this year. The manager has been given all the tools to win this league. 

The same was said about our signings from the higher leagues last season and the seasons before and before.

31 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Hamilton weaker than Airdrie

Not sure this one is true based on their signings to be honest.

Regardless though I think it's probably fair to say the lower mid table of the division will be weaker and there'll be nobody as good as Dunfermline were. The rest of the top half will be comparable to last year's levels and the bottom two likely every bit as bad.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure this one is true based on their signings to be honest.

Regardless though I think it's probably fair to say the lower mid table of the division will be weaker and there'll be nobody as good as Dunfermline were. The rest of the top half will be comparable to last year's levels and the bottom two likely every bit as bad.

Not sure you can say anyone won’t be as good as Dunfermline before a ball is kicked. Their squad at the start of last season hardly looked like going on the run they did. 

2 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

Not sure you can say anyone won’t be as good as Dunfermline before a ball is kicked. Their squad at the start of last season hardly looked like going on the run they did.

You think? I thought it looked comfortably the best squad in the division to be honest. If they'd had decent management the year before it wouldn't have gone down, and adding Benedictus was only going to make it better.

Regardless though of whether they looked like going on a run or not, they did. They lost one game all season. I'm not seeing anyone in this division this year losing only one game all season.

Guest Back Post Misses

I see Edinburgh’s star striker has just gone into Love Island. Clearly taking playing for Edinburgh seriously 

43 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The same was said about our signings from the higher leagues last season and the seasons before and before.

You’re completely missing the point! You said we would be these players “last option” That quite obviously is not the case here. Whether they live up to their pedigree or potential is a completely different debate altogether, that comes down to how they are coached and managed.  

Edited by LatapyBairn.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

"Star"?

He started 16 league games of 36 last year and scored 6 times. He was a sub more often than not.

Don’t think thats the point to be honest, any professional player trying to carve out a career in football going onto a reality TV show like that pre season or mid season kind of shows how committed they are to their club. Not saying it’s the right or wrong thing to do but it speaks volumes of both the guys attitude and how he views Edinburgh city’s relevance in a footballing sense.   

Edited by LatapyBairn.