The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Totally agree- seemingly the money earmarked for a right back has been spent on areas he considers higher priority.

He has also chosen to renew the likes of Oliver, Nesbitt and Mcginn who could have been moved on to free up budget so he can’t really complain about not being backed Imo.

Call it a day mate. Full of shit. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Thought he was very nervy tbh. Not sure but the manner in which he went on, are there more financial issues/woes than we’re being told ? One thing for sure, if we don’t go up we can forget being a full time club. 

I didn’t take that from what he said. He mentioned that last year’s cup run goes some way to plugging the permanent operating loss and FSS subs tops up the playing budget.

We know we’re starting each season with a large deficit. The board have made that clear from day 1. So we’ll only go part time if we fail AND our finances fall off a cliff over the next 12 months. 

I wouldn't have kept Oliver or Nesbitt. Spencer and McGinn does worry in the fact they will be too similar and we have had that in midfield before it doesn't work. I don't see McGlynn being able to shift any players out unless it's loans for some of the younger ones. McKay will see out the year left he has supposing it's on the bench, the only saleable asset we have is Morrison and if he really was that good he'd have been off by now. 

I get that we shouldn't read too much into pre season friendlies but not a chance we'd be saying that if we'd knocked 10 past CSS, the excitement would be reaching fever pitch.  

I also get that its possible to not play well in a friendly and still be absolutely fine for the season but for me its the continuation of the shitty build up play, the slack defending and the failure to address most of last years issues that's most concerning.   We needed a right back, some creativity and a decent striker and we've brought in none of them so far.

Raith fans have been telling us that McGlynn can't be trusted with wages either so I expect Lang and Spencer are most likely the 2 highest paid players in the league or certainly not far off it.  Paying big money for Spencer looks less smart if it means we can't now stretch the budget for the players we really need.  Renewing Oliver and McGinn look plain ridiculous decisions.  

The strips are nice (prefer the home) and the pitch and lights look amazing but I'm genuinely concerned at this point that we haven't improved the team nearly enough in the business we've done so far.  

6 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I expect Lang and Spencer are most likely the 2 highest paid players in the league or certainly not far off it.  Paying big money for Spencer looks less smart if it means we can't now stretch the budget for the players we really need. 

Nail on head 

If mcglynn thought we had the players in place to play right back he wouldn't have signed Rowe and made him our first choice right back last season. Some people in full blown panic mode because we haven't signed a right back with a month to go till the league season starts in earnest. 

47 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

He has also chosen to renew the likes of Oliver, Nesbitt and Mcginn who could have been moved on 

Two out of three were entitled to extensions for reasons that have been discussed on here before. So no, they couldn't have been moved on. 

If you didn't know that, then it calls into question your other claims. Such as someone having to leave before we can sign a rightback. 

I’ll probably get shot down for this but maybe McGlynn feels young Yeats is worth giving a shot to stake a claim for the RB position or maybe he has another one in mind. Personally I’d like to see some of the younger ones given more of a chance. We were always a club in the past that could develop youngsters and were renowned for giving youth a chance.

1 hour ago, StuartA said:

I didn’t take that from what he said. He mentioned that last year’s cup run goes some way to plugging the permanent operating loss and FSS subs tops up the playing budget.

We know we’re starting each season with a large deficit. The board have made that clear from day 1. So we’ll only go part time if we fail AND our finances fall off a cliff over the next 12 months. 

If that’s still true then would concern me. The board have been very open about budgeting for our income and not relying on such runs to plug the gaps.

From next season there will be no more Rawlins money, £350k share purchase, £10k patrons instalments or 10 year STs .

Our cup run got us out a hole but we had a very fortuitous draw and again it has been stated that going forward we won’t budget for cup runs or player sales to balance the books. Dunfermline not being in this league will also have an effect on income and sure we still have some loans to pay off too from last year. 

If we can continue to get income of £1.9m/season then that should give a playing budget that should be more than enough to get us out the league. We were never going to get £400k from the FSS sign ups however we still have a decent amount of money being plugged in to the club from it and numbers are continuing to grow.  

We need to budget accordingly though so hope the board are sticking by their mantra as I’d much rather support a club in this league than have no club at all. 

Edited by Van_damage

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Does it not depend on the ref? 

Last year our home kit was deemed to be a colour clash with Kelty Hearts maroon and both teams had to change to their away strips for every game between us. 

How the f*** does this clash with navy blue? 🙄

OIP.jpg

Well yeah ultimately ref always has final call but SPFL admin look at them all pre season and consult with referees dept for an opinion.

The issue with above will be both are quite dark at the sleeve and the ref will also claim that closeness is worse if its wet. I'm not massively surprised it was deemed a clash but equally I've seen Dundee permitted to wear navy away at Palmerston which was more than a touch ridiculous.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

36 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Two out of three were entitled to extensions for reasons that have been discussed on here before. So no, they couldn't have been moved on. 

Very poor transfer policy then if that was the case. Assuming you mean McGinn and Oliver, McGlynn signed both of them of that basis knowing he was likely using up part of his budget in the second season.

McGinn I can understand more but there would hardly have been clubs queuing up for Oliver so I find it astonishing if he was given a milestone-based contract as an incentive to sign. Then you have the extended deals for the likes of Allan and Maciver.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

FFS the season hasn’t started yet and some ‘fans’ have written us off already.

Makes you proud to be a Falkirk fan.

Exactly, I wonder sometimes why some bother it must be right depressing never having any optimism.

4 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Not seen anyone write us off? 

55 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Very poor transfer policy then if that was the case. Assuming you mean McGinn and Oliver, McGlynn signed both of them of that basis knowing he was likely using up part of his budget in the second season.

McGinn I can understand more but there would hardly have been clubs queuing up for Oliver so I find it astonishing if he was given a milestone-based contract as an incentive to sign. Then you have the extended deals for the likes of Allan and Maciver.

Give it a fucking rest eh?

31 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Writing us off is clearly ridiculous, especially when there is so long to go when we can bring players in. I think McGlynn will make use of loans as others have said, the best of these options usually don't come up until later in the window.

I have to be honest and say I haven't completely forgiven a lot of the players for the way last season ended. It's obviously in the past, can't be changed and might be seen as petty, but a huge chunk of the squad who were part of that collapse are still here. A good, fast, positive and winning start will put all of that to bed and quickly build up the feel good factor again, but that's incumbent on the players. The fans are playing their part yet again - circa 2300 early bird season tickets for our fifth season at this level is nothing short of remarkable imo.

Edited by 18BAIRN76