The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

If Spartans and Partick draw, and we win, then we top the group regardless of who gets their bonus point do we not? 

We need to win by two goals or more. Bonus point would take either Spartans or Partick to 8 points and +1 goal difference.

We're currently 5 points and 0 goal difference.

6 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

We need to win by two goals or more. Bonus point would take either Spartans or Partick to 8 points and +1 goal difference.

We're currently 5 points and 0 goal difference.

So if you win on penalties you get 1 point and 1 goal added? Never knew that, thought it was just 1 point.

Eta: I mean 1 point on top of the point for drawing the match. 

Edited by Believe The Hype

I just checked myself there, their goal difference would stay the exact same, just get an extra point, meaning if we win our goal difference obviously will increase. If we win 1 0 and they draw 0 0, then all square with thistle and Spartans out, goes to goals scored, which again would keep us level with partick, then it goes to away goals scored which we have more of. 

Or just win by 2 goals and hope they draw. And nothing else comes into it. 

13 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Move over McGlynn we need Big Sam

There's a reason he's spent the majority of the last few years out a job. 

Football has largely progressed beyond this/his style of play and is leaning towards control of being the primary method of defending your own box. I'm not saying that it should be blindly followed at all times, common sense should be used when to clear your lines but in the case of Lang on Saturday I think the root of the problem lies further up the park rather than with Lang himself.

For me it was a sequence of events. Whether it be by instruction or his own doing McCann found himself near the half way line, he is just returning into the picture as the ball is played across our goal. This caused Oliver to shift over to cover/provide an option removing himself from the midfield and leaving us a bit squishy in the middle.

image.thumb.png.7e38b951b143760beed42b3e0c70eafa.png

Ideally you pop it to your extra man in midfield here then progress up the pitch but not to be in this case and we play ourselves into a corner in passing into Lang with all options excluding the keeper covered. I wasn't at the game on Saturday but from what I have read this is perhaps a position that Spencer had been picking up and a role he done fairly well in?

Basically the whole gist of the post is why bother reducing the game to individual 50/50 battles in every occasion, whether that be on foot or an aerial battle both of which could leave us equally exposed when you could work on basic patterns of play to limit the chance of the above happening and while Lang is not exempt from blame, he is not the sole proprietor like some have suggested

5 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

he is not the sole proprietor like some have suggested

To be fair, he never even looked up when he played the pass, so I think it was down to him. He takes a bad first touch, panics to pass whilst still looking at the ball, only lifts his head after it's released. 

Probably shouldn't have been put into that position, I agree, but could have been dealt with with ease. 

15 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

To be fair, he never even looked up when he played the pass, so I think it was down to him. He takes a bad first touch, panics to pass whilst still looking at the ball, only lifts his head after it's released. 

Probably shouldn't have been put into that position, I agree, but could have been dealt with with ease. 

Problem also comes back to him not wanting to use his left foot, noticed it a few times throughout the match. It's not in the highlights but there was a moment where he plays it into McGinn with the outside of his right/toe before McGinn then plays a long ball in behind to Morrison during the first half.

There's a reason left footed centre halves are so sought after. We've actually got one in Liam Henderson but after his stint at centre half last season I'm not so sure moving him back there would be our best option. Lang and himself as a pairing could be interesting though.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn

27 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Football has largely progressed beyond this/his style of play and is leaning towards control of being the primary method of defending your own box. I'm not saying that it should be blindly followed at all times, common sense should be used when to clear your lines but in the case of Lang on Saturday I think the root of the problem lies further up the park rather than with Lang himself.

For me it was a sequence of events. Whether it be by instruction or his own doing McCann found himself near the half way line, he is just returning into the picture as the ball is played across our goal. This caused Oliver to shift over to cover/provide an option removing himself from the midfield and leaving us a bit squishy in the middle.

Ideally you pop it to your extra man in midfield here then progress up the pitch but not to be in this case and we play ourselves into a corner in passing into Lang with all options excluding the keeper covered. I wasn't at the game on Saturday but from what I have read this is perhaps a position that Spencer had been picking up and a role he done fairly well in?

Basically the whole gist of the post is why bother reducing the game to individual 50/50 battles in every occasion, whether that be on foot or an aerial battle both of which could leave us equally exposed when you could work on basic patterns of play to limit the chance of the above happening and while Lang is not exempt from blame, he is not the sole proprietor like some have suggested

image.jpeg.48a5d6ce6f0a703ef3cbf6e721ea5597.jpeg

Don't forget to mention the distance between the CB's! 😆 Lang (out of shot) is miles away from Donaldson

38 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

We’ve lost two goals in two games by trying to play football at the back.
Both goals should and could have been avoided.

28 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

We’ve lost two goals in two games by trying to play football at the back.
Both goals should and could have been avoided.

As I said, pick your moments. Use common sense.

Far too many on here and other pages dismiss it immediately.

1 hour ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

I think based on that photo and a couple of previous passages, Dundee Utd need a bit of credit for spotting it and successfully capitalsing on it. 

The biggest problem for me beyond which individual put what pass where, is failing to spot that DU had identified and were seeking to punish something we were doing

2 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

As I said, pick your moments. Use common sense.

Far too many on here and other pages dismiss it immediately.

Yep. Defo. In the KM7, every single pass that doesn't go forward gets met with abuse. Its brutal. 

11 hours ago, alonso said:

Looking at the groups and the fixtures, I reckon it would take an unlikely set of results to get through on 8 points. There has been plenty surprise results so you never know. 

Dunfermline have already played all their games and are on 8 points with a plus 5 and likely to finish 2nd, so that needs to be our 1st target to have any chance... put at least 5 past Peterhead.... so that no doubt means Mcglynn will go 1 up top and try to sneak a 1-0 win! 

We'll likely finish 3rd so we're not a good target to aim for 😂😂

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Yep. Defo. In the KM7, every single pass that doesn't go forward gets met with abuse. Its brutal. 

Spot on. I'd be interested to see the reaction from the KM7 if we played the whole match punting it forward 🤨.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I think based on that photo and a couple of previous passages, Dundee Utd need a bit of credit for spotting it and successfully capitalsing on it. 

The biggest problem for me beyond which individual put what pass where, is failing to spot that DU had identified and were seeking to punish something we were doing

United pressed us pretty well at moments. That was one of the noticeable differences between the two sides.

Whenever we press it seems to be in an individual basis rather than a cohesive unit.

Just now, Chinatoon Bairn said:

United pressed us pretty well at moments. That was one of the noticeable differences between the two sides.

Whenever we press it seems to be in an individual basis rather than a cohesive unit.

Aye, a very good illustration of how that can be easily beaten is available in the playoff 1st leg. Individual players screaming into a man and being compeltely bypassed because theres about 3 others unmarked,,,,

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, a very good illustration of how that can be easily beaten is available in the playoff 1st leg. Individual players screaming into a man and being compeltely bypassed because theres about 3 others unmarked,,,,

Can't remember exactly what goal it was and I can't find it in the highlights but the one that springs to mind for me is McGinn steaming (trundling) towards their backline on his own then Airdrie waltzing through the middle of the park. Think it was possibly the second.

1 minute ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

They were switching to a five man midfield when we had the ball which meant there was very little options for the centrehalfs to pass the ball to especially when the 3  in midfield simply werent able to protect the ball when they received it from  a defender and they had a man on them.This meant the ball was coming straight back.  Our defence then passed it back and forth at the back trying to look for someone to give it to. The punt up the park is fine when necessary but you don't want to resort to it every time you have the ball at the back and that's what the defence was trying to avoid possibly.