The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

For me the midfield is a far, far bigger problem than Donaldson. Highlighted by the best chance Dundee United created on Tuesday (which Watt fucked by taking a heavy touch)

United break away but McGinn and Lawal's attempts to track their runners is utterly pathetic. Both give up which leaves Donaldson exposed to a 2 on 1. Not a massive issue if Watt goes free as he is the striker but you simply cannot allow a midfield runner to get away from you so easily.

McGinn is a particular concern as he's supposed to provide protection to the back 4, and this was only 30 minutes into the game. Over a distance of 20 yards he has been left for dead by 10. Legs have completely gone and he shouldn't start again this season as long as Spencer stays fit.

I've been as critical as anyone of Oliver but at least he has the energy to get back and attempt a tackle 

Screenshot2023-07-28at09_09_22.thumb.png.746eb5d750777338768d71d776bc59df.png

Screenshot2023-07-28at09_09_36.thumb.png.26be13e1aa89e3ddc213ba03b398f746.png

Carbon copy of a lot of the goals Airdrie scored in the playoff. Players with the ability to bypass our midfield and seems we haven't learned. Hopefully Spencer is enough to sort that out. 

9 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Where are the class loan signings Mr McGlynn?

I'd expect to see a bit of movement once the league cup is over  .  Teams will then have a better idea of who will be in their first team squads this season and who will be available for loans etc.

4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I agree but if there isn’t anyone in midfield to take the ball then, they should resort to plan B and get it as far away from our box as possible. I’m not blaming our defenders I just don’t think they should constantly be trying to play out when at times it isn’t on.

I think the issue on Tues was that United's excellent press meant there was practically no options in the middle every time the defence had the ball . They were trying not to just keep punting  it up the park and seeing the ball come right back at them.  Fortunately we won't play a team that can press that well this season .

49 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Carbon copy of a lot of the goals Airdrie scored in the playoff. Players with the ability to bypass our midfield and seems we haven't learned. Hopefully Spencer is enough to sort that out. 

Having watched some of Raith’s games from last season, I don’t think Spencer is much better at defending. He seems to be another who lets midfielders run off him. I think our best option in that role would be Yeats. 

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Nail. On. Head.

As highlighted yesterday, McCann is out-of-position so Lang is covering the LHS but Lawal and McGinn need to do much better here.

Defending should start further forward but no-one could legislate for Lang's final pass.

Wasn't until I watched United/ViaPlay's footage this morning  that I sussed out where Lawal actually was.

image.thumb.png.9b4f571ea5c6808b0be0ff55563f3192.png

About 4 steps in the other direction and that's before Lang has even received the ball. Rightly hooked at half time on Tuesday.

We could still do with another few signings but on paper I'm struggling to see a better starting 11 in the league than what we have.

Hogarth
Yeats Donaldson Lang Mccann
Spencer McGinn Oliver
Morrison MacIver Agyeman/Miller

Just now, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Wasn't until I watched United/ViaPlay's footage this morning  that I sussed out where Lawal actually was.

image.thumb.png.9b4f571ea5c6808b0be0ff55563f3192.png

About 4 steps in the other direction and that's before Lang has even received the ball. Rightly hooked at half time on Tuesday.

Think that's why McGlynn hardly played him last season, positionally he's a loose cannon. Obviously in some games you can afford that luxury but he really needs to work on that side of the game.

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Think that's why McGlynn hardly played him last season, positionally he's a loose cannon. Obviously in some games you can afford that luxury but he really needs to work on that side of the game.

He's got something but at the same time I was probably equally surprised at the fact we offered him a new deal and he actually signed it.

14 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

I think we've put too much expectation on him at the moment.

Ola definitely has the talent but is missing the graft. McGlynn is probably being forced into using him whilst Nesbitt and Henderson aren't fully fit. 

He's better as an impact sub but I'd still start him against Peterhead then shuffle Yeats into midfield just now.

26 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

I think we've put too much expectation on him at the moment.

Ola definitely has the talent but is missing the graft. McGlynn is probably being forced into using him whilst Nesbitt and Henderson aren't fully fit. 

He's better as an impact sub but I'd still start him against Peterhead then shuffle Yeats into midfield just now.

Not sure if I'm ready for a 90 minute long Brad McKay RB performance just yet.

48 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I disagree. I think McGlynn is playing him out of position. He is much better and far more effective further forward rather than dropping deep.

Calling him a loose cannon is a wild take. He is just out of position, in a position that doesn't suit his play.

Maybe its a daft thought but what if we drop McGinn back into central defence for Donaldson. Henderson could then take his place in Midfield along side Spencer. As I say maybe a daft idea but might just work as it would allow McGinn to use his experience but not do so much running.  

I like Ola but when he gets a chance in the first team he really should be grasping it with both hands as it could be a while before he gets another. He gave the ball away far too easily . Was playing a bit further forward than the other two but failed to make any impact at all.  

29 minutes ago, Double t said:

Maybe its a daft thought but what if we drop McGinn back into central defence for Donaldson. Henderson could then take his place in Midfield along side Spencer. As I say maybe a daft idea but might just work as it would allow McGinn to use his experience but not do so much running.  

I'm not sure jumping for clearing corners is his strong point.

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I like Ola but when he gets a chance in the first team he really should be grasping it with both hands as it could be a while before he gets another. He gave the ball away far too easily . Was playing a bit further forward than the other two but failed to make any impact at all.  

Ola for his credit in the time/appearances he got last season was more effective in a 8/10 role.  Unfortunately for me I don’t think MCGlynn knows Olas best starting slot.  

1 hour ago, falkirkbairn23 said:

I disagree. I think McGlynn is playing him out of position. He is much better and far more effective further forward rather than dropping deep.

Calling him a loose cannon is a wild take. He is just out of position, in a position that doesn't suit his play.

He was played further forward against Spartans and didn't effect the game enough. You don't just switch off in the middle of the park because you aren't used to playing there, that's down to the individual.

I like Ola, I think he has that bit of magic in him to win games on his own but if he's going to make it he needs to get the basics right first.