The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Had the crazy tackle he made in the first half against Strollers made contact, it would have been a deserved straight red, and a fair chance of him fracturing the guy’s standing leg.

Correct. I thought that was an absolute shocker, f**k knows what he was thinking about but it wasn't the ball. Cost us a goal but it could have been much worse. 

It's maybe went unnoticed but Lang and Spencer have had their fair share of injuries, we have to hope they play the majority of games this season. If not it's McKay n Donaldson at centre half and McGinn being totally overrun in midfield, and for a guy already taking injections in a knee it doesn't bode well. 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Any word on Nisbetts injury 

Last heard it was a strain. Not that anyone seemed to be that bothered I haven't saw many shouts of "Nesbitt would have made a difference" not even on the Coyb and there's usually a few on there who can't see the smoke for the trees. 

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I think a lot of this is on the manager, he should be seeing that Donaldsons confidence needs a wee bit building and telling him if in doubt do the simple things. At the moments we are watching League One defenders trying to constantly play as if they are playing for Man City.

I don’t get on there backs but there are times when playing out from the back and,  if they are under threat the ball needs booted as far from our penalty box as possible, regroup and then try and get possession back. If Lang had put that ball into the back of the stand on Tuesday then we would not have lost that goal.

He never put a foot wrong against Partick last Saturday . Was excellent.  Main problem on Tuesday was the midfield or lack there of.

56 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Not that you'd wish three players to be injured but none of them are overly concerning as in damage to the squad. You might argue Hogarth but I've a feeling it might be tit for tat with Long when he does get fit. You get the feeling they will be very similar keepers. 

8 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

This does my box in, there could be absolutely no forward pass available (another problem in itself) but there will be shouts to 'get it up the park'. Donaldson will then hoof it up to absolutely no c**t and then get hounded for that. Lose lose.

But you are less likely to lose a goal if the ball is in the oppositions half, instead of losing it in 30 yards from our goal.

In this league I’d prefer us to kick to touch near the  opposition corner flag and press the throw in,  rather than fanny about at the back losing cheap goals and putting our dodgy defence under pressure.

At the very least we should mix it up, long clearances sometimes, play out at the back sometimes too. Being predictable  in tactics and in formation makes it really hard for us especially without consistent match winning players  in the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Blane Fonda said:

But you are less likely to lose a goal if the ball is in the oppositions half, instead of losing it in 30 yards from our goal.

In this league I’d prefer us to kick to touch near the  opposition corner flag and press the throw in,  rather than fanny about at the back losing cheap goals and putting our dodgy defence under pressure.

At the very least we should mix it up, long clearances sometimes, play out at the back sometimes too. Being predictable  in tactics and in formation makes it really hard for us especially without consistent match winning players  in the squad. 

The league is not the issue, it's having the players that can play it including the goalkeeper, meaning you always have a release.

There are too many times we don't have a spare man and that's before we look at the quality, Dundee Utd had us closed down yet we continued with it which forced the error.

The photo above shows it, there is no one extra and there should be if their keeper is in his box.

McGlynn should have changed it, I could hear Goodwin shouting at them who to go to continuously, but he stood just staring at it.

I'm ok with the system, but we need a leader on the park to change things and take these decisions because its not happening from the sidelines when we are being challenged.

14 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

I just checked myself there, their goal difference would stay the exact same, just get an extra point, meaning if we win our goal difference obviously will increase. If we win 1 0 and they draw 0 0, then all square with thistle and Spartans out, goes to goals scored, which again would keep us level with partick, then it goes to away goals scored which we have more of. 

Or just win by 2 goals and hope they draw. And nothing else comes into it. 

The really fun bit is if it’s a scoring tie between Partick and Spartans instead of a nil nil one. As best I can tell, from a post in the Domestic Cup thread:

Looking at the data, I think Group B is a bit more of a mess. I think this is the case:

1) A Partick vs Spartans winner wins the Group

2) A Falkirk win and a tie in Partick vs Spartans, whomever win the shootout ties Falkirk, then...

A) Falkirk wins by more than 1 goal over Peterhead, Falkirk wins the Group

B) Falkirk wins by 1 goal over Peterhead...

(1) If Partick score in their tie, Partick wins the group

(2) If Partick don't score in their tie, Falkirk wins on away goals scored 4-3

(3) If Spartans score 2 or more in their tie, Spartans win the group

(4) If Spartans score 1 or less in their tie, Falkirk wins on away goals scored either 4-3 or 4-2 

3 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

He never put a foot wrong against Partick last Saturday . Was excellent.  Main problem on Tuesday was the midfield or lack there of.

This is one of the reasons that Spencer and his fitness will be so important to the team’s performance this year. 

6 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

McGlynn should have changed it, I could hear Goodwin shouting at them who to go to continuously, but he stood just staring at it.

This. Watched McGlynn at numerous games when teams have sussed us out, changed their own style/system to take the upper hand and McGlynn just stands motionless on the touch line. Many posts have highlighted concerns with our defence and Donaldson’s obvious poor distribution/defensive frailty, my biggest concern is that if he continues to play McGinn our midfield becomes far to static, and an easy touch with any opposition that can move the ball quickly to their front line. 

9 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

I agree but if there isn’t anyone in midfield to take the ball then, they should resort to plan B and get it as far away from our box as possible. I’m not blaming our defenders I just don’t think they should constantly be trying to play out when at times it isn’t on.

I agree but if there isn’t anyone in midfield to take the ball then, they should resort to plan B and get it as far away from our box as possible. I’m not blaming our defenders I just don’t think they should constantly be trying to play out when at times it isn’t on.

They are playing to instructions.

It’s difficult though isn’t it. They’ve been told what to do by McGlynn who’s totally inflexible with his tactics therefore are playing to the plan they were told to.

Sadly, McGinn is really struggling therefore the options of an out ball in the midfield for the defenders is really limited.

I personally don’t think these tactics work with the squad that McGlynn has built.

For me the midfield is a far, far bigger problem than Donaldson. Highlighted by the best chance Dundee United created on Tuesday (which Watt fucked by taking a heavy touch)

United break away but McGinn and Lawal's attempts to track their runners is utterly pathetic. Both give up which leaves Donaldson exposed to a 2 on 1. Not a massive issue if Watt goes free as he is the striker but you simply cannot allow a midfield runner to get away from you so easily.

McGinn is a particular concern as he's supposed to provide protection to the back 4, and this was only 30 minutes into the game. Over a distance of 20 yards he has been left for dead by 10. Legs have completely gone and he shouldn't start again this season as long as Spencer stays fit.

I've been as critical as anyone of Oliver but at least he has the energy to get back and attempt a tackle 

Screenshot2023-07-28at09_09_22.thumb.png.746eb5d750777338768d71d776bc59df.png

Screenshot2023-07-28at09_09_36.thumb.png.26be13e1aa89e3ddc213ba03b398f746.png

14 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

For me the midfield is a far, far bigger problem than Donaldson. Highlighted by the best chance Dundee United created on Tuesday (which Watt fucked by taking a heavy touch)

United break away but McGinn and Lawal's attempts to track their runners is utterly pathetic. Both give up which leaves Donaldson exposed to a 2 on 1. Not a massive issue if Watt goes free as he is the striker but you simply cannot allow a midfield runner to get away from you so easily.

McGinn is a particular concern as he's supposed to provide protection to the back 4, and this was only 30 minutes into the game. Over a distance of 20 yards he has been left for dead by 10. Legs have completely gone and he shouldn't start again this season as long as Spencer stays fit.

I've been as critical as anyone of Oliver but at least he has the energy to get back and attempt a tackle 

Screenshot2023-07-28at09_09_22.thumb.png.746eb5d750777338768d71d776bc59df.png

Screenshot2023-07-28at09_09_36.thumb.png.26be13e1aa89e3ddc213ba03b398f746.png

Nail. On. Head.

As highlighted yesterday, McCann is out-of-position so Lang is covering the LHS but Lawal and McGinn need to do much better here.

Defending should start further forward but no-one could legislate for Lang's final pass.