The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Last season we were chuffed as f*ck because we got out of our group which included Hibs and Morton. This season we're pissed off because it looks like we might not qualify and miss out on the extra money. The league cup is real enough Shodwall.

Im not bothered at all if we don't qualify . Qualifying is a bonus given we're 3rd seeds. Id much rather lose every game and have a great start to the league campaign than qualify. 

5 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Imo if you are a premiership,championship or even a full time league 1 club and you aren't getting out of the group stage in this tournament you've done poorly imo and should be doing better 

Complete nonsense. We're third seeds in our group that means there are two far better sides than us in it. The odds are against us coming second never mind first and only 3 second place sides go through so why any league one side should be doing better only you know. 

27 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Complete nonsense. We're third seeds in our group that means there are two far better sides than us in it. The odds are against us coming second never mind first and only 3 second place sides go through so why any league one side should be doing better only you know. 

That boy speaks the awfiest amount of pish btw 😂

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

SC01391137.jpg

I used to stand behind those red hoardings, waving a big inflatable banana. Not sure why nowadays. But eventually it was signed by all the players and we  hung it from my bedroom ceiling, suspended by wee wires.

My dad behind me talking to his mates (saying words a wee boy shouldn't hear), my brother with me at the pitchside. 

I remember one of my dad's mates standing holding a pie and saying "watch this". He tilted the pie forward and grease just poured out of it. Like turning on a tap. There was so, so much. 

It was a shitehole. But I enjoyed that old shitehole far more than our new, modern facility.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

SC01391137.jpg

I used to stand behind those red hoardings, waving a big inflatable banana. Not sure why nowadays. But eventually it was signed by all the players and we  hung it from my bedroom ceiling, suspended by wee wires.

My dad behind me talking to his mates (saying words a wee boy shouldn't hear), my brother with me at the pitchside. 

I remember one of my dad's mates standing holding a pie and saying "watch this". He tilted the pie forward and grease just poured out of it. Like turning on a tap. There was so, so much. 

It was a shitehole. But I enjoyed that old shitehole far more than our new, modern facility.

I started going in 1978 and there used to be boys walking round pitch side selling pies from big polystyrene boxes that they carried using a strap over their shoulder. The pies that came out them were always Stone cold 😂.

39 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I agree that the League Cup is rigged in favour of the top clubs so they have a better chance of qualifying so similarly won’t be too critical if we don’t go any further. I do however disagree that teams don’t try or treat it like friendlies as there is still a lot at stake. 

Also feel like you’re slightly contradicting yourself by saying it’s so hard to qualify given the quality of the teams yet dismissive of someone like Daramola scoring against a Premiership, Championship and League One club. How can you not be impressed by that yet claim it’s too hard for clubs like ours and Kelty to be capable of beating these clubs and qualifying?

Edited by Van_damage

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

SC01391137.jpg

I used to stand, leaning against the blue painted wall just behind you and along a wee bit then. Me, Kenny, Jamesie, and half a dozen other guys whose names escape me for the moment. What a laugh. I was always one of the few saddoes who'd go in at 1401 as soon as the turnstiles opened. Stand there and munch my pie and sip my coffee in a wee peaceful few minutes to myself while the players darted about warming up and my pals filed in and the place slowly filled up.

I'm filling up now. 🥲

27 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I wasn't even talking about Falkirk here I was just talking about in general I think some of yous have taken it as a personal dig at Falkirk  when it really wasn't supposed to be that. Obviously not every full time team will qualify as there's only 16 places however when this tournament starts if you are a premiership,championship or a full time team in league 1 if you don't qualify from the group I personally see that as failure in this tournament.

34 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I wasn't even talking about Falkirk here I was just talking about in general I think some of yous have taken it as a personal dig at Falkirk  when it really wasn't supposed to be that. Obviously not every full time team will qualify as there's only 16 places however when this tournament starts if you are a premiership,championship or a full time team in league 1 if you don't qualify from the group I personally see that as failure in this tournament.

No such word as yous.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I started going in 1978 and there used to be boys walking round pitch side selling pies from big polystyrene boxes that they carried using a strap over their shoulder. The pies that came out them were always Stone cold 😂.

You silly bugger! Polystyrene is an insulator and can keep things hot or cold. The pies were obviously mean to be cold, just like Vichyssoise! 😋

8 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

You’ve worded your point slightly different but it’s still completely nonsensical, sorry.

All these pictures and tales of Brockville has got me wondering if the club have any thoughts on having an area in the stadium where they could display memorabilia. My Grandfather was a Hearts fan and I had an official Hearts tie from the 1950’s that was given to me when he died which I donated to Hearts as they have a museum at Tynecastle.

I’ve got stuff like the top of the concrete bollard from Hope Street terrace at Brockville, I’ve also got a Brockville mug that’s still in the original packaging and other stuff. I’ve no sons and I know for a fact when I croak they will get binned. If the club had any thoughts for an area to display stuff like this I would give them it as I’d like future fans to see things that are a part of our past.

I might actually email the club and see if this is something they would consider in the future. I’m sure there are others out there with far better stuff than me who would consider donating it. Likewise I’m sure that visitors to the stadium would love to see items from the clubs history.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

17 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

... the stadium would love to see items from the clubs history

Club or Falkirk council might be interested.

The council already keep some stuff in their archives as the Brockville Development Association got me wondering what happened to it and I'd never noticed the sign as a youngster going to Brockville.

I'll get HSW's blood pressure going here but as we know, Falkirk council generally are a sh*t show. Found out recently they own and store a vintage tram from when Falkirk had a route which they have never thought to display or do anything with! 

Past administrations cultural vandalism on this area should make you angry! 🤬

For every Helix and Falkirk Wheel success there is the 60's town hall monstrosity or Carron Iron Works demolition to name the most obvious.

Did the stadium tour at the hospitality, well worth doing by the way, and the guide round the stadium said we we're looking at opening a museum area in the stadium with club historian Michael White involved. Don't know how far away from an actual area being opened is but would be a good addition to the stadium. 

4 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Did the stadium tour at the hospitality, well worth doing by the way, and the guide round the stadium said we we're looking at opening a museum area in the stadium with club historian Michael White involved. Don't know how far away from an actual area being opened is but would be a good addition to the stadium. 

Great news

7 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

That sounds great, I’ll email the club to see if they would want any of the things I have.

17 hours ago, Springfield said:

Heard from a friend that Stirling have been playing some good stuff

I was at their game last week. They are shite. Started well against a rotten stenny and then let them back into it. Was awful viewing. 

16 hours ago, Van_damage said:

The League Cup is the real stuff!

It's really not. Not at these group stages anyway. I don't think a single Fan of any Club is gutted if they don't get through, all a bit meh. 

51 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Just to add but for anyone going to hospitality the tour is optional and 3 out of 4 of us weren't going to bother but because 1 wanted to go we all went and it was excellent. Gave an insight into the stuff the Falkirk foundation does and some interesting stuff on early Falkirk teams etc

9 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

5 of those 16 are already taken up though. Your only looking at 11 places for the teams in the group stages.  You've got 17 championship and top flight clubs in the group stages fighting it out for 11 places yet you think league one sides not qualifying is failure. Gies a break.