The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Handing out 2 year deals to players who aren't good enough holds back our signing options every year. Did McGlynn really need to give Sean Mackie 2 years last summer? Next summer Jordan Allan will still have a year to go too. 

The two year deals are tricky because it is often needed to persuade players to sign for the club. These players do have their livelihoods and families to think about after all. We can go back further and say the signing of Sean Mackie is also really really questionable. We already had Leon McCann and Hendo that can play left back, yet at the time we only had an injury prone Ryan Williamson at right back. A decision that haunted us for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Disco Duck said:

Or maybe Tumilty is McGlynns secret love child and it would be too awkward having him around.  See, we can all just make shit up.

Love child I doubt, but it’s not a shock at all to me that Tumilty doesn’t want to play for McGlynn again.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Handing out 2 year deals to players who aren't good enough holds back our signing options every year. Did McGlynn really need to give Sean Mackie 2 years last summer? Next summer Jordan Allan will still have a year to go too. 

I don't get the obsession some have with the length of deals and I don't think 2-years is excessive. I include Aidan Nesbitt in that as I don't think he's as bad as some make out.

Generally, I'd say one-year deals, in most cases, suits neither the player or club - The player wants security and the club wants to build continuity AND retain their value in the case of being able to sell them. With one year deals you reduce the players value as they can walk away or the buying club just waits it out.

5 minutes ago, Albertobotswana said:

Has anyone else had difficulty in getting the complimentary ticket for the Annan game? 

I've looked through the Falkirk Total Ticket site and can't see how to do it.

It's at the bottom of the available ticket types if you choose the Annan game and the KM stand.

If buying for the main stand it's presented as an option after choosing the seat.

Edited by Blame Me

2 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

Would you have extended his contract for one year?  And how much did it cost us?

His form at the time of the extension was excellent, he was arguably our best player at that point and the stats will back that up. His form then off a cliff at the season end along with the rest of the squad, there was obviously something more to that combined collapse than the form of a single player which I hope has been looked into and learned from this season. Can totally understand why Mcglynn wanted to keep him. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

No, not at the time it was done either without knowing what league we would be in. No idea how much it cost us, but let's say he's on 30k a year (probably more) that's an extra 60k we could have used for a decent one year contract to entice someone? 

It would be 30K, as we won't hold back revenue from this season to pay next seasons wages. 

His monthly wage in May 2025 will be paid for by revenue generated over the course of next season. That cash isn't available to us right now so we can't use it to make a signing today. 

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It would be 30K, as we won't hold back revenue from this season to pay next seasons wages. 

His monthly wage in May 2025 will be paid for by revenue generated over the course of next season. That cash isn't available to us right now so we can't use it to make a signing today. 

Yeah, it's mental that the 2 year deal is the big focus other than being stuck with him from a football pov. I persoany would have said thanks and best of luck, but it makes no odds to this seasons finances whether he's on 1 year or ten. 

My season ticket arrived yesterday !!!!   Looking forward to the game on Saturday.  My brother has agreed to come with me for the first game as I haven't been out of the house for a long time it and might be a bit overwhelming.  You'll be able to recognise me as I will be the older woman as far away from the drum as possible in the KM stand :) 

Will there be pay at the gate for my brother, anyone know?

I wish I lived in Falkirk it would all be so much easier but I am not that far from Tynecastle so it will be bus and train after this week for me.  COYB

1 minute ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

My season ticket arrived yesterday !!!!   Looking forward to the game on Saturday.  My brother has agreed to come with me for the first game as I haven't been out of the house for a long time it and might be a bit overwhelming.  You'll be able to recognise me as I will be the older woman as far away from the drum as possible in the KM stand :) 

Will there be pay at the gate for my brother, anyone know?

I wish I lived in Falkirk it would all be so much easier but I am not that far from Tynecastle so it will be bus and train after this week for me.  COYB

There's a "Bring a Friend" initiative if you purchased a season ticket for Saturday's game so he'd be able to get a ticket for nothing. 

I'd give the club a call to see if you can collect one from the club shop.

4 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

There's a "Bring a Friend" initiative if you purchased a season ticket for Saturday's game so he'd be able to get a ticket for nothing. 

Thanks for that.  Every time I have phoned the club no one picks up. I would have thought they'd at least keep ticketing manned.   I'll try again later.  Cheers

2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

So you think that McGlynn knew that those players weren't good enough when he signed them?

I remember folk lauding Mackie in the LC games last season, particularly when he wiped out that Hibs player and, to be fair to the guy, we haven't really seen a lot of him since.

Do you feel that only one year deals should be given to all players?

Edit to say that I can just imagine the amount of whining on here from some if, for example, Alfie was only given a one year deal and he walked away for nothing when we wanted to keep him as he turned out to be a superstar!

Edited by ShaggerG

11 hours ago, Forever_Blue_ said:

Just a thought.. Didn't Jamie say in one of his videos the club have budgetted for a reduced level of season ticket sales? Can't remember if it was around 2,200? Considering we're at 2,500 it's hopefully helping contribute to the £400k forecasted deficit. 

Hopefully it makes a big hole in the shortfall predicted.

I fear for another mid season financial crisis.

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Hopefully it makes a big hole in the shortfall predicted.

I fear for another mid season financial crisis.

There is no shortfall, loss or “mid season financial crisis” predicted, at no point has the club indicated that so not sure where you are getting your information! They have spoke about potentially running an operational deficit not an unfunded loss. The two are completely different, one is fully funded one is not. 

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

Many thanks Blame Me.  I got through to the club and they talked me through it so I can now get my brother in free.  Brilliant.  Cheers

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Ahh Got ye 👍

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

His form at the time of the extension was excellent, he was arguably our best player at that point and the stats will back that up. His form then off a cliff at the season end along with the rest of the squad, there was obviously something more to that combined collapse than the form of a single player which I hope has been looked into and learned from this season. Can totally understand why Mcglynn wanted to keep him. 

The oft quoted stats for Nesbitt’s continuance was “assists”. He had none after January. For me, a huge error of judgement re-signing him.

1 hour ago, LatapyBairn. said:

There is no shortfall, loss or “mid season financial crisis” predicted, at no point has the club indicated that so not sure where you are getting your information! They have spoke about potentially running an operational deficit not an unfunded loss. The two are completely different, one is fully funded one is not. 

So, no chance whatsoever of us running out of cash this season. No more soft loans to keep things going. We are entirely funded for the rest of the season with or without a windfall if Jay Fulton gets transferred. Correct?

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

So you think that McGlynn knew that those players weren't good enough when he signed them?

I remember folk lauding Mackie in the LC games last season, particularly when he wiped out that Hibs player and, to be fair to the guy, we haven't really seen a lot of him since.

Do you feel that only one year deals should be given to all players?

Edit to say that I can just imagine the amount of whining on here from some if, for example, Alfie was only given a one year deal and he walked away for nothing when we wanted to keep him as he turned out to be a superstar!

Since he had him at Raith I'd say yes, he should have known Mackie wouldn't be good enough. 

As for Nesbitt, the point is as much the 2 year deal as it is the player. Sure, we won't pay for the 2nd year now but it'll reduce our options next summer. Just as still having the likes of Donaldson, Mackie, Oliver, McGinn and McKay used up budget this summer we could have spent elsewhere. 

I'd far rather give 1 year deals and if they're so good we miss out on a potential fee then at least they've positively contributed and we're hopefully going up at that stage. We've been burnt much more in the last few years by 2 &3 year deals than we have by losing amazing players we only had for a year. 

Apart from the odd unbelievable signing (which we haven't had for years) or promising young players we're bringing through, no-one should be worth a 2 year deal. I don't believe we had to offer McKay, Oliver etc longer deals (or guaranteed extension triggers) to fend off other clubs. Very few sniffing about these bottom of the full time bucket type pros. 

Heard recently, and fair warning that this could be absolute shit as it came from another players family member, that the reason for Nesbitt being offered the two year contract at that time was due to other clubs sniffing about and him being potentially open to moving on.

Edited by Chinatoon Bairn