The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

There were a good number of posters on here that couldn't seem to accept the possibility that, as we are where we are because we were pish, there would be a fair chance that we wouldn't get back up again too quickly. That shouldn't have been impossible of course, ref Dunfermline, but it was always possible. McGlynn has obviosuly stabalised things and we are now seeing improvement.

Strange how some of the 'this is only L1 FFS, we are Fawkurk, wae a big budget' types don't seem to be as vocal when things are looking better!

Think it was reasonable for most of us to expect a manager with our budget to have faired better over the last number of years. Thankfully McGlynn seems to be doing that but still a long way to go yet. Long may these results and performances continue though. 

Edited by Van_damage

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

There were a good number of posters on here that couldn't seem to accept the possibility that, as we are where we are because we were pish, there would be a fair chance that we wouldn't get back up again too quickly. That shouldn't have been impossible of course, ref Dunfermline, but it was always possible. McGlynn has obviosuly stabalised things and we are now seeing improvement.

Strange how some of the 'this is only L1 FFS, we are Fawkurk, wae a big budget' types don't seem to be as vocal when things are looking better!

Bit early to be getting triumphant, we've started well but a long way to go. 

McGlynn is clearly taking us in the right direction, win percentages by manager during our time in league 1:

McKinnon - 42.9%
M & M - 52.5% (were actually doing ok until jobber Holt arrived)
Sheerin - 34.8% (lol)
Rennie - 29.4% (double lol)
McGlynn - 58.1%

The pleasing thing for me is we are not just winning games this season but generally doing it in a bit of style. Obviously a long way to go though and Hamilton have matched us stride for stride so far.

Even if we do manage to wriggle clear at the top I'm sure no one has forgotten the great arse-collapse in 2021. I doubt there will be much premature celebration until we are virtually home and hosed 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Ive just looked back at the 2020/2021 season. 

I  must have banished it from my memory as its completely wild when its presented in stone cold figures now.  

With 6 games left we had 31 points from 16 games (in a 22 games season) - we were 3 points clear of Cove and 7 clear of Partick and our goal difference was better too (+5 v CRFC and +6 v PTFC)

Partick won the league with 40 points.  

We took 1 point from our last 6 games.  Put another way, having lost 3 games in first 16 we lost 5 out the final 6. 

Even a draw v Partick and 2 wins in the other 5 (which featured Peterhead A and Montrose H) might well have been enough. 

And of course we went backwards so fast we went from 1st to 5th, not that we'd have had any chance in the playoffs

It puts Devon Loch in the shade as a collapse.  

I dont think there will be very many FFC fans who will take anything for granted this season

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

We are not even in October yet. It’s a bit early to be getting the bunting out imo

Haven’t seen a single post metaphorically “getting the bunting out” However it is fair to recognise McGlynn did improve us last season and has improved us further again this season as the win percentages posted earlier show. Fans are perfectly entitled to enjoy it when winning and the football on show is exciting to watch, it’s the reason we all turn up on a Saturday but that does not equate to “getting the bunting out” I’ve seen nobody being presumptuous here, especialy when Hamilton have been keeping pace with us week on week but for goodness sake let fans enjoy the wins and performances in the the moment!

Edited by LatapyBairn.

1 hour ago, FFC1965 said:

Ive just looked back at the 2020/2021 season. 

I  must have banished it from my memory as its completely wild when its presented in stone cold figures now.  

With 6 games left we had 31 points from 16 games (in a 22 games season) - we were 3 points clear of Cove and 7 clear of Partick and our goal difference was better too (+5 v CRFC and +6 v PTFC)

Partick won the league with 40 points.  

We took 1 point from our last 6 games.  Put another way, having lost 3 games in first 16 we lost 5 out the final 6. 

Even a draw v Partick and 2 wins in the other 5 (which featured Peterhead A and Montrose H) might well have been enough. 

And of course we went backwards so fast we went from 1st to 5th, not that we'd have had any chance in the playoffs

It puts Devon Loch in the shade as a collapse.  

I dont think there will be very many FFC fans who will take anything for granted this season

The big difference from that season mind you was that back then we never ever looked convincing. We huffed and puffed to a few wins by getting up to speed quicker than other sides. As soon as they caught up though and we lost a game the wheels started to come off.anf then we were saved by the COVID break. We again sneaked a couple of results as we again got going a bit better only for another defeat to see us collapse completely. If any other side had started half decently we'd have been screwed a lot earlier. At least so far this season we are playing decent stuff and looking like a good side. How we react to our first defeat will be important but hopefully that's still a good while away.

26 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

The big difference from that season mind you was that back then we never ever looked convincing. We huffed and puffed to a few wins by getting up to speed quicker than other sides. As soon as they caught up though and we lost a game the wheels started to come off.anf then we were saved by the COVID break. We again sneaked a couple of results as we again got going a bit better only for another defeat to see us collapse completely. If any other side had started half decently we'd have been screwed a lot earlier. At least so far this season we are playing decent stuff and looking like a good side. How we react to our first defeat will be important but hopefully that's still a good while away.

Agree.

I also think that it's important that the fans don't react 'over the top' badly when we have our first defeat or play badly. I remember the rumblings in the stand approaching half time in the Peterhead game. If MacIver hadn't scored the boos would have been ringing and the player's heads would have been down. Who knows what affect that might have had?

We all need to keep a sense of perspective, keep our feet on the ground and continue to support from the stands when things go wrong! I'm sure none of us (probably) don't want one poor result or performance turn in to two.

6 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Agreed re the stabilisation and that we look a lot better than for a few seasons. However it looks like you are having a go re anyone who thought that McGlynn should go at the end of last season.

I could understand that, not due to his overall win record, but because of the disappointing cup semi followed by our horrific display against Airdrie (in both legs). Finishing your season on those displays hardly inspired anyone to believe that we were improving under McGlynn. 
Glad it appears that he’s proved us all wrong though…..

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Agreed re the stabilisation and that we look a lot better than for a few seasons. However it looks like you are having a go re anyone who thought that McGlynn should go at the end of last season.

I could understand that, not due to his overall win record, but because of the disappointing cup semi followed by our horrific display against Airdrie (in both legs). Finishing your season on those displays hardly inspired anyone to believe that we were improving under McGlynn. 

Said at the time that the horrific Airdrie X2 & semi final should have seen McGlynn sacked, but the contractual/financial situation gave McGlynn his final year. Not convinced the BOD would have sacked him, if we had the finances.
Didn’t think the signings close season were anything other than average, but so far we can’t argue with the product, performances, and most importantly a set of players actually caring about the 90 odd minutes they pull on the shirt. Yes it’s maybe not Barcelona but the football we’re playing is so better than the shite we’ve endured for so long.

No doubt we’ll hit below par, as all football teams do, but with the current shape and I’f we keep injuries to a minimum,  and maybe one or two in January window, we won’t be far away. Next two games we need to throw away the bridesmaids attitude and set down our marker.

Surprised to see Scott Honeyman go out on loan to The Shire again. Thought he would get more of a sniff of first team action but he's probably well down the pecking order when the senior forwards are fit and available

Hopefully the action he gets with The Shire boosts his confidence 

50 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Don't see where you're getting that from what I said. Like everyone else I was sickened by our display against Airdrie and I may well have sacked him on the spot that night. Thinking about it though, the fact that we didn't have the money to do it and ultimately it would have meant yet another new manager coming in, having to bring in his own squad etc etc, I would have given him his last season. Hopefully, what we've seen so far this term continues (and maybe even gets better) thus proving that keeping him was the correct decision. Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Surprised to see Scott Honeyman go out on loan to The Shire again. Thought he would get more of a sniff of first team action but he's probably well down the pecking order when the senior forwards are fit and available

Hopefully the action he gets with The Shire boosts his confidence 

Think it may hint that Miller won’t be long in returning.