The Falkirk FC Thread

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Our first 2 goals were near identical, I think, barring one went straight in and one got deflected in.

I think that team we had were a top flight level side tbh, so you shouldn't count them as a loss to a lower league side. We were picking 2 strikers to play in games from Peter MacDonald, Steven Milne, Jason Scotland, and Andy Jackson. Stephen Dobbie couldn't get near the first team. Then you had Martin Hardie skelping double figures in too.

He wasn't remotely close to being fit then, but still, your loss, our gain. As thoroughly good as that group of forwards was, Dobbie was better than any of them.

3 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

There was a rumour of Marc McNulty which a few people have said we're talking to him. Probably nothing but even at that a back up Centre Half on loan is priority for me.

If we are struggling we just bring Brad back. Sorted?

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He wasn't remotely close to being fit then, but still, your loss, our gain. As thoroughly good as that group of forwards was, Dobbie was better than any of them.

You think he was better than Jason Scotland?

14 hours ago, Raybowski89 said:

This is a little bit out of the (navy) blue here - Decided to stick on a documentary about Leigh Griffiths on YouTube. Some will argue that he achieved a lot, and he did, but I'd argue he squandered his talent majorly and could have achieved so much more. If his career had turned out even close to the way it really should have, he would have been nowhere near a Falkirk shirt. I still can't quite believe just how quickly he went from scoring twice vs England to struggling to score in league one. 5 short years. The guy who broke every Bairn's heart in that semi-final wasn't the same guy we got. Imagine if we'd gotten him at even 50% of his peak (I'd possibly even suggest he never actually reached his true peak!). He would have strolled it. What a shame.

PS - he scored 41 goals in 2016. 41.

Griffiths is just another in the long line of naturally gifted Scottish players that for various reasons never fulfilled the potential their talent deserved. What they had was un-coachable, you either had it or you didn't. In my time watching football George Connolly is ther biggest tragedy and could and should have been Scotland's Beckenbauer - what a player - what a talent.

22 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Griffiths is just another in the long line of naturally gifted Scottish players that for various reasons never fulfilled the potential their talent deserved. What they had was un-coachable, you either had it or you didn't. In my time watching football George Connolly is ther biggest tragedy and could and should have been Scotland's Beckenbauer - what a player - what a talent.

Sadly we have a habit of creating good players with skills out of this world, pay the young player big money and watch him turn to all sorts of addictions as fame is totally overwhelming for them.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You think he was better than Jason Scotland?

To be fair, having now looked at his career, Scotland played more Premier level games than I thought he had. He also scored more goals with Swansea at Championship level than I thought he had. I don't think there's all that much in it but they were different kinds of players. Scotland was more about strength and speed and Dobbie about guile and skill. He never had that extra yard of pace needed to make it at the very top. I'll row back on Jason Scotland a bit then. Dobbie was better than MacDonald, Milne and Jackson though and equivalent to Scotland.

Appreciate I may be in a minority here (it’s a game of opinions!), but if we could ship Allan out and get a better forward in, I’d like to do that. He just doesn’t cut it at the level we need to be at - in his couple of appearances, Shanley has looked much more useful. Also, as good as he’s been all season, I actually think MacIver’s form has dipped a little in the last few games he’s played, even accounting for his injury last Saturday. Someone like Rudden would fit the bill, but I imagine he’ll be off to the Championship.

I’ve made peace with the fact we won’t get another goalkeeper in. That’s fine, but I do hope it doesn’t come back to bite us.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

On 18/01/2024 at 10:07, Blame Me said:

Don't think it will be as far down the pyramid as that but familiar surroundings might benefit him.

Think I may have called Allan's move last week 🔮

I am available for lottery numbers this week too! YMMV