The get fit, stay fit thread

I'm needing to bulk up at the moment as I'm on the skinny side at the minute. I had a post a few pages ago about eating the right foods but not eating enough hence why I lost weight and made no progress. I know muscle will come, I don't expect it to happen over night. But I do feel I need to bulk up to make progress long term and I believe I'm on a decent meal plan and workout routine to make this happen. I know it's going to take years to get to the stage I want to be but I'm starting to feel I'm making progress already, albeit hardly anything.

I appreciate that, and it's not the wrong thing to do at all. In fact for your goals it's completely the right thing to do. I guess all im trying to say is if that's the route you're going down, then you will have to stop paying attention to your bodyfat percentage, as that's what you will be putting on. It's not a bad thing, as long as it's controlled and used in the right way...which you clearly are doing.

Working hard in the gym will mean that you will also be adding muscle mass albeit slowly, and then every so often you can drop the calories, shed some bodyfat that you have put on as a by-product of your muscle building calorie level. The the process repeats.

In short, if you're adding weight short term, it's all fat/water weight...which as said isn't a bad thing if your workout is also high intensity. Just ditch the bodyfat monitoring as it will go up int he short term, and you'll just demoralise yourself.

Even the Men's physique cover models/competitors are often up around 12/13% when they aren't shooting or preparing for a contest. Powerlifters/strongmen-type competitors are always wayyyy above even that.

Edited by Al B

You need to cut your CV to shorter periods. An hour on the bike is not really that much use in my opinion. Do intervals on cardio. 1 minute sprint, 1 minute jog. Also chuck in some tabata which is like 20 second sprint, 10 second rest. That will get you going.

Seems like a better idea, I do listen to the advice on here just looking for tweaks now and again.

The post about the length of time and amount of muscle possible was really interesting.

My specific issue seems to be daring to put on a little fat in order to gain more muscle and if once I do this my body will speed up metabolism and what's the best time for eating etc.

I've no idea where you're at in terms of body fat/strength but it is easy to put on some lean mass without getting fat as long as you don't go down the greedy b*****d "bulking" mentality. Eating times aren't particularly important it's more your overall nutritional intake over the period of 24 hours that counts.

I do high intensity cardio every day, but seeing as I'm off work this week I've decided to do weights aswell. Just different routines with a lot of reps, maybe about an hour overall with a lot of breaks in between obviously, only 10kg each arm ( I know :lol: ) and I now cannot straighten out my arm after doing this for just 3 days?

Is this normal or have I fucked something.

Really need to start dedicating a day or two to the weights like. Arms/neck and chest are all so very sore after not doing that much at all...

Pitiful :lol:

Edited by 1320Lichtie

You're fine your body's just getting used to it. Forget about the number of kg you're lifting that's just the ego talking (which everyone gets) keep it low to begin with, get technique correct and don't get impatient to hit heavy weights. HIIT and weights are both pretty heavy on the central nervous system I believe so probably best to do one day weights/one day HIIT.

You're fine your body's just getting used to it. Forget about the number of kg you're lifting that's just the ego talking (which everyone gets) keep it low to begin with, get technique correct and don't get impatient to hit heavy weights. HIIT and weights are both pretty heavy on the central nervous system I believe so probably best to do one day weights/one day HIIT.

Genuinely can't straighten my arm. It's fucking weird. :lol:

Got 5s tonight and I don't know how I'm going to manage to run properly... Hoping the pain just goes away when I get into it.. Haha

I've no idea where you're at in terms of body fat/strength but it is easy to put on some lean mass without getting fat as long as you don't go down the greedy b*****d "bulking" mentality. Eating times aren't particularly important it's more your overall nutritional intake over the period of 24 hours that counts.

#nocarbsafter6pm

I may be reading this wrong but are you saying you're 11st 9 just now, and you're looking to be 12st 6 in a month?

If you manage that, every single bit of it will be fat and water weight. Every single bit. Genuinely not trying to be obtuse, although I appreciate that there isn't a way to say these things that doesn't come across that way.

I think one of the main problems with people not achieving their goals, is that they just don't realise how slowwwwwlllllly muscle mass builds, and therefore don't make their goals long-term enough. You are looking at an average of 4-6lbs of muscle that it's even possible to (naturally) gain in a whole year. Of course you do get the odd individual who is genetically blessed (guys like Steve Cook or Jeff Seid for example...although I think even Jeff pretty open about not being natural these days), but in 99.5% of cases anyone that says they have gained more than that in a year is either mistaken, blatantly lying, or on gear. The flipside is that most people also underestimate just how much of a difference a single pound of muscle will make to how your body looks.

If your plan is to build muscle mass, stop thinking in terms of weeks and months, and start thinking in terms of years. If building a muscular physique is your goal, then find a good trainer that knows their stuff, get him to put together a plan for you, and then Do it. Religiously. For a year. Keep your nutrition decent during the whole time, and you will not believe how that 4lbs of muscle makes you look at the end of the year.

Be aware though, that each subsequent year will mean your gaining potential will drop. After around 4/5 years you will be lucky if you can even add 2lbs of muscle per year naturally. The body has a ceiling.

4-6lbs in a year for complete beginner? I'm sorry but that's just absolutely flat out wrong. If as a beginner you gain 4lbs in one year then you're absolutely doing it wrong.

Seems like a better idea, I do listen to the advice on here just looking for tweaks now and again.

The post about the length of time and amount of muscle possible was really interesting.

My specific issue seems to be daring to put on a little fat in order to gain more muscle and if once I do this my body will speed up metabolism and what's the best time for eating etc.

Work out calories you need to maintain your bodyweight. Add 2-300. Lift weights and rest. Eat whenever suits you, in however many meals you want. Meal timing is largely irrelevant. Eat whenever you want as frequently as you want. Don't be afraid of carbs either, or eating late in the evening.

I do high intensity cardio every day, but seeing as I'm off work this week I've decided to do weights aswell. Just different routines with a lot of reps, maybe about an hour overall with a lot of breaks in between obviously, only 10kg each arm ( I know :lol: ) and I now cannot straighten out my arm after doing this for just 3 days?

Is this normal or have I fucked something.

Really need to start dedicating a day or two to the weights like. Arms/neck and chest are all so very sore after not doing that much at all...

Pitiful :lol:

I occasionally used to get that as well a few years ago but it goes away quite quick and seems fairly harmless.

4-6lbs in a year for complete beginner? I'm sorry but that's just absolutely flat out wrong. If as a beginner you gain 4lbs in one year then you're absolutely doing it wrong.

I was actually about to come back at your comment there as I couldn't work out where you were getting those numbers from. Then I read back my post...apologies, it should read 6-8lbs in the first year, the point being he appeared to be aiming to gain in a month what should be the aim for the whole year...hence the part in italics.

• 2 months later...

I've started doing some strength training to go along with my running. My current plan is to follow the, er, following:

Day One

Barbell Squats - 5x5

Front Squart - 5x5

Bridge - 3x8

Day Two

Barbell bench press - 5x5

Dumbell bench press - 2x8

Close grip barbell bench press - 3x5

Tricep pulldown - 2x10

Day Three

Barbell deadlift - 5x5

Barbell row - 5x5

Back extension - 3x10

Barbell curl - 5x5

I've started doing some strength training to go along with my running. My current plan is to follow the, er, following:

Day One

Barbell Squats - 5x5

Front Squart - 5x5

Bridge - 3x8

Day Two

Barbell bench press - 5x5

Dumbell bench press - 2x8

Close grip barbell bench press - 3x5

Tricep pulldown - 2x10

Day Three

Barbell deadlift - 5x5

Barbell row - 5x5

Back extension - 3x10

Barbell curl - 5x5

It's good that you're doing lots of basics. There's no real shoulder work there (you'll hit them a bit with the bench pressing). I think you'll find 10 sets of heavyish squats on day one to be pretty horrible, it looks like too much tbh.

Look up a routine like a 3 day push/pull/legs, won't be too far removed from what you've posted above and a bit more rounded.

Been trying to do a bit of Tabata for the last week or so. Finding it a struggle to get over the 4th 20 second period of going full pelt on the bike. Will stick with it for another wee while and see how it goes.

Should I be adding tabata to my usual routine and going for it after 45-60 minutes on the bike as normal, or should it be done on it's own? Generally manage 3 cardio sessions a week and less than 10 minutes at a time seems wrong.

From what I know about it what you're doing after 45-60 mins on the bike won't be tabata tbh. It should definitely be done alone.

Last 4 or 5 sessions on the bike I have done only the tabata routine. 3 minute warm up then absolutely full pelt for 20 seconds, rest for 10, repeat until legs stop working. Miles off the 8 high tempo periods that seem to be expected, which was a fair shock because I'm in relatively decent nick.

Just feels wrong only doing 4 or 5 minutes when I'm used to doing far more.