The get fit, stay fit thread

Do you think it's better to go to the gym and work out in a fasting state or do you have breakfast before you go?

Do what feels best for you. I can't concentrate if I've not eaten but other people get sluggish and tired after eating.

People will come out with all sorts of broscience facts to back-up their chosen methods but they're usually always complete bullshite

I played squash for the first time in a month and my arse is still sore.

That sounds a little bit suspect but it's just due to all the lunging.

That, and the boning in the changing rooms afterwards.

As well as my cycling, I go to the gym most days and got into the bad habit of more or less doing the same exercise routine every time.

Went today and got one of the instructors to give me a routine different from that I've been doing, basically to build upper body and core strength.

Now hurting in places I never knew existed!!

Same sort of thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I had a couple of routines that I would alternate. From time to time an instructor would ask if I was happy with what I was doing until one day I said " ok show me something else "

Wow, painful to begin but I now have 4 separate routines that I alternate.

It's really easy to get in a rut and think that you are doing well.

Got my induction at gym next week. Needing advice really on what's best in terms of kit. Basically decent suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm also back into walking trying to do between 3 and 5 miles a day just now

Got my induction at gym next week. Needing advice really on what's best in terms of kit. Basically decent suggestions will be appreciated.

Kit wise the only things to blow money on for the gym is your trainers. Make sure they are fitted properly and comfortable.

The rest, get yourself to Sports Direct and pick up some baselayer tops and undershorts as well as ankle socks. Then it's just a mix and match for shorts and t-shirts.

Avoid - vests, short-shorts and T-shirts with 'hilarious' pictures/slogans.

Edited by Guns Show

This should explain it all:

actually, I have a footwear related question - I often see folks taking their trainers off to deadlift in their socks - is there a reason for that?

Apparently flat-soled shoes improve stability for squats and DLs making it easier to carry the weight on your heels.

Just shorts and t-shirt, that serves me very well

Anyone got any good lunch ideas for someone trying to lose weight? I'm sick of having salad or soup every day. I work in an office so the likes of fish and eggs I'd like to steer clear of but the odd time wouldn't harm I suppose. I just have no imagination when it comes to these things. Needs to be able to be prepared the night before or the morning of work as the kitchen we have in here is shocking and always overcrowded.

Trying to get back on top of things now.

I've always struggled a bit with my weight. Never been huge but being a wee bit of a chubber is something I've had to deal with. At my worst stag I was nearly 18 stone when I got engaged in June 2012. Cutting out the shite and exercising saw me 14st 8lbs on my wedding day in August last year. Fair to say I've taken my foot off the gas a bit, with the honeymoon period stretching until last Sunday :lol:

I'm now back to 16st 7lbs and feel mahoosive. Joined Pure Gym in Glasgow as it's open 24 hours and I can go after my backshift. Been twice this week plus fives yesterday, going to hit it again tomorrow and then maybe go for a run/jog on Friday. The wife and I are expecting our first kid and the thought of having a double chin in the first picture with my unborn child is giving me the fear. :ph34r:

Baby is due on July 18 so ideally would like to get down to 14 (my original wedding target) by then.

Anyone got any good lunch ideas for someone trying to lose weight? I'm sick of having salad or soup every day. I work in an office so the likes of fish and eggs I'd like to steer clear of but the odd time wouldn't harm I suppose. I just have no imagination when it comes to these things. Needs to be able to be prepared the night before or the morning of work as the kitchen we have in here is shocking and always overcrowded.

When I lost weight around this time last year I would stick to meat when I was in work as I was just sitting about an office. I'm not a pure gym freak but I found eating ham, chicken, even things like meatballs (none of yer shite mind) would work and keep me going. A boiled egg on some brown toast in the morning won't kill you either.

Trying to get back to fitness after missing football the past 4 months, so on a pretty strict diet, been having a banana for brekky, porridge for dinner, and a different mix of steamed veg for tea, some nights I have a bit of chicken or something with it too, apples and oranges for snacks when I am hungry! Plus only drinking water (apart from a few pints on a Saturday of course) Im doing the insanity 'Pure Cardio' just now every night and plan to for another month or so before going to the gym, im 6 foot tall and 13st 4 with a 34 inch waist so im not massive or anything I just want to hopefully lose a stone and a half/2 stone and get down to a 32 inch waist. Really looking forward to getting stuck right into this and seeing how well I can do!

Yeah just a tech T-shirt and shorts for me as well. With the addition of running socks if I am doing treadmill work. I used to wear compression shorts as well, but found they caused irritation from rubbing against skin.