The get fit, stay fit thread

I wasn't telling you to eat 3500 calories a day. It's how many I'm on, and I'm trying to gain weight.

I'm 100% sure that most people who claim to be struggling to lose weight on an intake as low as this are either counting wrongly, going massively over on 'cheat days' or most likely both.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Ah right, right.

I think before I would definitely have went massively over on 'cheat days' but I wouldnt say so anymore at all. I'll see how I get on.

How you doing mhak mate :)

About to rejoin the gym after I get my cardio back to the standard it was at for football after illness and injury stopped me for this year. Jesus I am underweight 10 stone 9.

Any advise for a diet plan for the gym like any sites? Need to remedy this, the P&D league will murder a skinny c**t like me :lol:

Downloaded the MFP app last week and it is good for tracking what you've consumed, had tried these things before and got frustrated with never being able to find what I'd eaten in the database but the barcode scanner is excellent. However I'm quickly not paying much attention to the daily goals.

Yesterday for example, based on the fact I played a round of golf (which I was surprised to see logged at 1100 calories burnt but other evidence online seems to back this up) and did weights (sorry, #lifted) it has recalulated my required protein intake for yesterday at 219g, which for someone who weighs 68kg is just a tad excessive.

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ is a reasonably good site (on the second tab) for working out how many calories a day etc using 3 different formulae.

If you go past the second tab you can screw about with macros, you don't need to be on an intermittent fasting plan. I think it overestimates how much protein most folk need though, I set my own ones.

Mfp calculates macro requirements based on percentages, which is a ridiculously shit way of doing it (I can explain why if anyone's interested), which is why it'll go up if you add in exercise. I also don't think the way it adds calories to your 'requirement' based on exercise is helpful, as if you've calculated maintenance correctly then exercise will be dialled in anyway. It's good for tracking calories (watch the barcode scanner though as it's not always right), but that's about it.

1g protein/lb bodyweight, 0.4g fat/lb and fill in remaining calories with a mix of all three macros (normally mainly carbs). That's really all you need macro-wise.

Cowan: long time no speak mate :) there's really no special weight gain diet I'd recommend, basically just a small caloric surplus and sensible training.

Mfp calculates macro requirements based on percentages, which is a ridiculously shit way of doing it (I can explain why if anyone's interested), which is why it'll go up if you add in exercise. I also don't think the way it adds calories to your 'requirement' based on exercise is helpful, as if you've calculated maintenance correctly then exercise will be dialled in anyway. It's good for tracking calories (watch the barcode scanner though as it's not always right), but that's about it.

1g protein/lb bodyweight, 0.4g fat/lb and fill in remaining calories with a mix of all three macros (normally mainly carbs). That's really all you need macro-wise.

Cowan: long time no speak mate :) there's really no special weight gain diet I'd recommend, basically just a small caloric surplus and sensible training.

Aye been a while man, the shit redundancy does to you not having a computer at work to skive on :lol: gladly thats in the past.

Just trying to get into an eating routine just now. Already tiring of chicken and turkey but I'll grow to enjoy it I've got no other option. If I get any skinnier I'll be in kids sized jeans. Well width wise anyway :lol:

I think my understanding is the same as yours (if not it's the total opposite!) but take yesterday for example, if my target consumption for the day was 2400 calories, and the golf burnt 1100, I should just stick to the 2400 rather than the 3500 that MFP would have me consume i.e. it's best not to bother logging cardio on it.

I think my understanding is the same as yours (if not it's the total opposite!) but take yesterday for example, if my target consumption for the day was 2400 calories, and the golf burnt 1100, I should just stick to the 2400 rather than the 3500 that MFP would have me consume i.e. it's best not to bother logging cardio on it.

Yeah, assuming the 2400 was correctly calculated anyway. A decent calculation of energy expenditure will include exercise, so logging cardio on top of it only confuses matters. MFP is a brilliant app for counting calories, but it's limited in that respect.

Just to rant here, I hate when c***s enter stuff onto MFP incorrectly or put calories but not macros. Useless c***s.

On the calorie front - when I was losing weight years ago I ate about 1750 calories a day and went to the gym three days a week at least (all cardio). In hindsight I should have done far more weights at that time as I ended up looking skinnier than I was due to muscle loss. So I would suggest doing at the very least cardio weights to avoid the same fate.

I currently eat 3.5k calories or so a day. This keeps my weight constant at 10st 9lbs or so. I am a runner first and foremost and run 4 times a week (1 x 10k, 2 x 5.5k hilly runs and 1 x 5k Parkrun), various cardio weights each workday lunchtime in the gym and ddp yoga 2-3 times a week. Take Sundays completely off to recover! This is my current running season routine and it has worked great so far with pb after pb at Parkrun despite coming back from long term injury (6 months+) just 2 months ago! Got numerous 10ks coming up and feel in great shape for these!

I've always been a fairly fit guy but I've decided to be more consistent with my running. 22 days ago, I decided to get started and since then, I've ran 144K.

If you break that down, I've ran, on avergae, 8K each night, giving myself 3 days off in between. Feeling fresh and fitter than ever and don't plan on stopping.

I've always been a fairly fit guy but I've decided to be more consistent with my running. 22 days ago, I decided to get started and since then, I've ran 144K.

If you break that down, I've ran, on avergae, 8K each night, giving myself 3 days off in between. Feeling fresh and fitter than ever and don't plan on stopping.

Forrest gump

Yeah, assuming the 2400 was correctly calculated anyway. A decent calculation of energy expenditure will include exercise, so logging cardio on top of it only confuses matters. MFP is a brilliant app for counting calories, but it's limited in that respect.

Cool, cheers. That's the way I've always worked but the app subtracting it put a bit of doubt in my mind.

post-30760-13753944016893_thumb.jpg

post-30760-137539441978_thumb.jpg

post-30760-13753944310649_thumb.jpg

Think I've done well today. Having a break tomorrow though.

Swimming on Saturday. Walking 10 miles in one day makes you feel awesome. ;)

That is a serious amount of running in such a short period. You training for a race?

That is a serious amount of running in such a short period. You training for a race?

I don't know about that boy but when I'm out running I find when I'm coming to be end of my run I'll push myself that little bit harder and run a longer route home. It must add about an extra 8k a week in my runs.