The get fit, stay fit thread

No, just trying to increase my fitness. I may consider races in the future, though. 

A good pair of local races coming up are the Paisley 10k and Bella 10k on 25/8 and 1/9 respectively. I am doing both - they are two fairly flat pb type courses.

Went for a run today for the first time in a while. Usually don't like running and get my cardio from MT, but couldn't make it there so thought I'd do a ten minute bodyweight circuit followed by a 50 minute run.

It sure is lucky the route I chose happened to go by a public toilet. f**k me.

post-30760-13756907693953_thumb.jpg

Happy with my progress so far. Won't be long till I'm in the 160's :D

Can already see the difference in my waist size as well. Got to give a wee bit of thanks to mhak for giving me tips to do this right.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

What kind of rest time should be taking in between #lifting? I'm doing sets of 5 reps, mainly compound exercises - Starting Strength with some extras thrown in - and I'm currently taking a couple of minutes between each.

Depends how heavy you're going. I think a couple of minutes is a bit much though - maybe between 60 and 90 seconds? I lift about 60% of my 1RM though

I'm probably doing about 70-80% of my 1RM and aiming for 5 reps. Last night I had plenty of time to take 2 minutes between each set and was getting the full 5 reps, with good form. There are times when I'm squeezing a workout in and just take 1 minute between sets. Doing this, I don't always get the full 5 reps in, or sometimes sacrifice my form a bit on the last rep.

The 2 minute rest seems to suit me better but I just wondered if there was any science behind it.

Depending on how heavy I'm lifting I'll rest for anywhere from 1-5 minutes between sets. If you're close to your 1RM and strength training you'll need time to recover fully between sets, so for something like heavy squats or deadlifts I'd say up to five minutes. Shorter rests for isolation exercises, probably 2 minutes max.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Just took out a membership with pure gym and kicking off my classes tomorrow (prefer classes to doing gym work outs) circuit training to start before work and look at the avialability for other classes like spinning. Aiming to start with at least 2 classes a week (im pretty unfit just now) looking to also start playing basketball once a week and probably back to regular football at some point as well

Just took out a membership with pure gym and kicking off my classes tomorrow (prefer classes to doing gym work outs) circuit training to start before work and look at the avialability for other classes like spinning. Aiming to start with at least 2 classes a week (im pretty unfit just now) looking to also start playing basketball once a week and probably back to regular football at some point as well

Which one have you signed up with??

Which one have you signed up with??

Pure gym, its a 5/10 min walk for me. Went to my first class this morning and was only 1 other person there so mornings may be teh way forward for me

Pure gym, its a 5/10 min walk for me. Went to my first class this morning and was only 1 other person there so mornings may be teh way forward for me

Quartermile, gorgie, or ocean terminal?? I use the latter, I get some strange looks when I wear my old Raith tops lol

Quartermile, gorgie, or ocean terminal?? I use the latter, I get some strange looks when I wear my old Raith tops lol

Quartermile up on Lauriston, the girl I spoke to there said there is meant to be one opening on Lothian Road at some point as well

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying one of those indoor pull up bars that you fit onto a door.

ANyone got any recommendations? I'm looking to just get a cheap one, preferably from Amazon as I got £100 gift voucher from there a few days ago.

I'm thinking of buying one of those indoor pull up bars that you fit onto a door.

ANyone got any recommendations? I'm looking to just get a cheap one, preferably from Amazon as I got £100 gift voucher from there a few days ago.

I got mine from argos. Was cheap but really good. Can also hang stuff on it which my wife takes great pleasure in doing

I bought one last week for £22, its one that doesnt need to be screwed in - just fits in your door frame. Unfortunately for me I didnt measure my tenement door frame and its miles too wide for the pull up bar. £10 and its yours.

Edited by bopolopoluss1