The get fit, stay fit thread

Physiotherapy seems to be finally paying off. I did 4km yesterday 26 minutes is some way off the pace I used to do but the fact that I did it and wasn't in agony this morning feels like a big win right now.

What's the physiotherapy for? I did physiotherapy after fucking my ligaments in both my knee's and I am relatively back to normal (on a flat surface anyway).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The problem with swimming for people who aren't technically good at it is that they struggle to breathe as much as air as they need so, like runners at altitude, they find themselves out of breath quickly.

If that sounds like you then you might consider switching to repeated 2 length sprints with recovery intervals instead of a solid medium paced slog. It's easier to concentrate on improving technique for short stints too.

The other option for freestyle is to throw in some lengths of 6 stroke breathing. That will be even harder at first but it forces you to get good at breathing so when you switch back to 4 stroke it will be a doddle

What's the physiotherapy for? I did physiotherapy after fucking my ligaments in both my knee's and I am relatively back to normal (on a flat surface anyway).

Rugby Injury, Tendon damage at the top of the adductor muscle in the Hip. Same thing as Michael Ballack had apparently.

The problem is I snack a lot. So I'm going to cut out the crisps etc. I cut out fizzy soft drinks a while back, and only drink lemonade if I'm having a gin which is not all that often.

Like I've said, I had weetabix with banana before the jog, came back, had a kiwi and a banana then pasta with basil pesto. I think that's quite decent.

I do eat a decent amount of meat : I love chicken and beef etc. What sort of meat dishes are good and relatively easy to make?

Chicken/beef fajitas

And this may be a silly question, but what does protein as a nutrient do in terms of your diet? I know it strengthens muscles.. Is that all it does?

And this may be a silly question, but what does protein as a nutrient do in terms of your diet? I know it strengthens muscles.. Is that all it does? Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app
Protein mostly deals with cell repair and growth, which includes muscles but also other types of cells like bones, liver etc. When you exercise regularly your protein requirement's increased due to the extra strain you're placing your muscles under, but not by as much as people think; once you go above 1g/lb bodyweight (which is probably already too much) any extra will basically just be used as fuel, but less efficiently than carbs. Properly speaking it's amino acids that perform these functions; different proteins are composed of varying ratios of amino acids, and are converted into these acids in your digestive system. The more closely the amino acid profile of a protein is matched to your body's requirements, the higher its biological value is considered to be. Animal sources tend to have the highest biological value, which is to say that they have a balanced amino acid profile providing plenty of the essential amino acids (which your body can't create on its own) as opposed to non essential (which it can). Having said that, poorer quality protein sources such as legumes and grains still count as even where they're limited by containing low quantities of a particular essential amino acid something else you've eaten will make up the shortfall.It's hard to say what quick dishes you can make without knowing what you enjoy. I like to cook four portions of things I make and freeze three so that I can just defrost and use when required. Things like stir fries etc are quick and easy.Edit to add #proteinSent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app Edited by Mak

Not sure what happened to the line breaks in that post, but when I edited it it seems to have removed any kind of paragraphing and now it won't let me put it back.

Not sure what happened to the line breaks in that post, but when I edited it it seems to have removed any kind of paragraphing and now it won't let me put it back.

2 x Bowls of weetabix and banana = 982 calories

1 banana on its own = 91 calories.

3 x Kiwis = 183 calories

1 full fat lemon yoghurt = 250 calories

Approx 100g of macaroni pasta with basil pesto = 358 calories.

Total intake of 1864 calories.

Would you say that's a decent diet to lose weight with?

Also I know I should alternate the pasta dish with a meat dish to get some protein in there. I think I'll have chicken fillets with a tomato sauce. And then I'll just alternate them. It might get boring but I want to do well with this weight loss.

2 x Bowls of weetabix and banana = 982 calories

1 banana on its own = 91 calories.

3 x Kiwis = 183 calories

1 full fat lemon yoghurt = 250 calories

Approx 100g of macaroni pasta with basil pesto = 358 calories.

Total intake of 1864 calories.

Would you say that's a decent diet to lose weight with?

I'm no expert - someone will be along to knock my advice on the head soon - but it might be worth working out your BMR (use an online Harris Benedict equation calculator to give you a rough idea) and then aim to reduce your calorie intake by 10%-20%. That's certainly the method my brother used when he felt he needed to cut weight.

I'm no expert - someone will be along to knock my advice on the head soon - but it might be worth working out your BMR (use an online Harris Benedict equation calculator to give you a rough idea) and then aim to reduce your calorie intake by 10%-20%.  That's certainly the method my brother used when he felt he needed to cut weight.

Well my BMR is 1916.38 and then multiplying that by 1.375 (the number used when you are lightly active 1-4 days when you exercise, I'm going to be exercising 4 days a week from now)

I got a suggested calorie intake of 2635.

My fitness pal app has set me a 2100 calories per day goal to get to my target weight of 160-165 lbs and going by today with a calorie intake of 1750-1800 and the amount of calories I burned exercising I will be there in about 5 weeks.

I'm no expert - someone will be along to knock my advice on the head soon - but it might be worth working out your BMR (use an online Harris Benedict equation calculator to give you a rough idea) and then aim to reduce your calorie intake by 10%-20%.  That's certainly the method my brother used when he felt he needed to cut weight.

This is good advice; I wouldn't cut your calories too low, as that will lead to your metabolism slowing down pretty quickly and make weight loss harder in the long run. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go.

Re. the meal plan I would personally increase protein both for recovery and because it'll keep you full for longer due to the slow digestion rate. Possibly more importantly I don't see a single vegetable in there. There's a lot of fruit, which is great, but I'd add veggies. Try to have ss much variety as possible to avoid micronutrient deficiencies.

Downloaded MyFitnessPal and turns out I had downloaded it before about 30 months ago! Cant remember ever having it :lol:

Been putting my food intake in since Monday, it really is a handy wee tool to keep track of things and tell you where you should be aiming.

Downloaded MyFitnessPal and turns out I had downloaded it before about 30 months ago! Cant remember ever having it :lol:

Been putting my food intake in since Monday, it really is a handy wee tool to keep track of things and tell you where you should be aiming.

I actually think it's amazing value for it being free. It's fantastic and it has loads of food nutritional values preset. The fact you can scan barcodes as well is a neat touch.