The get fit, stay fit thread

I'm 5"7 ish and around the 9 stone mark last time I checked. Currently I plan to put on some weight over the summer, firstly I need to improve my diet, too many empty calories and not enough protein. I'm a pretty fit person despite myself, my main issues are with upper body strength ATM. Any advice or workout plans? I don't have a gym buddy in for the pretty basic gym in Dumfries so I can't really lift bro. Usually go to the CSE (pleasance ) gym which is a million times better

This could be a mad enquiry and 'out of left field' so to speak, but here goes...

I'm starting my training for the half marathon in October next week, and having not run too much since February/March, I realise that my muscles will start to take a pounding. I'm also going to be doing some light weights/resistance work in line with trying to lose a bit of weight. So my question is, is it worth my while, or is there any need to start using protein shakes/energy shakes or the likes either pre or post training?

Cheers.

In short, to save typing/reading time...no.

Make sure you're well hydrated generally, don't just binge on water a couple of hours before you run, and make sure your general diet is decent (that's a whole other question and answer), and if you need a wee boost have a banana or a piece on jam beforehand. To aid recovery post-excersise, have a slightly carb heavy meal once you're home and showered etc (wholewheat pasta or brown rice is a decent shout but pay attention to portion control...you're not trying to stuff yourself), and add a little more salt to the water in the pan than you would normally (not enough that it greatly affects the taste...that's too much).

And stretch.

Supplements have their uses (again a whole other question/answer that's been done to death on here and frustrated the life out of myself and guys like mhak,.and I believe there's a Falkirk fan too who knows his stuff)...but for your purposes, nature provides everything you could possibly require in abundance.

Edited by Al B

Came back from a 2 weel holiday in Canada a stone and a half heavier than when I left. Fast food and portion sizes over there are ridiculous but it was worth it.

Not been this excited to start exercising again in a while though.

Anyone tried Insanity here? I'm currently half way through it and I feel superb. I can already see the difference in myself and I feel a lot fitter. This has certainly helped me over the summer until my football starts again.

The main factor I feel is that I've ate healthy, ate regular small portions 5 times a day and put a lot of effort into the workouts each night.

Roll on the next month.

Anyone tried Insanity here? I'm currently half way through it and I feel superb. I can already see the difference in myself and I feel a lot fitter. This has certainly helped me over the summer until my football starts again.

The main factor I feel is that I've ate healthy, ate regular small portions 5 times a day and put a lot of effort into the workouts each night.

Roll on the next month.

5 posts, 5 fucking posts!

Roll on the next month.

Every man and their dug in airdrie is doing that insanity. Except me. I just lift.

Roll on the next month.

Been doing it 3 years on and off, currently about 6 weeks into it alongside 7's, a bit of swimming and a better diet.

And stretch.

I read that there has been extensive research into the benefits of pre and post stretching and the conclusion was that there was no perceivable benefit. I don't stretch before or after running and lifting and it hasn't caused me any grief in 20 years.

All depends if you're talking about the benefit of stretching in regards to a warm-up/cool-down, or the benefit of stretching in regards to conditioning and maintenance of the body.

Stretching in itself is obviously key for flexibility...and flexibility is obviously going to improve sporting performance and prevent injury.

I read that there has been extensive research into the benefits of pre and post stretching and the conclusion was that there was no perceivable benefit. I don't stretch before or after running and lifting and it hasn't caused me any grief in 20 years.

You're probably thinking of the research showing that static stretching prior to lifting is detrimental to performance. Dynamic stretching pre-workout and static post-workout is beneficial. I don't do it as it's boring and I can't be arsed, but it's proven to help.

Edited by Mak

This morning I completed a 2.5 mile run in scorching conditions. I then cuffed one of my pals down at the tennis courts (I'm a regular player, ftr) #outdoorexcercise. I then lifted some dumbbells (15KG), and topped it off with a chilled shower. #noweightsnodates #athlete #god

• 2 weeks later...