Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

I thought Endgame was brilliant. It was by no means a perfect film in terms of some of the storytelling and pacing but I never thought about the run time at all during it and they delivered some ridiculously big spots which left me feeling excited and emotional. For someone like me who knew very little of the Marvel universe beyond the obvious fringes I have spent the last decade soaking it all up and it was a massively satisfying ending to this long journey.

I suppose the only thing that I am a little anxious about is the next step in the whole process. I am still very much behind in terms of understanding the Marvel universe and the potential threads they can weave but with a young son who has all this to look forward to I cannot wait until I introduce him to this cycle of films when he is old enough.

On 28/04/2019 at 19:04, stumigoo said:

I thought Endgame was brilliant. It was by no means a perfect film in terms of some of the storytelling and pacing but I never thought about the run time at all during it and they delivered some ridiculously big spots which left me feeling excited and emotional. For someone like me who knew very little of the Marvel universe beyond the obvious fringes I have spent the last decade soaking it all up and it was a massively satisfying ending to this long journey.

I suppose the only thing that I am a little anxious about is the next step in the whole process. I am still very much behind in terms of understanding the Marvel universe and the potential threads they can weave but with a young son who has all this to look forward to I cannot wait until I introduce him to this cycle of films when he is old enough.

Very well put mate, 

First post on this thread.

Superhero stuff didn’t generally hold any appeal for me, but my son is very much into them. He persuaded me to watch the first two Avengers films on DVD. They seemed reasonable enough fare - lots of explosions and buildings getting smashed. Can’t recall much about the plot of the second one. Took him to see Ant Man and the Wasp, which I enjoyed. I’ve also really liked the Deadpool films, which are a separate entity, I guess.

Was talked into watching the 3rd Avengers film - this was a game changer for me. Thanos was a refreshing change for a villain. Not after power, money or conquest, but just believing he was doing the right thing. Almost came across as a sympathetic character. Also, a film ending “on a downer” always appeals to me (such as The Empire Strikes Back, Seven or The Vanishing). Realised it explained the ending of AM&TW and I that had watched them in the wrong order. Decided I would see the 4th film on its cinema release. Watched 2 Iron Man films with my boy, and we all saw Captain Marvel in the meantime (loved the Stan Lee Mallrats reference).

Last night I took the kids to see Endgame. Really enjoyed it. Having seen only a handful of the films I don’t get half of the references and don’t know all of the characters, but as a conclusion it worked for me. My son was totally wrapped up in it - I loved seeing his reactions to certain scenes and characters.

Might take in a few more. Intrigued by the Dr Strange character - was his film any good?

Guest Moomintroll
First post on this thread.
Superhero stuff didn’t generally hold any appeal for me, but my son is very much into them. He persuaded me to watch the first two Avengers films on DVD. They seemed reasonable enough fare - lots of explosions and buildings getting smashed. Can’t recall much about the plot of the second one. Took him to see Ant Man and the Wasp, which I enjoyed. I’ve also really liked the Deadpool films, which are a separate entity, I guess.
Was talked into watching the 3rd Avengers film - this was a game changer for me. Thanos was a refreshing change for a villain. Not after power, money or conquest, but just believing he was doing the right thing. Almost came across as a sympathetic character. Also, a film ending “on a downer” always appeals to me (such as The Empire Strikes Back, Seven or The Vanishing). Realised it explained the ending of AM&TW and I that had watched them in the wrong order. Decided I would see the 4th film on its cinema release. Watched 2 Iron Man films with my boy, and we all saw Captain Marvel in the meantime (loved the Stan Lee Mallrats reference).
Last night I took the kids to see Endgame. Really enjoyed it. Having seen only a handful of the films I don’t get half of the references and don’t know all of the characters, but as a conclusion it worked for me. My son was totally wrapped up in it - I loved seeing his reactions to certain scenes and characters.
Might take in a few more. Intrigued by the Dr Strange character - was his film any good?
Dr Strange got me liking Cumberbum after a long period of hatred, the start of the main battle in Endgame doesn't really make sense unless you have seen it imho. I actually cheered when the "fireworks" started to appear & I am 44 ffs.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Just been to see it again.

I love it 3000.

Can we discuss it properly without spoilers yet?

Probably not. Not unless an Endgame thread were to be created with "SPOILERS" in the title so people know not to go in if they haven't seen it, and if they do still go in it's their own fault.

On 25/04/2019 at 23:17, paul-r-cfc said:

Anyone else notice the bottle of Irn bru on Thor's window sill? Also fairly sure he was drinking Innis and Gunn

Yup, clocked that, and it was definitely Innis and Gunn he was drinking (the one with the red label).

Maybe I missed it but where is New Asgard? In the films I mean? In real life it's in Scotland (place called St Abbs, down in the Borders  which would explain the Irn Bru and Innis and Gunn references).

Is it in Norway, in the place Odin dies?

14 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Just been to see it again.

I love it 3000.

Can we discuss it properly without spoilers yet?

Nah, I say go for it. Folk must surely expect spoilers on this thread. I've avoided this thread since the film came out until now, as I'm just out the cinema from seeing it.

Loved it.

When they were on Vormir and Red Skull was going on about having to lose shit to get the stone, could Barton not just have piped up with "Aye pal, I've lost my wife and kids, so hand over the fucking stone you big mad red puss Nazi p***k!"?

Was disappointed when Thanos was trying to force the axe in to Thor's chest that Thor didn't say "Should have went for the head!".

Delighted to see Meek and Korg. Top lads. Think they've glossed over why Valkyrie wasn't involved in Infinity War though (in the films I mean; in real life it was because the actress was shooting Creed 2 I think).

Loved all the callbacks and seeing characters from before like the Ancient One and Frigga, and especially Quill dancing and singing from the opening of the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

Seems like the Avengers will all go their seperate ways now and that there might not be an overall arc tying the next lot of films together. Someone already mentioned that the next Spiderman will be the end of this 'phase', but after that we'l have Black Panther 2, Dr Strange 2, Guardians 3 and probably Captain Marvel 2.

Guest Moomintroll
Nah, I say go for it. Folk must surely expect spoilers on this thread. I've avoided this thread since the film came out until now, as I'm just out the cinema from seeing it.
Loved it.
When they were on Vormir and Red Skull was going on about having to lose shit to get the stone, could Barton not just have piped up with "Aye pal, I've lost my wife and kids, so hand over the fucking stone you big mad red puss Nazi p***k!"?
Was disappointed when Thanos was trying to force the axe in to Thor's chest that Thor didn't say "Should have went for the head!".
Delighted to see Meek and Korg. Top lads. Think they've glossed over why Valkyrie wasn't involved in Infinity War though (in the films I mean; in real life it was because the actress was shooting Creed 2 I think).
Loved all the callbacks and seeing characters from before like the Ancient One and Frigga, and especially Quill dancing and singing from the opening of the first Guardians of the Galaxy.
Seems like the Avengers will all go their seperate ways now and that there might not be an overall arc tying the next lot of films together. Someone already mentioned that the next Spiderman will be the end of this 'phase', but after that we'l have Black Panther 2, Dr Strange 2, Guardians 3 and probably Captain Marvel 2.
What I couldn't understand about Valkyrie is how she magically had Aragorn back.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup, clocked that, and it was definitely Innis and Gunn he was drinking (the one with the red label).

Maybe I missed it but where is New Asgard? In the films I mean? In real life it's in Scotland (place called St Abbs, down in the Borders  which would explain the Irn Bru and Innis and Gunn references).

Is it in Norway, in the place Odin dies?

Loved it.

Got to imagine that captain marvel, strange, spiderman, falcon, bucky, wanda and maybe war machine will be the new avengers

The next wave...
PHASE FOUR
Black Widow (May 2020)
The Eternals (Nov 2020)
Black Panther 2 (Feb 2021)
Doctor Strange 2 (May 2021)
Shang-Chi (Nov 2021)

28 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Is there anything to suggest Hulk won't play a role in the next phase? Given that he's pretty much the super brain of the lot now, would make sense for him to still be involved in some way.

You'd hope to see him, but I wouldn't like a Hulk movie. 

28 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Is there anything to suggest Hulk won't play a role in the next phase? Given that he's pretty much the super brain of the lot now, would make sense for him to still be involved in some way.

If so it will be cameos again, there wont be a full fledged avengers type film for years now, and seemingly some licencing issues leftover from the 90's mean marvel/disney dont own the rights to a standalone hulk film