Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

Just now, gkneil said:

I thought it was the dagger used to try and kill Bran, and it was claimed to by Tyrion's so that lead Catelyn down the route of blaming Tyrion for the attempt on Bran's life.

But I can't recall if it was ever confirmed to be Tyrion's or Littelfinger's (or someone else's)

It was Tyrion's, but he lost it to Littlefinger in a bet, if i remember correctly.

Yeah it was Littlefingers. The fact hes probably aware than Bran knows this, and that Ayra is making it obvious how easily she could kill him, will have him coiling like a snake, his bite could be devastating.

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It was never fully clear who was behind the second attempt to kill Brann either in the book or TV series.

It's pretty clear in the books at least.

Spoiler

Both Tyrion and Jamie work out separately that it was Joffrey who arranged it.

Edited by Rodhull

I've Googled it and it explains whose dagger it is. I'd post the whole thing but I'm worried someone will claims it's some form of spoiler. It says it's Joffreys though.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I've Googled it and it explains whose dagger it is. I'd post the whole thing but I'm worried someone will claims it's some form of spoiler. It says it's Joffreys though.

Doubt it's something that the show will bother with that much now anyway. It's moving at such a place as it's coming to the end they didn't even bother having Bran or Arya acknowledge/react to Rickon being dead.

Doubt it's something that the show will bother with that much now anyway. It's moving at such a place as it's coming to the end they didn't even bother having Bran or Arya acknowledge/react to Rickon being dead.

Why would they acknowledge him?

Even I'd forgotten about his stupid wee face until I saw him again in season 5

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I think he'll threaten to withdraw his support in the KotV when shit hits the fan, there's way he's going down meekly.

I also think Cersei might not care too much about Jaime being captured and its like a reverse play on the books when he abandons her, and this'll lead to him turning against her.

That wouldn't go well for him tho, cause Littlefinger rules the vale on behalf of Lysa's son, but none of the lords respect him remotely, so if he proposed an action that the lords strongly opposed, they would fight it.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Did we find out who the dagger belonged to? It was so long ago.

It was littlefinger's and when questioned he claimed that he lost it to Tyrion gambling, but as far as i can remember, Tyrion was never told this or admitted he had owned such a dagger, so for all we know it is just bollocks spun by Littlefinger as part of his plan to get the wars started and bring himself into power

51 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

That wouldn't go well for him tho, cause Littlefinger rules the vale on behalf of Lysa's son, but none of the lords respect him remotely, so if he proposed an action that the lords strongly opposed, they would fight it.

It was littlefinger's and when questioned he claimed that he lost it to Tyrion gambling, but as far as i can remember, Tyrion was never told this or admitted he had owned such a dagger, so for all we know it is just bollocks spun by Littlefinger as part of his plan to get the wars started and bring himself into power

The dagger belonged to King Robert, Joffrey stole it from the armoury that travelled with the king and gave it to a hired man to kill Bran. 

Littlefinger had owned it, he told Catlyn that he lost it to Tyrion who bet on the Mountain against Jaime but Littlefinger had bet the dagger with Robert not Tyrion. In the books his story comes undone when Jaime points out to Cat that Tyrion never bets against his brother, this is part of when she releases him and causes yet more chaos for King Robb.  

Speculation but putting it in spoiler tags if people do not want to read it.

'The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself'

GRRM.

We may see Jaime be a prisoner of the Targayrians and very likely set to be executed for king slaying. 

Not been much conflict in Tyrion so far. 

"Once for love", Danny had a vision in which she was betrayed 3 times, one of those times was for love. 

43 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

The dagger belonged to King Robert, Joffrey stole it from the armoury that travelled with the king and gave it to a hired man to kill Bran. 

Littlefinger had owned it, he told Catlyn that he lost it to Tyrion who bet on the Mountain against Jaime but Littlefinger had bet the dagger with Robert not Tyrion. In the books his story comes undone when Jaime points out to Cat that Tyrion never bets against his brother, this is part of when she releases him and causes yet more chaos for King Robb.  

Must admit I never liked the 'Joffrey did it' conclusion that GRRM decided upon. Seemed like a twist for a twist's sake. Made far more sense for it to be Cersei and/or Jaime.

44 minutes ago, The OP said:

Must admit I never liked the 'Joffrey did it' conclusion that GRRM decided upon. Seemed like a twist for a twist's sake. Made far more sense for it to be Cersei and/or Jaime.

I have to agree with this, i mean what motivation would Joffrey have had at the time to want Bran dead, at the time it happened he was hundreds of miles away heading home with his "father" and trying get Sansa to like him. If Joffrey was to try and get anyone killed it would have been Arya for embarrassing him and showing him to be a coward. He wasn't aware of his true parentage at that moment and so he would have no reason to want to silence Bran. To me the most likely candidates are Cersei and Littlefinger, Cersei for obvious reasons and Littlefinger trying to force a divide against Ned and Robert/Start a conflict. 

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

At this point in the books that is what two other characters believe happened, but that doesn't make it fully clear that it is what actually happened given GRRM's single character's point-of-view narration style. Two more books to go, so we may not have heard the lost word on that.

If Littlefinger is as knowledgeable as the show builds him up to be, I would have to assume that he knows Bran knows about him.  The whole "chaos is a ladder" and asking the origin of the dagger is enough clues for him to work out Bran knows.  I would also have to assume he would have knowledge of the Faceless Men, and Arya's "No One" would be a big enough clue to him.  

What can Littlefinger conjure up, to get him out of the mess he is in?  If Bran tells Arya, Jon or Sansa about the dagger and his role in the start of the War of the Five Kings, he is dead. He is a survivor though.