Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

Exactly.
You get cancer.
You pray to God.
You find out cancer is gone.
You praise God for his mercy.
At no point do you consider that God gave you cancer. Doctors and Scientists are the ones who cured it.
I like pointing this out to Trumpers who think that science is evil for trying to disprove the existence of God, lying about climate change etc.

I recently watched the 3rd series of the Sinner where one of the main characters asked his lecturer if God could make a rock heavy enough that he couldn't lift it.

If he couldnt lift it, he is not all powerful.

If the couldn't make it, he is not all powerful.

Try that on them.

Failing that, tell them you dont want to go to heaven because it must be absolute full of flies.

Yep, I've heard that one before. It's astonishing to me how many religious people are 100% convinced that God controls everything AND is infallible. Until something bad happens and it had nothing to do with him. But you ask him nicely, he'll fix it for you.

"Pray for the tornado victims!"

Yep, I've heard that one before. It's astonishing to me how many religious people are 100% convinced that God controls everything AND is infallible. Until something bad happens and it had nothing to do with him. But you ask him nicely, he'll fix it for you.
I am building myself up to meet a right wing god botherer (not a specific one, just any will do) about whether or not it squares with Gods will that we have man made borders and are willing to inflict terrible suffering on others in order to maintain said borders.

I would like an American to put their immigration policy in the context of believing God exists.

Scum.

There is quite a consensus that if only you prayed more and especially tithed more then God would stop these things from happening.  Adds to the stupidity in my view but what do i know I can't even get one dead person in my 2020 dead pool.

47 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

There is quite a consensus that if only you prayed more and especially tithed more then God would stop these things from happening.  Adds to the stupidity in my view but what do i know I can't even get one dead person in my 2020 dead pool.

Have you tried praying for Dead Pool hits? It's my understanding this this is something over which the Big Man does have some control.

I am building myself up to meet a right wing god botherer (not a specific one, just any will do) about whether or not it squares with Gods will that we have man made borders and are willing to inflict terrible suffering on others in order to maintain said borders.

I would like an American to put their immigration policy in the context of believing God exists.

Scum.

There's a good chance you'll find that they're a lovely person, with incomprehensible and horrible political views.

America has a lot of them.

On 09/07/2020 at 15:05, Shotgun said:

So much this,

I read a book a couple of months where a guy in America is falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit. He was treated terribly and had to suffer a crazy amount of injustice. 

When he was first arrested he prayed to god that the mistake would quickly be rectified. When he was banged up in prison over the weekend he prayed to god to get out on the Monday. When he was told it was going to court he prayed he could bail. When he was told that bail was denied and that he'd had to serve time in juvenile detention until the case could be heard, he prayed to god that the trial would come quick. When the trial was repeatedly delayed he prayed to god that he wouldn't be transferred to a full on adult prison. When he was transferred to a full on adult prison, he prayed to god that the trial would clear everything up. When the trial was horribly botched by his lawyer and he was sentenced to six years in prison, he prayed he could stay strong and make it through. When he descended in to drugs and prison wine, he stopped praying.

When he got clean he started praying again. He prayed to have a retrial and completed an application for it. When the application was rejected he prayed that he could just do his time and get out unscathed. When he was then transferred, with no warning, to one of the roughest prisons in the country, he prayed to be kept safe. When he was then transferred to a 'better' prison, he profusely thanked god.

When he got out he prayed that his life could get back on track. When a change in the law then meant that he had to wear an ankle bracelet, he prayed that he could get a job. When the ankle bracelet prevented him getting a job, he prayed he could just get by.

When he was thrown in to solitary confinement for 4 days for a paperwork error that was not his fault, he prayed to god to get out. When he got out he was charged and faced going back to prison for many more years.

And so on. He faced many more appalling injustices but finally got his appeal heard and his sentencing, which included him being registered as a sex offender, overturned, but it took years. He was robbed of going to college on a scholarship to play American football. He lost the best years of his life, and was then harassed and shunned for years after serving his prison sentence. He was denied opportunities and friends deserted him. His accuser finally admitted she made it up for money and even then he had to go through a crazy process and take mad risks that could have seen him back in prison, for life, if it went wrong.

At the end he thanked god for getting his sentence overturned. Mental, absolutely mental. That sort of thought process is so insane to me. 

The book is actually a really good read, and he's an amazing guy who faced so much but was able to keep going. He says his faith kept him going, and I don't doubt it, but I just can't square the thought process of it all. He prayed so much and at times it seems like, if god was real, they were heard and they resulted in punishment rather than help. The small occasions where things went his way, and of course the end where the big decision went his way, were apparently all down to god, and he profusely thanks god. Eh?

I'll never understand it.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

So much this,

I read a book a couple of months where a guy in America is falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit. He was treated terribly and had to suffer a crazy amount of injustice. 

When he was first arrested he prayed to god that the mistake would quickly be rectified. When he was banged up in prison over the weekend he prayed to god to get out on the Monday. When he was told it was going to court he prayed he could bail. When he was told that bail was denied and that he'd had to serve time in juvenile detention until the case could be heard, he prayed to god that the trial would come quick. When the trial was repeatedly delayed he prayed to god that he wouldn't be transferred to a full on adult prison. When he was transferred to a full on adult prison, he prayed to god that the trial would clear everything up. When the trial was horribly botched by his lawyer and he was sentenced to six years in prison, he prayed he could stay strong and make it through. When he descended in to drugs and prison wine, he stopped praying.

When he got clean he started praying again. He prayed to have a retrial and completed an application for it. When the application was rejected he prayed that he could just do his time and get out unscathed. When he was then transferred, with no warning, to one of the roughest prisons in the country, he prayed to be kept safe. When he was then transferred to a 'better' prison, he profusely thanked god.

When he got out he prayed that his life could get back on track. When a change in the law then meant that he had to wear an ankle bracelet, he prayed that he could get a job. When the ankle bracelet prevented him getting a job, he prayed he could just get by.

When he was thrown in to solitary confinement for 4 days for a paperwork error that was not his fault, he prayed to god to get out. When he got out he was charged and faced going back to prison for many more years.

And so on. He faced many more appalling injustices but finally got his appeal heard and his sentencing, which included him being registered as a sex offender, overturned, but it took years. He was robbed of going to college on a scholarship to play American football. He lost the best years of his life, and was then harassed and shunned for years after serving his prison sentence. He was denied opportunities and friends deserted him. His accuser finally admitted she made it up for money and even then he had to go through a crazy process and take mad risks that could have seen him back in prison, for life, if it went wrong.

At the end he thanked god for getting his sentence overturned. Mental, absolutely mental. That sort of thought process is so insane to me. 

The book is actually a really good read, and he's an amazing guy who faced so much but was able to keep going. He says his faith kept him going, and I don't doubt it, but I just can't square the thought process of it all. He prayed so much and at times it seems like, if god was real, they were heard and they resulted in punishment rather than help. The small occasions where things went his way, and of course the end where the big decision went his way, were apparently all down to god, and he profusely thanks god. Eh?

I'll never understand it.

I pray to God the lassie involved died a horrible death in a rat infested hellhole like the utter scumbag deserved.

30 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I pray to God the lassie involved died a horrible death in a rat infested hellhole like the utter scumbag deserved.

Nope. She (well mostly her mother) successfully sued the school district at the time of the original arrest for $1.5M.

She lied in court numerous times. She lied to the police numerous times, even changing her story almost every time she spoke to them.

After he was acquitted, the school district sued her to and recovered $750,000 as well as attorney fees and damages. She faced zero charges.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
On 05/07/2020 at 11:24, hearthammer said:
The fact that they're accepting  "Debit EBTs", this convenience store will be bust soon, but will likely re-open as "The Convenience Store" fairly soon. 

Underrated post. Would greenie again if possible.

Dear Katherine, have a greenie for that lovely thought.