Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

4 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Not sure what’s worst about that one. The saccharine sentimentality, the religious overtones or the use of “special needs” in 2021.

What's the proper nomenclature these days? My mum was a special needs teacher all her life, so I want to warn her that things have changed!

Just lucky it wasn't an American motivational, or it'd have been "angels disguised as retards"  :shutup

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

What's the proper nomenclature these days? My mum was a special needs teacher all her life, so I want to warn her that things have changed!

Just lucky it wasn't an American motivational, or it'd have been "angels disguised as retards"  :shutup

Disabled or, preferably, something more specific.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
8 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:
Disabled or, preferably, something more specific.

Wasn't disabled changed to less abled? It's a minefield man!

Ideally, you’d ask the person how they’d like to be identified. I believe the argument against “Special Needs” is that their needs aren’t special, they’re human needs.

It does change a lot and, as someone who teaches “Additional Support Needs” swimming lessons, I will occasionally be pulled up on terminology by parents.

To show how quickly terms become unacceptable, I can remember as a child that, outside of newsagents, there would be charity statuettes of a child in a wheelchair, prominently displaying the name of the charity it was supporting. That charity’s name was a term that, hopefully, no one today would consider using for someone with cerebral palsy.

Handicapable.

For what it's worth, a quick search for "special needs teacher jobs" shows that it's still an acceptable term in the industry. Really not sure why it wouldn't be.

From the cerebral palsy website.

Using proper terminology is empowering

Misused, outdated, or negative terminology is inappropriate and hurtful. A person with impairment should not be defined by his or her condition: He is not spastic, he has spastic Cerebral Palsy. Recognizing outdated terminology is respectful: She is not wheelchair-bound, she uses a wheelchair. Eliminating negative tone is respectful: He is not ‘special ed,’ he participates in the special education program. Eliminating disrespectful slang and words that imply victimization is appropriate: He is not a victim, unfortunate, crippled, sufferer, stricken by, retarded, spastic, or incapacitated; he simply has impairment.

I don't really know where to start.

Obviously it's pish.

If pensioners get a shit state pension then surely my fury should be with the UK government.

If immigrants did get an annual benefit of nearly £30k then is that their fault?

When you see this getting shared you realise how Brexit happened and how easy it is to convince folk to hate migrants.

34 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I don't really know where to start.

Obviously it's pish.

If pensioners get a shit state pension then surely my fury should be with the UK government.

If immigrants did get an annual benefit of nearly £30k then is that their fault?

When you see this getting shared you realise how Brexit happened and how easy it is to convince folk to hate migrants.

Their fury should be with themselves for having voted for a party who never have nor will give a f**k about pensioners, or anyone else claiming state benefits. Because the folk frothing about such things invariably did, and will again.

Far easier to blame everything on The Other than to take a look in the mirror.

On 10/07/2021 at 22:19, BFTD said:

Their fury should be with themselves for having voted for a party who never have nor will give a f**k about pensioners, or anyone else claiming state benefits. Because the folk frothing about such things invariably did, and will again.

Far easier to blame everything on The Other than to take a look in the mirror.

Too many selfish b*****ds on the loose that have no conscience. A very British disease. 

Just look at the fucking yahoo's holidaying around the continent. They obviously don't get out much. 

Edited by BlueBear