Doctor Who

yoda

Oh, and also, whoever the dude is who plays the Great Intelligence, he plays him with just the right amount of world weary tiredness and evenness.

You're kidding right???

I agree with your point but am amazed you don't recognise Richard E. Grant!!!

I thought you had been a student, like forever!!! :rolleyes:

Oh, and also, whoever the dude is who plays the Great Intelligence, he plays him with just the right amount of world weary tiredness and evenness.

Richard E Grant who played an alternate doctor on radio plays.

You're kidding right???

I agree with your point but am amazed you don't recognise Richard E. Grant!!!

I thought you had been a student, like forever!!! :rolleyes:

I don't really watch tv or films all that much tbh. He is excellent though!

My god, that was amazing! This last series has been really amazing, I think I've enjoyed it more than any Dr Who before. Also, John Hurt is an amazing actor, Clara is amazingly beautiful, the writing has improved massively in the last series, and the only weakness (IMO) is Matt Smith, but even he isn't too bad.

In short, its almost all amazing.

You're joking?! I think Matt Smith is a brilliant Doctor, he's getting better with every series. that part when Clara mentions trenzalore, and you see the tears in his eyes sitting on the couch was some fine acting

Theory Time!!!

Here’s a possibility…

What if Hurt is the Valeyard and the Incarnation that ended the Time War???

Based on the show’s history, the Valeyard is able to cross time lines with the Doctor. So it is possible that the Valeyard co-existed with the life of the 8th Doctor and participated in the Time War in some manner. The Valeyard is also set up as the darkest aspects of the Doctor, but more than just a dark Doctor…this is an incarnation with a different name/title!!!

What Hurt’s “Doctor” did was in the name of peace and sanity, but not in the name of the Doctor. Ending the Time War was a done in such a devastating way because of the hellish madness and countless millions dying endless deaths. The destruction though of Gallifrey would be something very much the antithisis of being the “Doctor”. If they keep the definition of the Valeyard as a “"learned court prosecutor”, then this just might be the type of person who could condemn both the Time Lords and the Daleks to extinction for their respective war crimes!!!

Therefore...

The 8th Doctor and the Valeyard somehow end up time locked in the Time War together. The 8th Doctor continues to be the Doctor throughout the war, but becomes aware of the Valeyard’s activities involving “The Moment”. Maybe even they both are involved, with the Doctor planning on preventing the Lord President’s "Ultimate Sanction". The Valeyard though decided to use the Moment to end the time war, an act that the Doctor sees as betraying the promise. That incident also causes the regeneration of the 8th doctor into the 9th!!!

The 9th Doctor, having witnessed himself as the “Valeyard” end the time war knows that “he” is responsible for the destruction of the Time Lords. Given that the Doctor is Valeyard and Valeyard is the Doctor (Its all him, as pointed out when the Doctor and Clara are inside the scar tissue/energy), the 9th and subsequent Doctors do not distinguish “who” ended the time war when talking about it to others. They just live with the knowledge that at some point, the they as the Valeyard will exist and destroy Gallifrey. That is a fixed point, and will occur!!!

Quite enjoyed that.

For my part, I thought that when you could only see John Hurt from behind, I thought it looked like the John Simm incarnation of The Master. That would have been interesting.

That's exactly what I thought! Another thing which could be brought back as his wife has the ring.

Simm's said he's not in the anniversary special. Could be misdirection of course, but with the Zygons, Daleks, Cybermen and (presumably) the Great Intelligence and perhaps the Whisper Men all involved, will there be room for him? The special's only an hour long!

As good as it was, i did think the " introducing John Hurt as the doctor " was a bit of a cheap get out and completely out of place. He should have been written into the storyline for his introduction.

As good as it was, i did think the " introducing John Hurt as the doctor " was a bit of a cheap get out and completely out of place. He should have been written into the storyline for his introduction.

Disagree. Better to keep an air of mystery around him until the anniversary special I reckon. I'm sure all will be explained eventually.

Could someone contextualise the Valeyard arcs from the old series? I don't think I ever saw them.

Put the sixth Doctor on trial, was keen for a conviction and terminal sentence.

Was part of a bigger plot involving the high council of time lords to silence the Doctor (who had discovered dodgy goings on but not made the full connection) and was promised the Doctor's remaining regenerations in exchange for a conviction. Exposed by the Master, who revealed him to be part of the Doctor's darker side, somewhere between his 12th and 13th incarnation.

Was foiled, but escaped.

More here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard

Disagree. Better to keep an air of mystery around him until the anniversary special I reckon. I'm sure all will be explained eventually.

I agree the mystery should stay, but they could have at least left the cliffhanger with him saying " I'm the Doctor " or something. Found the introducing John Hurt part to be quite tacky and took me out of the moment.

I just can't see past it being the Valeyard tbh.Moffat has vaguely hinted at that sort of character back in Amy's Choice with The Dream Lord who was a pyschic projection of all The Doctor's dark personality traits.

The whole secret 9th Doctor theory gets more and more off-putting every time I read about it. It's bloody depressing that a couple of sites have reported that it's the most popular theory among Doctor Who fans atm. However, most Who fans whose stuff I've read on the internet have confidently been claiming that Clara/Oswin definitely is River Song for just under a year now so there's hope yet.

However, most Who fans whose stuff I've read on the internet have confidently been claiming that Clara/Oswin definitely is River Song for just under a year now so there's hope yet.

Indeed, remember the obsessives with their missing ducks, theories about how the Doctor avoids dying, and picking up on millions upon millions of red herrings? To be a Dr Who fan is to read too much into everything.

Indeed, remember the obsessives with their missing ducks, theories about how the Doctor avoids dying, and picking up on millions upon millions of red herrings? To be a Dr Who fan is to read too much into everything.

Oh yeah, all stemmed from the "Why is it a duck pond if there aren't any ducks?" throwaway line in The Eleventh Hour. I remember hearing a podcast where someone was convinced that The Angels Take Manhatten was going to address that question. I'm utterly amazed that some Doctor Who fans manage to get so caught up and focused on stuff like that. Meanwhile we're yet to get a proper answer for why the Tardis exploded in the Pandorica Opens and why the screen cracked and we heard a voice say "Silence Will Fall".

Edited by captainkev

Oh yeah, all stemmed from the "Why is it a duck pond if there aren't any ducks?" throwaway line in The Eleventh Hour. I'm remember hearing a podcast where someone was convinced that The Angels Take Manhatten was going to address that question. I'm utterly amazed that some Doctor Who fans manage to get so caught up and focused on stuff like that. Meanwhile we're yet to get a proper answer for why the Tardis exploded in the Pandorica Opens and why the screen cracked and we heard a voice say "Silence Will Fall".

Oh aye, what the feck happened with that?

I don't even remember that. Luckily, if anything happens that refers to a previously-shown episode they usually show you the relevant bit in flashback. Which is handy for people like me with a terrible attention spa...

Oh! A squirrel!