stone roses

doulikefish

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heaton park wos Average and I wos sort of half expecting same..... Wrong!!!!

Utterly tremendous,Band,Crowd,Weather and even Ian Browns tones...

Hearin diff stories of this and that doesnt bother me if I witnessed or not as im sure the OB would tell you its normal practice up and down the country most weekends & stick 40/45000 blokes together in park after several gallons o drink and what ever else aint goin trouble free....

God bless 1 and all for probably my best ever gig in over 20yr

I thought Heaton Park was better as well I was there on the Saturday. Admittedly I was goosed this time and only have sketchy memories of parts of the roses set. The atmosphere was good but not a patch on last year.

Didn't bother about the view or Jake Bugg but in to catch the end of the Scream Team. Sound overall wasn't great - not the music but the sound system.

I think that sometimes bands are better off staying elusive and as an enigma.

When the Roses first came along a handful of people at my school liked them, I'm guessing that the surprise factor along with a good supply of good pills was the main reason that the original Glasgow green event was so good.

I sat on the fence about going to see them and judging by the videos I made the right choice in staying away.

I've got recordings of the original gigs and the new gigs sound like a half arsed tribute band.

Listening to thousands of pissed up neds pretending to be huge fans, since back in the day maaaan, getting the words and key changes wrong is my idea of hell and pisses all over their legacy.

roses were great. The gig itself was limited by factors out with their control which was rain and the wind blowing the sound about a bit. I got completely nutted and danced with a lassie the whole way through it after losing my mates because the massive phone traffic in one area shut down my signal presumably. All these things have to be accepted at gigs like this and was the reason I didn't bother with the brit gigs last year choosing instead to go to Amsterdam (indoor, ned free.) These gigs are normally hit or miss but I couldn't resist the lure of Glasgow for the history and potential atmosphere.People trying to down it though that weren't there.. come on?? Relax! you missed it, deal with it and move on. Music as ever is a subjective experience

I think that sometimes bands are better off staying elusive and as an enigma.

When the Roses first came along a handful of people at my school liked them, I'm guessing that the surprise factor along with a good supply of good pills was the main reason that the original Glasgow green event was so good.

I sat on the fence about going to see them and judging by the videos I made the right choice in staying away.

I've got recordings of the original gigs and the new gigs sound like a half arsed tribute band.

Listening to thousands of pissed up neds pretending to be huge fans, since back in the day maaaan, getting the words and key changes wrong is my idea of hell and pisses all over their legacy.

The original event was so good because the band were young, on the up, figureheads and sound of a new generation etc. but in the days before mobile phones and social commentary poring over every detail it's taken on mythical status.

That being said, it does not preclude them from being great now. If anything the musicianship they've shown live since coming back is far far better than back in the day

You think people getting pissed and enjoying the music now are neds but back in 1990 they were cool kids? You're looking back with Roses-tinted glasses!

The Roses and their fans had unfinished business; you decided not to go, great, but to call it from a couple of shitty phone video captures with your arse sitting on your sofa makes your point completely invalid. The atmosphere and performance, to me, were great. Just as they were in 1990.

The original event was so good because the band were young, on the up, figureheads and sound of a new generation etc. but in the days before mobile phones and social commentary poring over every detail it's taken on mythical status.

That being said, it does not preclude them from being great now. If anything the musicianship they've shown live since coming back is far far better than back in the day

You think people getting pissed and enjoying the music now are neds but back in 1990 they were cool kids? You're looking back with Roses-tinted glasses!

The Roses and their fans had unfinished business; you decided not to go, great, but to call it from a couple of shitty phone video captures with your arse sitting on your sofa makes your point completely invalid. The atmosphere and performance, to me, were great. Just as they were in 1990.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

a couple of points about this :-)

The roses are much more popular now than they ever were. This of course means more neds per headcount but also IMO more neds in general. In 1990 they were a big indie band but hardly mainstream. They could never have sold as many tickets as they have in the past year. What happened was the 'oasis' factor in the mid nineties. With their simplistic tunes they battered the public into submission and made indie music massive. Oasis also attracted more thuggish fans than the roses ever did and now, ironically, the roses themselves have inadvertently taken up the slack with oasis having chucked it. I was at spike island and the vibe was very different to today's gigs. Hardly any drink and a lot more chilled. Happy Mondays gigs were always a bit more lairy with loads of casuals and not many girls.

I would also say that the roses are far better musicians now although Brown's vocals at the original GG were the best I've ever heard from him. He was out his tits though cos we met them backstage and the pupils were like saucers haha!

• 2 years later...

If there's a new album I hope it's in the style of the hidden track from Second Coming.

I saw them post-reform at a festival in Lisbon in 2012, without the pissed up Brits singing / shouting along to every word like you'd get back home the atmosphere was a bit flat, as was their performance.

Archived