The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday Mail's teams of the day. Why do they bother? Four Queens players in there after a draw, including one guy with a mark of six, keeping out Hyde of Dundee who scored two and got a mark of eight.

I presume it wasn't our strikers who were in there though? Which four were in there? Draw or not it was a decent game and we had several players who played really well on the day (Reid, Black, Carmichael and McKenna the most likely suspects).

The Record was top notch today Euan McArthur says Gayfield is "crumbling" and even Arbroath players hate it. It transpires later in the article that Brian Kerr was actually talking about the weather. The accompanying picture shows Gayfield to be immaculate. It also doesn't mention that Arbroath spent a lot of money a recently upgrading the stand.

Widespread assumptions are made about grounds in the lower leagues. The media would have you believe that Ayr United's success against SPL clubs is largely down to the tight pitch at Somerset Park. Tight? The pitch dimensions at Somerset are identical to the pitch dimensions at Tannadice and Pittodrie. Also, the pitch at Ayr is two yards longer than Tynecastle. Maybe Auchinleck Talbot should be complaining about Hearts having a tight pitch. However I like adverse comments about Somerset Park because they can induce a fear factor in SPL clubs. Before our cup replay against Hibs last season Colin Calderwood was talking as if he was taking his team to play in Barcelona. The expression "crumbling" in relation to Gayfield is awful not only because it is untrue. It is especially awful because it is a cliche. Why can't journalists be more original and apply some thought to the story they are writing?

Sports journalists who normally report on SPL games seem to think Ayr United play at a ground called "Crumbling Somerset". It may not be a state-of-the-art modern legoland stadium, but crumbling it most certainly isn't - if it was I wouldn't have taken my kids there for so many years! I think they get used to the palatial luxury of Ibrox, Parkhead and the rest, and when they are forced to a lower-league ground they take umbrage at the fact they don't have a stuffed leather chair to sit in or a gold-plated toilet to sh*t into. The fact their SPL team gets skelped doesn't help matters lol.

I presume it wasn't our strikers who were in there though? Which four were in there? Draw or not it was a decent game and we had several players who played really well on the day (Reid, Black, Carmichael and McKenna the most likely suspects).

Probably Mark Campbell who was in twice the other week, along with Kevin Cuthbert who wasn't even the best keeper on the pitch vs. Raith nevermind the whole league. That team of the day is a real shambles, an embarrassment. Shows a real lack of attention to detail from the Mail.

The Record was top notch today Euan McArthur says Gayfield is "crumbling" and even Arbroath players hate it. It transpires later in the article that Brian Kerr was actually talking about the weather. The accompanying picture shows Gayfield to be immaculate. It also doesn't mention that Arbroath spent a lot of money a recently upgrading the stand.

In his bit about Peterhead their Chairman is "licking his licks"......that's what I call excited.

Tony Haggerty has an article about "long time advocate" of SPL expansion Steven Pressley. Depends what you call a long time Tony. I seem to remember Steven changing his mind like the weather on the subject. His latest "advocacy" doesn't go back more than a year.

and he'll change it again if falkirk get promoted or he manages to get an spl manager's gig.

Sports journalists who normally report on SPL games seem to think Ayr United play at a ground called "Crumbling Somerset". It may not be a state-of-the-art modern legoland stadium, but crumbling it most certainly isn't - if it was I wouldn't have taken my kids there for so many years! I think they get used to the palatial luxury of Ibrox, Parkhead and the rest, and when they are forced to a lower-league ground they take umbrage at the fact they don't have a stuffed leather chair to sit in or a gold-plated toilet to sh*t into. The fact their SPL team gets skelped doesn't help matters lol.

Curiously, if there's one ground that does seem to have problems it's Ibrox. Wasn't there a plumbing crisis a while back?

The trouble with some writers is that they're schooled in cliches and automatically bend the knee where money (I know it's relative) is concerned. I would start by banning the word 'quality' and the phrases 'handed a boost' and 'injury-hit' under pain of death by decapitation with a blunt monkfish. I'd also choke Allan Preston to death with his golf clubs, but that's for another thread.

Curiously, if there's one ground that does seem to have problems it's Ibrox. Wasn't there a plumbing crisis a while back?

The trouble with some writers is that they're schooled in cliches and automatically bend the knee where money (I know it's relative) is concerned. I would start by banning the word 'quality' and the phrases 'handed a boost' and 'injury-hit' under pain of death by decapitation with a blunt monkfish. I'd also choke Allan Preston to death with his golf clubs, but that's for another thread.

Anyone who describes a player as an 'ace' deserves to die slowly and painfully.

Journalists should also be banned from referring to any player as 'ex-Celtic' or 'ex-Rangers' and not be allowed to say that any player is playing against their boyhood heroes Celtic or Rangers.

Journalists should also be banned from referring to any player as 'ex-Celtic' or 'ex-Rangers' and not be allowed to say that any player is playing against their boyhood heroes Celtic or Rangers.

I'd second that. 6 months with Rangers, 10 years with Ayr United, still referred to as "ex-Rangers". Every club has them!

Sunday Mail's teams of the day. Why do they bother? Four Queens players in there after a draw, including one guy with a mark of six, keeping out Hyde of Dundee who scored two and got a mark of eight.

wouldnt surprise me if the fail had a couple ayr players in it after our game at the weekend laugh.gif

Anyone who describes a player as an 'ace' deserves to die slowly and painfully.

Or uses the word 'starlet'.

In another life, I was sitting in work one day when an agency from not a million miles outside of QoS territory filed a story that contained the phrase 'Dalbeattie Star ace'.

Mind you, that same day the Associated Press filed a feature titled: 'Paris: a Mecca for Israeli Shoppers'.

Umm ... good try.

You might as well try pissing in a force eight gale. Those Old Firm tropes are used all the time. It gets the attention of the blue/green knuckle draggers for a story that ordinarily wouldn't get the steam off a Mumbai tenner-a-day contract sub-editor's pish, sad to say.

I'm getting used to reading interviews with the Thistle manager where all the questions are about Celtic.

Archived