The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

Sunday Mail and Record both report that saturday was Ross County's tenth league win a row when it was their ninth. Ten in a row if you count the cup win over Albion Rovers. Both papers have a new thing on page 2 where they say they will endeavour to correct any mistakes and publish clarifications asap. Saddo that I am, I e-mailed them yesterday about this and it didn't go through both times I tried.

Brilliant, they must have been reading this thread.

Hi, Daily Record / Sunday Mail reporters!

*waves to Daily Record / Sunday Mail reporters*

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the BBC report from our game at NDP on Saturday it claims that Milne knocked in O'Donnell's cross for the first goal - Hutton dropped it at his feet, and the 2nd was a volley when it was a 30 yard lob,

I suspect the reporter wasn't at said game!

It's not shitty but Bill Leckie's use of a simile is just bizarre.

One day, Caley Thistle will have to face days like these without Ross Tokely. It'll be like trying to drive from Inverness to Dingwall after the Kessock Bridge falls down.

What? ICT will cope without Tokely but it might take them longer to reach their destination? I think Mr Leckie's grasp of Scottish geography might be called into question here.

It's not shitty but Bill Leckie's use of a simile is just bizarre.

What? ICT will cope without Tokely but it might take them longer to reach their destination? I think Mr Leckie's grasp of Scottish geography might be called into question here.

Or maybe he knows exactly what he's saying; that ICT without Tokely will be a lot less direct and a lot more attractive?

That can apply to both the style of football and the average looks of the squad.

Kudos to the Sunday Mail who gave out the Falkirk side on Saturday as Cuthbert, Malone... ie the Ayr United side.

Top notch editing.

maybye they just thought name 11 players better than mortons

Been in hospital for a few days and the guy who came round with the papers this morning only had tabloids left so I ended up subjecting myself to the Daily Record. While it's a total piece of shit, this great tactical insight from Greig Thomas did raise a smile:

'Barca coach Pep Guardiola is likely to err on the side of caution in Madrid and play four at the back'

Yes Greig, it's impossible to have an attacking formation when you have four players in defence. That's why Barcelona have only managed a pathetic seventy-three goals in twenty-four games playing with a back four so far this season. Then there's the 4-3-3 formation Real Madrid will be using, described later in the same article as attacking.

Auntie Beeb managed to chalk Morton's goal off just in time for tonight's Sports Report. A bit mean of her.

I am becoming bemused by the jargon from other sports that finds its way into our fitba meeja. Baseball players step up to the plate, not footballers.

For some reason a football team that's defending is 'on the back foot'. Meanwhile, over in the world of cricket, a player who's on the back foot is - I am reliably informed - giving it his best with the bat.

Any crackers from Dodds this afternoon?

The Sunday Fails match report on Camelon v Kelty has so many mistakes in the first paragraph that I gave up - a phonetic spelling mistake and claiming the wrong player (who is a foot shorter and about 6 stone lighter) missed a pen.

BBC Sport with a festive cracker on the Stoke v Spurs game.

They began the second half as they started and finished the first, harrying all over the pitch, and Spurs were pushed firmly on to the back foot.

But Harry Redknapp replaced Assou-Ekotto and Lennon with Sebastien Bassong and Jermain Defoe, switching his formation from 4-4-1-1 to 3-5-1-2, and the move paid off.

Yes, having 12 players on the pitch will always pay off!! dry.gif

Sunday Mail had these little gems.

Livi also had the last effort of a quiet first half but Marc McNulty's drive was held by David McGurn.

The Recreation Park outfit continued where they left off after the break and should have taken a 53rd-minute lead when William Fox blazed over from close range.

Not a mistake as such, but Scotland on Sunday's report of the Morton-Partick match was written by someone who clearly had one too many shandies at their Byres Road Christmas party. Such a bizarre interpretation of events that it was actually funny to read.

Auntie Beeb managed to chalk Morton's goal off just in time for tonight's Sports Report. A bit mean of her.

I am becoming bemused by the jargon from other sports that finds its way into our fitba meeja. Baseball players step up to the plate, not footballers.

For some reason a football team that's defending is 'on the back foot'. Meanwhile, over in the world of cricket, a player who's on the back foot is - I am reliably informed - giving it his best with the bat.

Any crackers from Dodds this afternoon?

I always thought cricketers playing on the back foot were being defensive, contrasted with on the front foot where they are shifting their weight forward to give a ball the full welly. Not a cricket man by any stretch right enough.

Jagstwit found a cracker in the Sunday Mail..

This is not David Rowson. Cairney is not even scoring. Nice.

AgYuex9CEAAo6i0.jpg

that's a disgrace. not limited to thistle either. next week it will be another team and player wrongly named. "Ach, f**k it, just stick that picture in, it might be the player we're after."

Archived