The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notwithstanding the typo, is that really the sort of thing you expect to see from the BBC?

Other than "fans forums", where else are they going to get quotes about Airdrie? Jim Trainor? The typo certainly suggests this was deadline copy anyway.

I think the BBC Sport Scotland Christmas night out might've been last night, there were a few typos, like Jim Goodwin's career "hlighight" but it's hardly worth criticising. The BBC, by and large, know their limits and just reproduce the Press Association reports, which are of little use to anyone. I would like to see the Open All Mics reporters submit comprehensive match reports though, for the website. We know they're at the game, and it'd be good to read something approaching analysis on one or two SFL games each week...

I think the BBC Sport Scotland Christmas night out might've been last night, there were a few typos, like Jim Goodwin's career "hlighight" but it's hardly worth criticising. The BBC, by and large, know their limits and just reproduce the Press Association reports, which are of little use to anyone. I would like to see the Open All Mics reporters submit comprehensive match reports though, for the website. We know they're at the game, and it'd be good to read something approaching analysis on one or two SFL games each week...

That's a good call but I can imagine the reason why not. A further fee for the pundits per match reported upon.

Yet surely they do scribble down their thoughts anyway, in order to provide a coherent verbal summary at the end of the match.

I would like to see the Open All Mics reporters submit comprehensive match reports though, for the website. We know they're at the game, and it'd be good to read something approaching analysis on one or two SFL games each week...

Have you actually sat and listened to Derek Ferguson reading out his post-match summaries on the radio?

I've heard the Blackburn-Bolton game tonight being called "Battle of the Scots" in a few different places. But I was sure Owen Coyle was Northern Irish. Can anyone confirm?

He's certainly not Northern Irish.

He was Scottish by birth but qualified for the Republic of Ireland via the grandparent rule (or perhaps it was a parent), playing a single international game for them. To all intents and purposes he is Scottish and I don't think it's an unreasonable description.

He's certainly not Northern Irish.

He was Scottish by birth but qualified for the Republic of Ireland via the grandparent rule (or perhaps it was a parent), playing a single international game for them. To all intents and purposes he is Scottish and I don't think it's an unreasonable description.

That's fair enough. I knew it was a bit of a grey area but didn't expect the Times and Radio 1 to be getting that kind of thing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like the best place to put this, looks like Jim Traynor is getting the heave-ho from the Record:

http://www.allmedias...edundancy-talks

Probably not something to get too overjoyed about, all things considered. There are many legitimate complaints about the way sports newsdesks are run but what's going on at the Record is something else. You think teams outside the SPL have it bad just now? Wait til the Scottish Mirror, sorry, Daily Record, is reamed by the dead souls and beancounters at Trinity as only they (and Newsquest) can ream scottish newspapers.

Interesting times.

Livingston 1 - 2 Ayr

_57741128_scottishcup.jpgAyr United maintained their interest in two cup competitions by beating Ayr United in the Scottish Cup.

Andrew Geggan prodded home following Tam McManus's header to give the Scottish League Cup semi-finalists the lead on 39 minutes.

Livi levelled just before the break when Mark Fotheringham's corner was converted by the head of Mark McNulty.

But Ayr regained the lead seven minutes after the interval when Michael McGowan finished from close range.

So Ayr United knocked out Ayr United to stay in the cup. No mean feat. Step forward...BBC Sport!

Archived