The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

So you thought the BBC only fucked up with Scottish lower league football?

Front page......'Former Arsenal right-back Lee Dixon'.

Do the people who write the beeb football stuff actually know about football!? :huh:

Can't believe the rubbish they get away with on Pie and Bovril these days, don't they have sub editors or mods anymore? Harrumph!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem is having a BBC reporter to go up to Dingwall with a bit of knowledge about the team he is reporting on as that's what they like to do.

When John Robertson and Brian Irvine were not in footballing jobs we were covered on Open All Mics every week.

Maybe I know nothing about football :(

Wasn't Dixon their left back for 15 odd years?! I'm sure he was left footed at least.......!?!?

Dixon was a right back - Nigel Winterburn was Arsenal's left back of that era.

The Beeb have still managed to f**k the story up right now, tho. The headline on the football homepage current reads 'Arsenal doubtful for top eight-finish - Dixon', but on the homepage proper it says 'Dixon doubts Arsenal top-six spot'.

Make up your mind Lee!

Maybe I know nothing about football :(

Wasn't Dixon their left back for 15 odd years?! I'm sure he was left footed at least.......!?!?

Back down to where you belong ....be off with you (until May at the earliest)

Just remembered this from the Daily Record the day after we put Rangers out the Cup:

In the end, an injury-time blunder by No.2 keeper Neil Alexander sent the First Division minnows through to the last eight.

Keith Jackson - how about a bit of research on other clubs before doing the match report.

Just remembered this from the Daily Record the day after we put Rangers out the Cup:

Keith Jackson - how about a bit of research on other clubs before doing the match report.

Erm, I missing something obvious here?

A less obvious one today, but the main story on the BBC football page is "Manager changes cost clubs £99m". One of the pictures below the headline is of Steve McLaren, who waived his right to compensation from Nottingham Forest.

The Cerny one above is a classic. Reporter spent the game in the pub, I think we can deduce. He also mentions the normally reliable Dougie Imrie missing a late chance. That'll be the guy who hasn't scored this season and has never scored more than six in a season.

So you thought the BBC only fucked up with Scottish lower league football?

Front page......'Former Arsenal right-back Lee Dixon'.

Do the people who write the beeb football stuff actually know about football!? :huh:

:lol:

Oh dear. Facepalm for you. Nigel Winterburn was the left back to Dixon's right back.

And likewise, as VT says, what's wrong with that?

Falkirk are undeniably first division minnows in comparison to Rangers, like it or not.

BBC can't make their mind up about Snograss

Wigan's James McArthur has been called up for Scotland's Euro 2012 double header against Liechtenstein and Spain after Robert Snodgrass withdrew with an ankle injury.

Later in the same article.....

Aston Villa right-back Alan Hutton has been receiving treatment for a knee injury, while Leeds winger Robert Snodgrass has an ankle problem, but both are expected to be fit.

That's the problem with the BBC. They've given up on writing new articles for every development, and instead edit the article as every new piece of information becomes available. Unfortunately sloppiness means they forget to delete references to the older news sometimes which can lead to contradictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hughie

Quote is from the article.

"Does anyone who supports Manchester United, Liverpool or Chelsea care that they're owned by people who come from faraway places?"

Well they do kind of, Shug. Man U fans started another team in protest at the ownership. Liverpool got rid of a foriegn owner, albeit they jumped straight in to bed with another.

Archived