The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much journalism I suppose, but I noticed on the BBC webpage following today's games that the League table was being updated live to reflect the latest scores. Well it was until the bigot brothers' games had finished then they froze it at the Rangers final whistle. Never mind that Hearts & Hibs were still playing eh?

During yesterday's games the one on the BBC Scottish Premier page wasn't being updated, but the one on the live text commentary page was. :huh:

Was off hiking the past week so picked up a Sunday Mail to read the Accies match report.

"At the other end, Gillespie played in James Chambers 15 yards out but his shot didn't trouble keeper Tomas Cerny."

Given he should have been at the other end of the bloody pitch from the shot, I'd have thought it obviious it wouldn't trouble him. Well done Andy McInnes.

Having watched the highlights linked in the match thread now, McLaughlin's sending off doesn't seem to bear any relation to the match report version also.

But to be fair to the journalist, it doesn't seem to bear any relation to a reasonable interpretation of the laws of the game either.

Being at the game, I can confirm that Chambers shot left Cerny totally untroubled. +1 to that journalist for accuracy, though minus several thousand for relevance

According to the BBC site, the Clyde goalkeeper at Annan on Saturday was Mental. Okay, his actual name is Mentel so it wasn't far away but the reporter should have realised that he was walking on eggshells with a name like that and got it right.

Jeff Holmes match report of Accies v Livingston game; "Moments later, former Accies hitman Derek Lyle had a great chance for Livi, when he was sent clear by Jacobs, but snatched at his shot and screwed it wide of Tomas Cerny's post. And the nine men made Lyle pay two minutes later". :lol: Fanny!

Photo caption also reads: 'Moff and running... Ayr's Moffat (right) is mobbed after his opener. Moffat isn't in the photo.

The Sunday Mail's attention to detail when it comes to pics appears to be non-existant. Have a look at the Dundee/Morton report. Craig McKeown appears to have transformed into Scott Robertson.

From today's Record...

"DEREK ADAMS almost cost Neil Lennon his job at Celtic when he knocked him out of the Scottish Cup.

Now the Ross County manager expects to meet a man on a revenge mission when the clubs clash again in the Scottish Communities League Cup.

It would be a permanent embarrassment if Adams repeated his achievement in the Highlands next month and the County gaffer admits he is weary of a Hoops backlash."

Aren't we all, Derek.

From today's Record...

Aren't we all, Derek.

That's the stuff. Not just ignorant about football, but ignorant generally. The winner will be the perfect storm of these factors.

I think Gav is still in line to win the 1st award as he's had a couple of howlers. He's not had much in so he might be on holiday. I had been hoping to catch him on the hotline to see if he still thinks Peterhead are in with a shout of the 2nd given their dodgy start in the 3rd.

I saw Richard Gordon in Sainsburys a few months back. Well I heard him first: ''No, I'll pack my own bags''. Quite strange!

There is nothing strange about this. I do the same most of the time. I bring my own bags with me to the supermarket and pack them a certain way, to make unpacking them easier when I get home. I can also fit two 12*can boxes of sparkling water into the one bag, which most people at the supermarket seem unable to do.

Without wanting to be horrible, bag-packing is, where I live (USA) often a job given to people with learning difficulties, and while these people are almost always very fast, very eager, and very pleasant, they very often don't do a good job of it, and end up half-filling my own bags, then giving me a whole ream of plastic bags with two items in each one, all of which I need to dispose of when I get home. For this reason I generally bag myself.

In conclusion: Richard Gordon - good guy.

There is nothing strange about this. I do the same most of the time. I bring my own bags with me to the supermarket and pack them a certain way, to make unpacking them easier when I get home. I can also fit two 12*can boxes of sparkling water into the one bag, which most people at the supermarket seem unable to do.

Without wanting to be horrible, bag-packing is, where I live (USA) often a job given to people with learning difficulties, and while these people are almost always very fast, very eager, and very pleasant, they very often don't do a good job of it, and end up half-filling my own bags, then giving me a whole ream of plastic bags with two items in each one, all of which I need to dispose of when I get home. For this reason I generally bag myself.

In conclusion: Richard Gordon - good guy.

Pity your dad didn't

Not this division I know but that Raman whatshisface on STV news was talking about Celtic's new signing and the comparisons with Henrik Larsson, saying that the new guy hopes to be as successful as the Dutchman was at Celtic Park... :rolleyes:

Scott McDermott

Scott of the Sunday Mail tells us about yesterdays "agonising defeat". 2-2 defeats are always the worst, aren't they Scott?

"The agonising defeat leaves Levein’s side with a mountain to climb if they are still to reach the European Championship finals next summer in Poland and Ukraine."

In yesterday's Mr Fixit, everyone's favourite part-time donkey turned columnist Gordon Parks has tipped Allan Russell to be first goalscorer for Livingston today. Don't all rush down to the bookies after him.

More great work from the BBC for today's game:

Iain Russell's late goal sent First Division Livingston into the last four of the Ramsdens Cup at the expense of Third Division Berwick.

Steven Scougall fired into the bottom corner in 12 minutes to give Livi the lead but Kevin McDonald scored from the edge of the area to level the tie.

Stuart Noble went close for the hosts before Russell headed wide for Livi.

And just as the tie was heading for extra-time Russell drilled the ball home from 12 yards for the winner.

Fair enough getting young Scougall's name wrong, as the Livi announcer has done so a couple of times now, but I never knew that the 6 yard box had been moved back a further 6 yards. :lol:

Archived