The Gavin Berry Awards for Shitty Football Journalism

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the BBC Lewis Kidd scored a free-kick against Livingston on Saturday. I wasn't there, but going by the video it looks very much like a shot from open play to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33832351

For last week's game against Alloa, the BBC website claimed that Lyle sent an effort over the bar from inside his own half. In reality, the shot came in from about 25 yards after the 'keeper had made a mess of a clearance.

For last week's game against Alloa, the BBC website claimed that Lyle sent an effort over the bar from inside his own half. In reality, the shot came in from about 25 yards after the 'keeper had made a mess of a clearance.

Even if they were 100% accurate, the token gesture paragraph from the BBC would be bordering pointless.

The fact they are generally complete fantasy makes the whole exercise a complete waste of time.

Noticed a few places running an interview with Billy Stark today saying he was the Morton manager for the last Renfrewshire derby in the league. He wasn't - it was Ian McCall and he got sent off for trying to fight Tom Hendrie.

Stephen Stirling responded from outside the box for Stuart McLaren's men, but there was no time for another chance.

An absolutely stunning strike from Stephen Stirling as he scored for Stranraer against Ayr while playing at Station Park for Stenhousemuir... Unfortunately for Brian Reid he was replaced half way through the game by Stuart McLaren. Two mistakes in one sentence - bravo BBC.

Today's report in the Sun by Roger Baillie on the Dumbarton v QoS match not once, but twice, refers to Queens veteran striker Derek Lilley. This is accompanied by a large picture of the correctly captioned Derek Lyle, taking up half the page.

Pretty inexcusable. Once can be a slip of the mind, twice is actually not knowing the name of the man who was the Championship's second highest scorer last season and already has 5 this season.

Today's report in the Sun by Roger Baillie on the Dumbarton v QoS match not once, but twice, refers to Queens veteran striker Derek Lilley. This is accompanied by a large picture of the correctly captioned Derek Lyle, taking up half the page.

Pretty inexcusable. Once can be a slip of the mind, twice is actually not knowing the name of the man who was the Championship's second highest scorer last season and already has 5 this season.

And for good measure he states that Robbie Thomson left ''the field with a head knock after just three minutes''. Theres also a picture below the very large one of Lyle/Lilley of apparently Alex Harris trying his luck - borrowed Del Lyles/Lilleys Number 9 shorts specially for the picture it would seem. Spelling Mark Millar wrongly is a mere blip in comparison.

Re the picture of Thomson and his cut - I never noticed the golf course in the background either - that I guess must be some advert on the fence and just the angle of picture shot?

And for good measure he states that Robbie Thomson left ''the field with a head knock after just three minutes''. Theres also a picture below the very large one of Lyle/Lilley of apparently Alex Harris trying his luck - borrowed Del Lyles/Lilleys Number 9 shorts specially for the picture it would seem. Spelling Mark Millar wrongly is a mere blip in comparison.

Re the picture of Thomson and his cut - I never noticed the golf course in the background either - that I guess must be some advert on the fence and just the angle of picture shot?

I obviously didn't look at this abortion of a report closely enough when I skimmed it this morning!

The Thomson golf course picture is a cracker. :lol: It must be an advert right enough but the angle makes it look like he's actually on it.

Roger Baillie is still going? Thought he was put out to pasture years ago.

Sunday Mail and Daily Record managed to have Iain Davidson down as the second goalscorer from Saturday, clearly neither noticed that Wighton flicked his header in...

I'm guessing this is to do with the original reporting of the goal. Jonathan Franks' goal against Kilmarnock was widely reported as Rocco Quinn; Rocco wasn't even involved in the goal, so I'm not sure where it came from, other than somebody somewhere just guessing a name.

From the Scotsman report of last nights match:

After taking in Luke Leahy’s pass with his back to goal, Sibbald was allowed to turn inside and the midfielder curled a stunning free-kick into the top corner of the net.

Archived