Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

indeed, between them over the course of only a few seasons they racked up a cup winners cup win, a super cup win, and european cup semi final and a uefa cup final...in 20 years of spending tens of millions ( In rfc case spending other peoples cash ) the of have failed to match that.

Between 1967 and 1972 the OF managed 4 finals (winning two), 2 semi-finals and 4 Quarter Finals.

That was a period when the difficulties of reaching a European Final was roughly similar to that of the 1980's.

Nowadays, when reaching a European Final is a whole different ball game to those times, I would say the two UEFA Cup finals reached by the OF in 2003 and 2008 was a fairly decent acheivement.

In the present circumstances it's highly ulikely any of our clubs will reach such a pinnacle again.

The 'New Firm' was a bit of a myth as it was generally Celtic and Aberdeen which shared the top two spots. United won a couple of league Cups and some great runs in Europe but apart from their title in 1983, they never really came close again prior to or after 1983.

Also, I dont think there was a co-efficent around then.

Wrong - Plenty of Co-efficients for ye!

We also finished 3rd in each of the 4 following seasons of winning the league, with Aberdeen 4th in a couple of them - indeed we finished level on points with Hearts in their infamous failure in 86!

Celtic did do well domestically, but not so in Europe.

I can admit to being slightly jealous of Aberdeen's success in winning a European trophy, but Dundee United had a phenomenal record in Europe throughout the 80s.

Aberdeen's success was due in part simply from winning those key matches that Dundee United sadly failed to do too often.

And to the Dee who claimed United's title success was due to Aberdeen fighting in Europe, I'll point that Dundee United played 8 games beating PSV Eindhoven, Viking Stavanger and Werder Bremen en route to the Quarter Final of the UEFA, Aberdeen played 9 games to win the Cup Winners Cup - I don't think that 1 extra game made too much difference, especially given they won both their league games either side of the final!

Edited by ArabFC

Bad guys in the last two James Bond films.

Given the government being involved and all the shady dealings, I can imagine Judi Dench on the phone telling the boys to get in there and sort it out

Dame Judi's ma came from Dublin...another papist trying to shut the big hoose then. Add her to the list.

Aye right. Look at all the silverware we won on the back of our cheating.

St. Mirren were relegated in 99/00 when you lot were cheating.

You are clearly on the wind up saying we're as bad as Rangers. We were badly mismanaged and then given the most severe penalty that had ever been dished out for going into admin by the SFL. 25 points plus a transfer ban was as good as relegation. If there was talk of us starting up a newco we would have been kicked to the Third Division at best.

As I've said in this thread earlier, its incredible how fans of all cheating clubs sound just like Rangers fans as they attempt to justify what their club did.

Between 1967 and 1972 the OF managed 4 finals (winning two), 2 semi-finals and 4 Quarter Finals.

That was a period when the difficulties of reaching a European Final was roughly similar to that of the 1980's.

Nowadays, when reaching a European Final is a whole different ball game to those times, I would say the two UEFA Cup finals reached by the OF in 2003 and 2008 was a fairly decent acheivement.

In the present circumstances it's highly ulikely any of our clubs will reach such a pinnacle again.

Disagree with that. Celtic should qualify for Champions League groups and should finish 3rd and get into Europa league knockouts and from there anything can happen depending on the draw. It doesn't look like Celtic will need to overextend themselves in the league next year so European progress will be the real litmus test for Lennon (that and the League Cup, obviously)

St. Mirren were relegated in 99/00 when you lot were cheating.

as paranoid and offensive as any currant.

As I've said in this thread earlier, its incredible how fans of all cheating clubs sound just like Rangers fans as they attempt to justify what their club did.

100% correct, see your last sentence.

Kilmarnock, Dundee & Dunfermline also reached European Semi Finals during that same period.

Kilmarnock, Dundee & Dunfermline also reached European Semi Finals during that same period.

I'm sure a trivia q when I was younger was name the 4 cities that have had 2 teams reach the European Cup semi's.

Madrid, Milan, Glasgow and Dundee.

Changed days when non-champions got in...

I agree, you certainly are.

Celtic's dispicable use of sectarianism makes them cheating scum as well.

Your title is tainted.

Fair doo's. Still preferable to being a Paisley junkies cock slot.

When :rolleyes: the OF die, who are you turn your incomprehensible bile on then?

1336822228[/url]' post='6227254']

Some more stats for no.8

St. Mirren's average home gate this season is 4,493.

Croatia, a country with a similar population to Scotland, has an average top flight attendance of 2,010 with the best supported club having an average of 3,875.

Hungary has a population twice that of Scotland yet their average top flight attendance is only 3,076.

Romania has a population which is four times greater than Scotland. Their average top flight attendance is 4,411.

Bulgaria has a population which is 50% greater than Scotland's. The average attendance in their top flight is a mere 1,627. Their best supported club has an average attendance of only 4,633.

I agree that the per capita figures are eye-opening and helpful to the debate, but I'd be cautious about using the above Eastern Bloc examples because their football is sadly a disaster. Croatia has a duopoly between Dinamo and Split that makes La Liga look balanced and competitive, Hungary has an almost unbelievably poisonous political overlay over the system and Romania has epic levels of corruption. All of them suffer from truly nasty hooligan elements that make the Aberdeen casuals in their heyday look like a Quaker meeting. All of them have whispers, and more than whispers, of match fixing on a systemic level.

The fact that per capita SPL attendance beats the Dutch and Serie A (where unlike some other bigger leagues there seem to be big gaps in the terraces so limited supply isn't the problem) is the key point for me.

Hawd on here a minute, this thread used to be about ripping the pish out of Rangers, D&P, Traynor, Young, Rangers fans and the Scottish media.

Nae need for the everyone else falling oot, Traynor and Young are getting to you. Divide and Conquer and all that.

Ok, 2 posts in this thread and I have a Reddy (opposite to Greeny?).

I'm purely trying to take a view from a 'potential money lost' perspective and the knock on effect. Seeing as how its become popular lately at almost half the SPL clubs to make this point.

It's nice to have some good responses and the apparent willingness of supporters to back the team without the OF putting money in the coffers.

I suspect I'm a little older than the average posters age on the forum, maybe thats the reason for my open scepticism. I really do believe they'll sidestep everything. Sorry.

I'll sit back for a while a lurk again, reserving the right to take the unpopular stance if needs be once more. Full speed page 1000.

Traytor 5 mins ago....Forget about Rangers..Diamonds are forever. We are still Airdrie (no you are not), we still play at Broomfield (no you dont) we still have the diamond shirt (no you dont)

What a phud!!!

Edited by Sting777