Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Insure your tits?

It was a (supposed) joke.  If you want to mitigate unusual losses (hull and aviation being the largest) then you go to the Lloyd's market for insurance.  If you want a loan on a Corsa then you go to Lloyds.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

It was a (supposed) joke.  If you want to mitigate unusual losses (hull and aviation being the largest) then you go to the Lloyd's market for insurance.  If you want a loan on a Corsa then you go to Lloyds.

This is an incredibly important point relevant to the discussion. When I read “Lloyd’s” (sic) I was utterly gobsmacked at the infamous tit insurers being erroneously brought into the discussion.

Thank God you are here or someone might have engaged with a substantive point with obvious meaning but an errant apostrophe.

6 minutes ago, The OP said:

This is an incredibly important point relevant to the discussion. When I read “Lloyd’s” (sic) I was utterly gobsmacked at the infamous tit insurers being erroneously brought into the discussion.

Thank God you are here or someone might have engaged with a substantive point with obvious meaning but an errant apostrophe.

Happy to be possessive about the apostrophe.

Apologies, that reference went totally over my head. With you now.

Gincardine on another mad one I see. Maybe we should have a support number on here for him. Stay strong big man.

It was absolutely brilliant when they died. Really fond memories. Unlike the memories of fans of the former Rangers, who know that all the success they celebrated meant nothing as it was built on financial doping and cheating.

The story this week is amazing as well. Not true in the slightest and has generated wonderful seethe. 

They borrowed from Ticketus to pay Lloyd’s...
So it would be 18m to Ticketus, about the same for Whyte not paying tax in his time, and then 20m for the tax bill that is being discussed again now...

You’ve missed the point I was meaning.

‘Football experts’ claimed that if the tax liability was lower then more people would have been willing to buy the club.

Now this might be true, we’ll never know, but it ignores that the club owed another £18m that lloyds (no apostrophe) wanted paid off to allow the club to be sold.

The reality is the only person who wanted rangers was whyte and his dodgy scheme inc the ticketus money.

11 hours ago, Ross. said:

Autocorrect on the phone old bean. I’ve spent the last 15 years working in finance and dealt with far too many entities answering to variations of that name, and should definitely have picked up on the mistake, but, alas, it slipped through.

I have plenty of posts on The Big Thread, more than I care to think about. The things we do when we should be working...

As for Clydebank, feel free to sign up to the trust and check my credentials. Not that I need to prove myself to anyone on that score.

Greenied.

PS f**k the Bankies 😉

Based on this Scottish Sun article https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4955264/rangers-hmrc-tax-case-ebt-expert/ I suspect the BDO June statement that the tax bill had reduced to £83M has now been superseded and is actually £24M lower than that, once Hector waives the £24M penalty.  Interest will also come down a bit. 

I'm guessing (I know, I know)  that the £83M is now closer to £50M.  Still enough to make them unsellable in 2011.

It can be argued that the club was actually more attractive to a prospective buyer in 2011 with the bigger figure than today's.  That's because back then, whether the big tax case debt existed at all was debatable.  It was still being contested, meaning the scale of it was only 'potential'.  Since then of course, the EBT use has been officially deemed to have created huge debt.   

A slightly smaller definite debt is surely therefore less palatable for anyone wanting in, that a bigger one that might have evaporated, and indeed seemed to with the first ruling.

Lots of noise about HMRC and Rangers. But this seems to be the nub of the story. Rangers seems to have persuaded HMRC its tax conduct wasn't sufficiently culpable to attract a penalty. But HMRC doesn't seem to accept it assessed Rangers to the wrong amount

EJVFssoXYAImjYV?format=jpg&name=900x900

Two angles to the story, and it's not HMRC on one side and the old Rangers on the other.

1. The Ibrox side cheated the tax to what some see as a disputed amount, not that it really matters.

2. They acted dishonestly regarding the registration of players, therefore over and above the organisation cheating the nation's fiscal fund, they separately swindled the Scottish football supporter. Even Bryson accepted that they had been improper in their dealings with the SFA.

28 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Two angles to the story, and it's not HMRC on one side and the old Rangers on the other.

1. The Ibrox side cheated the tax to what some see as a disputed amount, not that it really matters.

2. They acted dishonestly regarding the registration of players, therefore over and above the organisation cheating the nation's fiscal fund, they separately swindled the Scottish football supporter. Even Bryson accepted that they had been improper in their dealings with the SFA.

Cheating the tax as you put it, would be tax evasion and that would have seen people jailed. 

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

Cheating the tax as you put it, would be tax evasion and that would have seen people jailed. 

Tax avoidance and tax evasion are, to me, the same thing: cheating. Unfortunately, the law allows avenues for rich individuals and companies to avoid taxation which has the same result on the public purse as evasion. 

As an aside, everyone who evades tax isn't jailed.