whisky lovers

On 19/11/2020 at 10:01, bernardblack said:

Fairly new to whisky here.

Recently enjoyed a laphroig and a talisker 10...enjoyed the latter more.

Any recommendations from the esteemed group?

Budget is probably £30 tops

Bargain peaty , get yourself an Ardmore , 20 somthing quid I’m my local co op , 

13 hours ago, CountyFan said:

Its terrific. Caol ila apparently. 

I got one last week. I use the forum at scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk and when it was announced people were predicting that, as Caol Ila have a history of supplying supermarkets. But so do Bowmore, and most people having tasted it are guessing Bowmore, and I’d probably agree.

Fairly new to whisky here.

Recently enjoyed a laphroig and a talisker 10...enjoyed the latter more.

Any recommendations from the esteemed group?

Hopefully this should be handy for you as you'll evidently favour the ones along the top. That said, I used to be a solid smoky-peat lover but I've mellowed towards Speysides over time and don't enjoy my 16yo Lagavulin nearly as much as I used to.

IMG_0692.jpg

Its terrific. Caol ila apparently. 

I see the cask strength 16yo Caol Ila typically sells for upwards of £150, so although price doesn't necessarily correlate to quality, I can only imagine that even the watered down version is rather fine. Will probably buy on my next trip past Lidl, thanks.

Guest bernardblack
I see the cask strength 16yo Caol Ila typically sells for upwards of £150, so although price doesn't necessarily correlate to quality, I can only imagine that even the watered down version is rather fine. Will probably buy on my next trip past Lidl, thanks.

That’s a superb guide, cheers!

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I got one last week. I use the forum at scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk and when it was announced people were predicting that, as Caol Ila have a history of supplying supermarkets. But so do Bowmore, and most people having tasted it are guessing Bowmore, and I’d probably agree.

Whatever it is, I've got a glass of it just now (bought this afternoon) and I'm loving how silky smooth it is.  Lovely stuff.  :)

1 hour ago, virginton said:

BB&R's Speyside blend is on Amazon for just over £20 at the moment so I decided to add to the growing stockpile. 

Aye, I've ordered it and the Peated one. Got the Islay cask earlier in the week for £20 too.