whisky lovers

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I suspect it is related to a Moonshiners episode I recently saw that featured a peanut butter flavored concoction that won, if I recall correctly. They were properly surprised at the flavor working, but, IDK.

I mean, we both know Americans are very keen on putting peanut butter in places it has no business being. If you haven’t tried the Reese’s cereal, I wouldn’t. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I mean, we both know Americans are very keen on putting peanut butter in places it has no business being. If you haven’t tried the Reese’s cereal, I wouldn’t. 

Luckily, I just hate the flavor of peanut butter…no idea why, but I just hate it. You want something where it doesn’t belong, try a little thing called Tequila Rose.

image.jpeg.15b51abe45577c181ad1d7baecdecec4.jpeg

Tried the 1770 original today. Very pleasant, spicy number though as it's finished in virgin casks apparently. Quite bready and fruity. 

Overpriced for what it is, though. £50 a bottle, not for me. 

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

@GiGi's tale is a salutary one. I get feart to open a nicer bottle but really should. It's not that they're mega expensive, I just like seeing the full botlle. They're made to drink though rather than be ornaments. My Deanston 18 might be getting cracked this evening. Anyone know what I can expect? Adored the 12 so have high hopes.

Once it's open it's open. End of the day precious few whiskies are irreplaceable and not many will every be worth that much that they're worth holding on to for decades. 

Deanston 18 is excellent. If you love the 12 you'll not be disappointed.

My experience of whisky is pretty much limited to .... Teachers, Cutty Sark... long ago. and as a student .. a concoction called Clan Dew.

I mostly recall my throat burning as an aftertaste.

However, pre Christmas I was looking for ideas for presents for my sister and brother-in-law.  I'd had an idea for whisky marmalade,

but in searching around, online, found this...

https://www.cococaramel.co.uk/

They're chocolates with single malts inside.  I bought some for them, and a small pack for me.

They tasted great.

The result was that I quite fancy having a go at some single malt on it's own.

Would welcome a pointer towards something decent, not outrageously expensive, that a beginner would appreciate.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Once it's open it's open. End of the day precious few whiskies are irreplaceable and not many will every be worth that much that they're worth holding on to for decades. 

Deanston 18 is excellent. If you love the 12 you'll not be disappointed.

If your thing is drinking and enjoying a nice whisky then you, just take your time over said bottle, but part of the fun thereafter is trying and invariably finding bottles that are affordable and also taste great. They are out there although getting rarer unfortunately, but it should be about the drinking for me. Just open a precious bottle at a fitting time and it will punctuate the occasion AND the bottle into something really memorable

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

My experience of whisky is pretty much limited to .... Teachers, Cutty Sark... long ago. and as a student .. a concoction called Clan Dew.

However, pre Christmas I was looking for ideas for presents for my sister and brother-in-law.  I'd had an idea for whisky marmalade,

They're chocolates with single malts inside.  I bought some for them, and a small pack for me.

They tasted great.

Would welcome a pointer towards something decent, not outrageously expensive, that a beginner would appreciate.

If you can get past the name, then Bunnahabhain 12 years old or Edradour 10 years old would be my tips. Good value and flavorful without any divisive points like high peatiness.

Once you have a couple then going to The Pot Still or a similar whisky bar to branch out from that is recommended. 

For me beginner wise, you can't go wrong with anything from Aberlour, Balvenie, Deanston, Glenfarclas. 

There's "easier" to drink drams out there. Things like Dalwhinnie sort of market themselves on it. 

A step up from those for me and favourites of mine would maybe be likes of Balblair, Clynelish, and for a non peaty but slightly more challenging flavour I like Bruichladdich....

20 hours ago, beefybake said:

They tasted great.

Bargain basement option would be Glen Moray, which is almost always on sale in supermarkets for £20-22 or so.  It's a perfectly decent Speyside (light, heathery, no peat). For a bit more, you can usually get a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich - both slightly more complex Speysides.  I agree with the above tips of Bunnahabhain (Islay but not peaty) and Dalwhinnie (highland, quite a sweet dram) which will usually set you back around £30.  Old Pulteney from Wick is another great option as it's on sale just now online and in shops for mid-£20s.  It's quite complex and sea-sidey with a hint of salt (much better than I have just made it sound).

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

Watched a recent program that showed the Lindores Abbey Distillery, made me wonder how their single malt is, since it’s not available round here.

I've got their inaugural bottle on the shelf and its about 1/3 down. Its unlikely to be reached for too soon in truth. 

They're dressing it up with STR casks etc so in all honesty who knows what the spirits like! 

They had a spirit drink out in advance of turning 3yo which was a decent mixer. 

Economic necessity means new distilleries getting stuff out at 3 years old.

In the old days the bulk of the heavy lifting would be done by supplying whisky to blend and then you could put out some more when ready but single malt is where its at now.

The only new one I really thought was brilliant from day one was Ardnamurchan.

I note Harris are resisting the urge to punt out 3 yo spirit which they can afford to do given the popularity of their gin. Maybe it's truly awful or maybe they are going to launch it with something really special but I remember being excited by their new make spirit so hopefully the latter. 

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Economic necessity means new distilleries getting stuff out at 3 years old.

In the old days the bulk of the heavy lifting would be done by supplying whisky to blend and then you could put out some more when ready but single malt is where its at now.

The only new one I really thought was brilliant from day one was Ardnamurchan.

I note Harris are resisting the urge to punt out 3 yo spirit which they can afford to do given the popularity of their gin. Maybe it's truly awful or maybe they are going to launch it with something really special but I remember being excited by their new make spirit so hopefully the latter. 

Torabhaig gets the thumbs up from me at 3yo, really excited what that distillery will be putting out at 10yo+

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jan/25/scotland-whisky-industry-bust-boom-exciting-new-distilleries

"There is, perhaps, no greater symbol of whisky’s bounce-back than Johnnie Walker Princes Street – not a distillery but an “experience” housed across eight floors of a magnificent art deco building on Scotland’s main shopping street. In 2018, Diageo – scotch’s biggest player – invested a whopping £185m in its whisky distilleries, which will number 30 when Port Ellen on Islay reopens later this year. The vast majority was poured into this building which, since opening in September 2021, has welcomed 350,000 people from 112 countries through its doors. On the “immersive journey of flavour” tour I join, my group includes tourists from China, Japan, the Netherlands, Canada and Singapore."