whisky lovers

Morning all, after a wee bit of guidance or advice if possible and thought there was no better place to come. Have never really had a taste for whiskey however that changed over the summer when I had a couple of drams of Talisker with the old man over the summer. On the Scotland supporters bus on the way to Norway the other night, a couple of hipflasks were passed around, couple I like, others no so, so I'm now intrigued to go out and discover more.

So, if possible, just looking for a bit of advice on the best way to discover what you like? Is it a case of, over time, just trying what you see in pubs?? Or buying miniatures from distillers and going through them. I'm guessing so, but thought I would ask the question to see what came up.

16 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Morning all, after a wee bit of guidance or advice if possible and thought there was no better place to come. Have never really had a taste for whiskey however that changed over the summer when I had a couple of drams of Talisker with the old man over the summer. On the Scotland supporters bus on the way to Norway the other night, a couple of hipflasks were passed around, couple I like, others no so, so I'm now intrigued to go out and discover more.

So, if possible, just looking for a bit of advice on the best way to discover what you like? Is it a case of, over time, just trying what you see in pubs?? Or buying miniatures from distillers and going through them. I'm guessing so, but thought I would ask the question to see what came up.

What you like will change over time.  The more you try, the more your taste buds change and what you previously enjoyed might not taste so good. Like wine, or olives, you have to teach yourself to like it.  

Now, Talisker 10 is very much towards the peaty end of the scale so you’ve kind of jumped in with both feet there.   My advice would to go with a super smooth table whisky like Glenmorangie 10, which is pretty much bang down the middle.  From there, go either in the sweeter or peatier direction and that’ll give you a ballpark for where your tastes are.  

Another piece of advice would be to visit a distillery - any one will do - and take a tasting tour.  

Finally, largely abstain from buying whisky in pubs.  

Miniatures are a reasonable way to start off, that's what I did. You obviously  don't get the same extensive range available with the minutures, but it's a decent way to get started. I was also advised to try and avoid the peaty Islay malts at the start, which I did. 

I am still figuring it all out. it's trial and error and, sometimes, it just makes no sense. For example, I got a bottle of Glenlivet Founders Reserve, a fairly inexpensive NAS whisky, and quite enjoyed it. I therefore thought their 15 would be a good purchase - I found it bland and, if I'm honest, continued to drink it for the sake of it, hoping that I'd end up enjoying it. I didn't.  

Edited by Michael W

24 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Like any food or drink we all like different things, take any opportunities to try different ones whether pubs, samples or purchases etc.

My palette is rubbish and I go for strong flavours, but I started mild, however my preference is higher proof/cask American now.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 22.04.52.png

When you say cask American, do you mean you prefer bourbon whiskey over single malt Scotch or Scotch finish in American barrels?

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

When you say cask American, do you mean you prefer bourbon whiskey over single malt Scotch or Scotch finish in American barrels?

I do prefer bourbons.

I still enjoy our malts, however I generally prefer a cask strength bourbon, Elijah Craigs and Buffalo Trace Staggs.

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

1 minute ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I do prefer bourbons.

I still enjoy our malts, however I generally prefer a cask strength bourbon, Elijah Craigs and Buffalo Trace Staggs.

I used to be the same and to an extent still am. I'm trying to get more into the Scotch by trying the smokier drams as it is undeniably more complex and interesting. Bourbons are vanilla, caramel, brown sugar and not a lot else. 

Having said that, still maintain the Wild Turkey 101 is the best pound for pound whiskey you can buy and the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is a thing of beauty.

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

I used to be the same and to an extent still am. I'm trying to get more into the Scotch by trying the smokier drams as it is undeniably more complex and interesting. Bourbons are vanilla, caramel, brown sugar and not a lot else. 

Having said that, still maintain the Wild Turkey 101 is the best pound for pound whiskey you can buy and the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is a thing of beauty.

I guess I prefer corn to malted barley, totally agree 101/Rare Breed are my go to.

On a mission to get a George T Stagg 2022 after a recent tasting, incredible stuff.

On 21/11/2023 at 09:25, BB_Bino said:

A "flight" in a pub that showcases different types is good. Allows you to smell the differences between the types which I think is a big part of it.

Honestly, the more whisky I try, feel like the less I know what's going on in terms of what I enjoy! Which is sortof frustrating but is also part of the charm I reckon.

Big thing for me in terms of what I generally like are the casks used (i.e. port, sherry compared to ex-bourbon for example). I think focusing on that a bit more when I first started drinking whisky is the thing I'd have done differently.

But each to their own.

8 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I absolutely loved the Springbank tour.

The fact that everything is "in house" was part of the appeal in addition to the obvious of them doing good juice.

Glen Scotia here too but need to see if they're doing tours. Will need to be tactical with things if I'm doing three 😄

45 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Tried this Arran at the Pot Still recently. I’m daft for a PX finish, so this was right up my street. A bit spicy at the start but that quickly disappeared and had a finish that felt like it was hanging around for an hour after it. 
IMG_5037.thumb.jpeg.8beec02d889849b74ab5d3fd9fa9d5aa.jpeg

Not been there for years.

Knew it had ludicrous selection but my malt knowledge was still a bit rudimentary when I was last there.

Bon Accord also tremendous for the enthusiast.