whisky lovers

I've been off it for a while. Dry Jan and dry Feb. 10 weeks off the drink. Had a drink on Monday to watch Hearts v Morton and been having one since. 

Having a few drams now. Started with a Tomintoul 10 from SMWS. Lovely, opened up last year but never thought much of it but now a couldn't put it down for a while but I moved on and opened a Balblair 11 from Cadenhead's. A sherry cask. Too sweet! Hoping it is just because it is the first drink from the bottle. Just tastes like sherry.

Going to finish off on a Balcones Rye. I love this stuff. It's like a glass of chocolate but at 69%. 

I got a couple of auction bargains last month. 

A 1Litre Ardbeg Smoketrails (Manzanilla) and a Longrow Peated. Both class and I'd struggle to pick a favourite. 

Thankfully there seems to be no end of idiots selling Longrow at a £20 loss so I'll be picking up a bottle every other month or so. 

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

I got a couple of auction bargains last month. 

A 1Litre Ardbeg Smoketrails (Manzanilla) and a Longrow Peated. Both class and I'd struggle to pick a favourite. 

Thankfully there seems to be no end of idiots selling Longrow at a £20 loss so I'll be picking up a bottle every other month or so. 

In SWA?

Mackinlay's 5 Year Old Scotch Whisky 1 Litre 1980s. Bought this last year and just opened it up.

It's from Leith and was produced for the Soviet Passenger Fleet Morpasflot.  I live down about Leith and I liked the story so I bought it.

It is a bit rough on the back of the throat but the taste is lovely. It's worth a try if you are searching for a bargain at the auctions. 

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2024 at 18:05, virginton said:

The Pot Still were doing 'Lochlea' as Malt of the Month at the moment - a farm distillery in Ayrshire. For a very young distillery their core whisky was quite enjoyable and I think they're doing a tasting event this evening too. 

Buildings on the site of the mine my paternal Grandfather worked in, i'd like to think a shit on a shovel somehow made it's way into the spriit

26 minutes ago, Scosha said:

IMG_6775.thumb.jpeg.0195c955fc715840857543c8d73b41df.jpeg

£45 including postage from Master of Malt. A proper sherry bomb and excellent value for money - seen a few comments about it being a Craigellachie but who knows. 

Ordered on your say-so, with a Templeton Rye into the bargain since iv been looking to sample a rye for ages and never got round to it. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Ordered on your say-so, with a Templeton Rye into the bargain since iv been looking to sample a rye for ages and never got round to it. 

Coincidentally I just finished my bottle of Bulleit Rye tonight along with a Wild Turkey 101 and a Tomatin 14 Port Cask. There was only a dram left in each and as I'm moving soon I can't take my collection with me.

A rye whisky is a pleasurable experience although have always meant to try Templeton since it seeing it mentioned in Harry Bosch books but never got round to it. I'll look forward to a review please.

22 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Coincidentally I just finished my bottle of Bulleit Rye tonight along with a Wild Turkey 101 and a Tomatin 14 Port Cask. There was only a dram left in each and as I'm moving soon I can't take my collection with me.

A rye whisky is a pleasurable experience although have always meant to try Templeton since it seeing it mentioned in Harry Bosch books but never got round to it. I'll look forward to a review please.

If it’s the 4YO Templeton I’d take Bulleit Rye over it; too sweet for me. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

If it’s the 4YO Templeton I’d take Bulleit Rye over it; too sweet for me. 

6 year old Templeton is what I ordered. Was only 21 quid. If i'm being honest, I just pretty much picked the first Rye I seen and threw it in there since I was ordering and paying delivery anyway 

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

6 year old Templeton is what I ordered. Was only 21 quid. If i'm being honest, I just pretty much picked the first Rye I seen and threw it in there since I was ordering and paying delivery anyway 

Oh that's fine; I thought it'd have been more expensive than that in the UK. Even the 4YO wouldn't owe you anything at 20 quid TBF. 

Picked up this in my local Co-op for £16 and pence. Blended malt from Arran, Islay and Orkney bottled at 46.8% and non-chill filtered. Not tried it yet but might grab another at that price. Not sure if its country wide deal or just reduced to clear at my local store.

unnamed.jpg

34 minutes ago, McGlovin' said:

Picked up this in my local Co-op for £16 and pence. Blended malt from Arran, Islay and Orkney bottled at 46.8% and non-chill filtered. Not tried it yet but might grab another at that price. Not sure if its country wide deal or just reduced to clear at my local store.

unnamed.jpg

That is a sensational deal. Very good stuff that. I've had other Rock Island (formerly Rock Oyster) variations and they've all been great.

9 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That is a sensational deal. Very good stuff that. I've had other Rock Island (formerly Rock Oyster) variations and they've all been great.

They had about 12 of them left. Probably should have picked up a couple of bottles at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

First visit to the Pot Still tonight. 

First Glenfarclas. Went with a Glenfarclas 105 cask strength. Which confirms I still have working taste buds. A beautiful whisky, explosive on the first taste and then it has a long succession of wonderful flavours. I’d risk sounding like Willie Wonka if I started rhyming them off.

Really love this pub. Lovely atmosphere. The staff know their stuff.

Due to other commitments, this visit was brief, but I’m sure I’ll be back. 

IMG_1194.jpeg