whisky lovers

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

It must be a pain in the arse for them tbh. They're not set up to do all their business online and taking flak off wee losers on twitter because they didn't get some limited edition bottle.

People are too used to ticketmaster style websites where your basket is some guarantee you've secured it.

I managed to get one too, you must have been fast like

Funnily enough I forgot about it, just came out a meeting and logged in and tried it.

Whereas the Daftmill I sat for ages trying to get that one.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Does anyone have experience of scotchwhiskyauctions.com? Just discovered it tonight there and wondering if there are any pitfalls to look out for?

I've won whisky off it once, tried it three times.

All the bidding comes in at the end, you'll be lucky to find a bargain but you can.

It can be quite fun trying to guzump folk but more often than not it'll happen to you.

Don't forget that you are paying for delivery. 

6 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I've won whisky off it once, tried it three times.

All the bidding comes in at the end, you'll be lucky to find a bargain but you can.

It can be quite fun trying to guzump folk but more often than not it'll happen to you.

Don't forget that you are paying for delivery. 

That's what I was thinking would be the case. I've bid on a few bourbons but not expecting to snag any. The current auction ends on Sunday so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the info. 👍

Does anyone have experience of scotchwhiskyauctions.com? Just discovered it tonight there and wondering if there are any pitfalls to look out for?
Auction sites are fun but be careful as a first time bidder.

A winning bid of say £60

Buyer fee (10%) = £6
Delivery (1 bottle) = £10.50

Total = £76.50

Delivery tends to be roughly £5 per additional bottle so multiple wins doesnt make delivery cheaper.

You'll notice bottles that are easily available elsewhere tend to be much cheaper, people have already factored the add on costs into their bids.

The main attraction for me is bottles that are long gone popping up with little interest. That Carn Mor 10yo pulteney for example.

Ps. Almost all the (serious) bidding happens Sunday PM

7 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Auction sites are fun but be careful as a first time bidder.

A winning bid of say £60

Buyer fee (10%) = £6
Delivery (1 bottle) = £10.50

Total = £76.50

Delivery tends to be roughly £5 per additional bottle so multiple wins doesnt make delivery cheaper.

You'll notice bottles that are easily available elsewhere tend to be much cheaper, people have already factored the add on costs into their bids.

The main attraction for me is bottles that are long gone popping up with little interest. That Carn Mor 10yo pulteney for example.

Ps. Almost all the (serious) bidding happens Sunday PM

Thanks. I got an email this morning with some bids outdone already. My cynical side feels that it could be the sellers pushing the price up. Is that unfair of me?

Thanks. I got an email this morning with some bids outdone already. My cynical side feels that it could be the sellers pushing the price up. Is that unfair of me?
I think there is an opportunity to collude and push up prices, but can't imagine it happens on sub £100 bottles

On 05/02/2021 at 18:53, V.Aye.R said:

I'm on that bottle currently, really enjoyable emoji1634.png

Well the first few sips were outrageously briney - like gargling salt water for a sore throat - but after a few drops of water and a bit of time it provided a much more enjoyable all-round flavour. I have no memory of it being *that* salty from previous tasting but some reviews suggests it becomes less so after opening and working down the bottle a bit. It's certainly not a bland or one-note bottle.

The stopper also managed to separate itself from the cork prior to opening. Luckily the dodgy-looking cork stood up to the corkscrew and could be replaced in the bottle, but an incentive to work through the bottle a bit more quickly. 

Well the first few sips were outrageously briney - like gargling salt water for a sore throat - but after a few drops of water and a bit of time it provided a much more enjoyable all-round flavour. I have no memory of it being *that* salty from previous tasting but some reviews suggests it becomes less so after opening and working down the bottle a bit. It's certainly not a bland or one-note bottle.
The stopper also managed to separate itself from the cork prior to opening. Luckily the dodgy-looking cork stood up to the corkscrew and could be replaced in the bottle, but an incentive to work through the bottle a bit more quickly. 

I agree 100%

Especially on the Cork, mine is slowly crumbling and leaving some residue inside the neck.

Wish they'd just use the plastic type.

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

... aaaaand the seal is off (my company for the Superbowl)

Screenshot_20210207-232114.thumb.png.b59dfc8d786448a5f95403ff3129be23.png

Nice, whilst there is quite a few cask strength sherry bombs right now this is still the kiddy although price seems fo be going up and up.

Drinking smoke head high voltage for it myself.