What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Special Correspondents

Actually enjoyed it. Had a good few laughs throughout and thought all the actors put in good performances. Gervais and Bana built up a good chemistry I thought and it was strange seeing the lovely Vera Farmiga playing a right bitch.

I feel a bit sorry for Gervais at times. It's unlikely he'll ever make anything as good as The Office but I think folk always expect more from him as a result of its genius. So it's always extremely easy to have a pop at his latest works.

To me it was very lighthearted and I got a few giggles from it. That's all I really ask from a comedy.

6/10

Special Correspondents

Actually enjoyed it. Had a good few laughs throughout and thought all the actors put in good performances. Gervais and Bana built up a good chemistry I thought and it was strange seeing the lovely Vera Farmiga playing a right bitch.

I feel a bit sorry for Gervais at times. It's unlikely he'll ever make anything as good as The Office but I think folk always expect more from him as a result of its genius. So it's always extremely easy to have a pop at his latest works.

To me it was very lighthearted and I got a few giggles from it. That's all I really ask from a comedy.

6/10

I thought it was ok but I don't think Gervais helps himself by making every one of his characters downtrodden/weak which I'm not sure is his strength.

He probably excels at being snarky/cruel so it would be nice to see him take on a role like that.

Absolutely Anything 3/10

Simon Pegg, (playing Simon Pegg), is bestowed with the power to do absolutely anything by some passing aliens as a test of humanities worthiness. What does Pegg do with this power? He makes a dog talk and turns his friend into a sausage. Comedy genius.

Avoid at all costs.

The Jungle Book, (2016), 7/10

The CGI is excellent in this and the film stays perfectly true to the book whilst throwing the occasional nod to the cartoon. There is a terrific ensemble of actors voicing the characters but the standout for me had to be Christopher Walken as The King of the Swingers himself. (there was even time for a little Apocalypse Now Brando reference in his scene which made me chuckle).

Edited for spelling.

Edited by killienick

The Jungle Book, (2016), 7/10

The CGI is excellent in this and the film stays perfectly true to the book whilst throwing the occasional nod to the cartoon. There is a terrific ensemble of actors voicing the characters but the standout for me had to be Christopher Walken as The King of the Swingers himself. (there was even time for a little Apocalypse Now Brando reference in his scene which made me chuckle).

Edited for spelling.

Great movie, but I didn't like Walken as King Louie I would've preferred Samuel L Jackson. And Shere Khan with Leslie Philips voice than Idris Elbas.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Torn Curtain (1966)

This is a Cold War thriller from Hitchcock which doesn't get great reviews but I thought it was pretty good. Paul Newman is ok as a scientist who decides to defect to East Germany. His fiancee is Julie Andrews and she is surprisingly good in the role looking confused at Newman's actions so decides to follow him to Berlin, not realising that he is a double agent trying to get a scientific formula.

There is a lot of suspense and a great scene when Newman, with the help of a farmer's wife, has to kill the Stasi agent Gromek. It's a nod to the shower scene in Psycho but unlike that there's no music and instead of lasting seconds it goes on for a few minutes as they have to use various implements, including a kitchen knife, to dispose of Gromek. There's also a nod to The Man Who Knew Too Much when Newman and Andrews are in a theatre waiting on the right moment to make their escape. The lengthy bus scene is also good and gives Hitchcock the chance to inject some humour and added suspense.

It's just a pity that Herrmann was ditched by Hitchcock as his soundtrack would have fitted in better.

I would give the film a solid 7 but because of the Gromek murder scene I'll give it an extra half point.

7.5/10

Kung Fu Panda 3 - 7/10. Absolutely love everything about these movies apart from the voice acting from essentially the main cast. Jolie, Hoffman, Rogen, Cross, Lui & Chan were pretty decent in the first film but for the last 2 films its been bordering on atrocious. The rest of the voice acting is fine but these lot are letting the side down in these films.

London has fallen 4/10

Hadn't seen olympus has fallen. 

Gerard Butler plays a yank bodyguard of the president. (shocking accent) They've to go to london to attend a state funeral for the Prime minister. Chaos ensues.

Any explosions were shown from miles in the air and looked cheap and nasty. There was like no real hints as to who was the insider. 

Basically just a shoot em up for an hour and a half.

Have you seen the original Jungle Book?

More to the point, have you heard the voice of the original Shere Khan?  :P

Yes and yes.

I was meaning that the gravelly Carry On style campness that Leslie Phillips would have brought to the role would have been slightly jarring and juxtaposed with a big scary tiger. (Like the dog with the faulty voice box from Up).

Yes and yes.

I was meaning that the gravelly Carry On style campness that Leslie Phillips would have brought to the role would have been slightly jarring and juxtaposed with a big scary tiger. (Like the dog with the faulty voice box from Up).

I'm a big fan of the old Jungle Book and seeing as it played a lot like the original, George Sanders Shere Khan was perfect. Old Leslie's voice was as close to what I remember watching in awe the original cartoon when I was a kid. Opinions, opinions etc, but at least it gave you the excuse to shove juxtaposed in a post..

Does anyone know what the difference between this year's Jungle Book and the one coming out next year with Benedict Cumberbatch?

I had thought the 2017 version would be more faithful to the book whilst this year's was nearer the cartoon.

I'm a big fan of the old Jungle Book and seeing as it played a lot like the original, George Sanders Shere Khan was perfect. Old Leslie's voice was as close to what I remember watching in awe the original cartoon when I was a kid. Opinions, opinions etc, but at least it gave you the excuse to shove juxtaposed in a post..

When I think of Leslie Phillips, I can only hear the Iams cat.  As you say, opinions :) .

Does anyone know what the difference between this year's Jungle Book and the one coming out next year with Benedict Cumberbatch?

I had thought the 2017 version would be more faithful to the book whilst this year's was nearer the cartoon.

The cast looks brilliant for the next one. Not much has been released that I've seen except a release date and who's in it. Directed by Andy Serkis which should be interesting. I hope that they steer away from the book/cartoon as it would just feel like a remake.

Now Cumberbatch is a great choice for Shere Khan.

The other ones been pushed back to 2018 now

Hail Caesar!

Clever, but a little too clever for my liking. Josh Brolin was fantastic, but I didn't really enjoy the "film within a film" set pieces. 6/10

Dirty Grandpa

Any film with Aubrey Plaza deserves to be watched at least once. For that reason, this film gets one point, but that's it. 1/10

Victoria 8/10

Great film

Eye In The Sky 4/10

Bit rubbish

Captain America 3 8/10

Great film, lots of fun. What could have been a mess of too many characters actually worked really well. Some of the most memorable moments were, thankfully, excluded from the trailers which is a breath of fresh air. Recommended to any fans of the Marvel films, up there with their best.

Cruising 6/10

Al Pacino goes undercover in the 1970s NY leather-bondage gay scene to catch a serial killer. Basically a giallo for the Village People generation. Some excellent scenes but badly paced

Scorpio Rising 7/10

Kenneth Anger experimental film from 1964. Interesting fairly bitter edits with incredible soundtrack