What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Age Of Uprising : The Legend Of Michael Kohlhaas

Really enjoyed this film set in 16th century France. Big Mads Mikkelsen is superb throughout as the horse dealer unjustly treated by a corrupt Baron. There's not a lot of dialogue but the story is told visually to great effect as Kohlhaas raises a small army seeking revenge and justice. Eventually he wins his battle for justice but has a high price to pay in an unforgettable closing scene.

7.5/10

Ip Man 3 on Netflix. Pretty decent apart from a bizarre role for Mike Tyson.

Ip man rings a bell - is this a martial arts film?

If so then I'm going to watch it as the first one was a great film.

By the time you've answered this I'll already have checked on Google.

The Secret Life of Pets

I'm a big fan of animated comedies and in recent time we've been spoiled. This for me didn't really do it and was a massive let down. I know it's a common hook but literally all the funny bits were in the trailer.

5/10

Finding Dory

Finding Nemo is one of the funniest animations in recent times so I was looking forward to this with some caution. Pixar nailed it though IMO. Obviously not as funny as Finding Nemo but it was a good film with the right blend of comedy and emotion. The rock pool scene had me in stitches.

7.5/10

If animated comedy was given exclusively to Disney Pixar I would have no issues. They really do nail the genre.

The Dark Crystal 6.5/10

Green Room 6/10

Disappointed with this, was expecting better after some props from certain quarters

Water Lilies 7/10

Very good coming of age drama, subtle and believable 

Edited by Christophe

The Titfield Thunderbolt 7.5/10

Funny Ealing film about a small village trying to rescue their local branch line against the malicious intent of a local bus company. 

Thor 4/10

Passably diverting superhero stuff, but a tiny bit shit really

Ghostbusters 7/10

Enormously enjoyable. Stupid and a bit weird in places but then so was the original. Speaking as a feminist I think it's great that they basically recreated the original film with gender reversal. Thor stole the show though, as a total moron who got almost all of the best lines. All the ladies were very funny, especially Kate McKinnon as the female Egon. In fact Egon was the only main cast member not to get a cameo (for obvious reasons) but they could have CG'd him as a ghost! Maybe they did and I missed it. Even Rick Moranis was portrayed in a bust statue if you look closely.

The story was a bit meh (but then, it was literally no different to the original in that respect) and I imagine some scenes would have been great in 3D) and Kristen Wiig is still uttlery perfect in every respect, I have never been in love with an actress so much since Sherylin Fenn. The female Egon was very hot too. But not as hot as Chris Hemsworth who must have had SO MUCH FUN making this - the end credits are fantastic thanks to him.

Star Trek Beyond - 7.5

Back from triple header so was bit tired when watching the latest film. It perhaps started off a bit slow compared to other films but did feel a bit more like watching a series. The chemistry between characters particularly Spock and bones seem to be more reflective of original series. Spock still seems to show a bit much emotion too often though  I suppose life events have made him a different person. This film doesn't get to caught up in the money shot action sequences. Seemed a more back to roots sort of film and more in tune with Roddenbery's vision. Would recommend it to fellow star trek fans and probably enough to get those that didn't like JJ Abrams interpretation back on side. It was not fast paced really though the ending didn't drag too long either. A bit more skill and wit to resolve problems rather than muscle or flukeyness like the last 2. 

2009 movie holds up well though Into Darkness while a decent enough action film just doesn't really feel like Star Trek the more I see it. 

Ghostbusters - 5/10. Went to see this out of curiosity as to how bad a film could be, but it was much better than the trailers made it look. Still not a classic, but overall the film is quite funny, and the cameos are decent. Somewhat ironically, the best performance in the film was by a man - whatever Hemsworth brother it was. Thought he was hilarious. Melissa McCarthy is still a horrible c**t though.

Edited by GrahamJags

Neon Demon

Very stylish, beautiful to watch, excellent soundtrack. Follows a young aspiring model into the world of Los Angeles fashion.

I like watching Windingg Refn's films but sometimes I get the feeling that he has an idea for a film, shoots it amazingly but the story, the script and the characters are left a little wanting. Drive had much more of a heart to it, maybe because it was an adaptation of a novel whereas this and Only God Forgives didn't have the same connection.

There are a number of surreal and shocking turns at the end, which I thought were interesting but slightly forced.

Overall I'm glad I went to see it but given what a talented film maker he clearly is, I think Winding Refn's next film is important for him - he needs to make a full package rather than display what a good director he is.

The BFG

Did nothing for me. Really safe, dated and plodding. Cut the running time in half and it would be a good BBC Christmas special (like The Gruffalo). Just not enough in the story to make a film out of it. 

3/10

Grimsby

I laughed a few times at how ludicrous it was. The tea bagging scene and the Elephant one in particular. Mark Strong must have been paid a fortune to take this on.

The story is utter shite and Sasha Baren Cohen needs to move out of his comfort zone as he's turned into the British Adam Sandler.

2/10

The Secret Life of Pets

Good family fun. Has the kids engrossed and hearing their frequent laughing and giggling adds to the enjoyment of this movie, with a few good laughs for the grown ups too.

8/10.

I think this was definitely more for the kids this time. My nephew really enjoyed it and was engrossed. I had a couple of laughs and as I said earlier it was at the bits shown in the trailer. This was in stark contrast to Inside Out where I laughed far more than him and he zoned out.

1 hour ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The story is utter shite and Sasha Baren Cohen needs to move out of his comfort zone as he's turned into the British Adam Sandler.

Worst of it is, Cohen, like Sandler, is actually a fucking good actor.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worst of it is, Cohen, like Sandler, is actually a fucking good actor.

I agree with that, I was impressed with Cohen in Les Miserables and Sandler in Funny People and that 9/11 one I've forgotten the name of. 

The problem is, they revert to shite immediately afterwards.