What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Ex Machina.

Stunning visuals, it was filmed in a hotel in Norway I believe.  The Ava character looked believable as a half human/half robot.  The acting was decent as well, particularly from Oscar Issac who played the protagonist Nathan Bateman.

The story itself was ok as well.  I though it was going to focus on the main character as some kind of Mark Zuckerberg type figure but was pleasantly surprised to see it was about Bateman's Ava creation and how she acted exactly like a human.

I'd say 8/10.

9 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ex Machina.

Stunning visuals, it was filmed in a hotel in Norway I believe.  The Ava character looked believable as a half human/half robot.  The acting was decent as well, particularly from Oscar Issac who played the protagonist Nathan Bateman.

The story itself was ok as well.  I though it was going to focus on the main character as some kind of Mark Zuckerberg type figure but was pleasantly surprised to see it was about Bateman's Ava creation and how she acted exactly like a human.

I'd say 8/10.

I thought ex_machina was excellent, probably my pick of the bunch for 2015. Interesting that you thought Bateman was the main character and protagonist. I always saw it as Caleb's story, and how as AI became more and more sophisticated, the difference between when robot ends and human starts becomes more vague, to the point that he no longer trusts himself and cuts his arm to prove he's not the AI that Bateman is so proud of, how quickly he sides against his species. Now you've got me thinking about it, I guess there is a Frankenstein kind of story between Bateman and Ava. I'll need to watch it again.

Mean Streets (1973)

De Niro's first collaboration with Scorsese

it doesn't end well, Scorsese (in his customary cameo) shoots DeN in the neck)

Features a young David Proval (Snooze from the Shawshank Redemption and Richie Aprile from The Sopranos).

Excellent New York movie with great acting from Harvey Keitel and the above mentioned.

3 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Prevenge

An exclusive to that Shudder streaming service, about a woman who's pregnant and her unborn child is telling her to murder people. It's a fucking outstanding horror comedy.

9/10

94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I watched this is 40 early this week which was kind of a sequel to knocked up. Both the child actresses were very good. It was a mixture of reality that life can be tough and nipples without too much laughter. 5/10

I watched son of Rambo tonight. I wish they had let on exactly what the wee boys condition was. It was a decent watch and their film at the end was pretty funny. 7/10

23 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Mean Streets (1973)

De Niro's first collaboration with Scorsese

Hide contents

it doesn't end well, Scorsese (in his customary cameo) shoots DeN in the neck)

Features a young David Proval (Snooze from the Shawshank Redemption and Richie Aprile from The Sopranos).

Excellent New York movie with great acting from Harvey Keitel and the above mentioned.

A classic. One of my favourites. Some cool scenes and a cool soundtrack...

Rampart. Woody Harrelson. It was on Ch22. 

It was ok, killed some time :) 

Was well into The Accountant today but got called away for a briefing so no seen the end :( 

Edited by Trackdaybob

(71-73)

Common 7/10

Crime/courtroom drama centering around the controversial law of joint enterprise and an innocent getting dragged into it. Thought it might be rubbish at the beginning but the victims mother and the mother of the innocently accused were strong

Welcome To The Punch 6.75/10

James McAvoy. A fairly standard romp through London and bent cops/terrorists/gun runners. I like McAvoy so a sixer gains an extra 3/4 points. Decent enough

The Mechanic 6/10

The original Charles Bronson one. Featuring a very youthful Jean Michael Vincent too - guessing pre-Airwolf days. I had no idea the Jason Statham film was essentially a reboot of this although it has a more Hollywood ending than this one. Quite funny in some ways - Bronson doesn't speak for the first 15 minutes or so which is his strength. Generally just great for all the clothes, decoration and cars. 1972 for the cultural references

No Way Home

Tim Roth is always good value and no exception here where he plays the part of a recently paroled prisoner who goes back to his childhood home to live with his older brother (James Russo) and his wife who he married while Roth was in prison. Roth plays the vulnerable character brilliantly while Russo is getting out of his depth in drug dealing which leads to an almighty bloodbath at the end. Very good film.

7/10

Into The Abyss -- 9/10

Cheery viewing for a Friday night. Werner Herzog's documentary about the death penalty. I didn't expect to be as moved as I was with Death Row pastor's response to Herzog's instruction, "Please describe an encounter with a squirrel." So two kids want to steal a car and in doing so stupidly manage to kill three people. One of them gets the death penalty, one gets life. The film interviews the two killers and many people related to the crime. Herzog's blunt, continental mannerisms somehow manage to eek the most honest of responses from his subjects. Hugely engaging and moving while maddening that so many lives can be ruined in a moment and it's not always obvious that all the participants appreciate that.

On 22/03/2017 at 23:02, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I was really enjoying it up to that point anyway. Easy to forget now, considering everyone expects a M. Night film to have a twist, but you didn't walk into that film thinking there'd be some final act turnabout that would make you re-think the rest of the film. It would've been a decent movie without it.

Night made a film that had a terrific turn, unfortunately you couldn't watch it more than twice, the second time just to see the twists!