What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Suicide Squad.

Oh my that was bad. Very bad. Don't know where to start there is so much wrong with it. It's obvious this film was rushed to add substance to the Dc universe and fails miserably. Solid 3/10

(108)

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion 8.3/10

A dark Italian satire from Elio Petri on power and corruption where a recent former head of a homicide squad decides to have a bit of a busman's holiday and prove to himself how much he can get away with. Recommended (mubi)

Edited by Christophe

Suicide Squad.

Oh my that was bad. Very bad. Don't know where to start there is so much wrong with it. It's obvious this film was rushed to add substance to the Dc universe and fails miserably. Solid 3/10

Is Margot Robbie decent though [emoji120]

Runaway Jury

Caught this on Film 4 last night. Pretty good courtroom drama based on a John Grisham novel and an excellent cast including Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, John Cusack and Rachel Weisz. Not so much about the case itself but more about jury selection and manipulation. Cusack is one of the jurors but has his own agenda and this is one of his best performances. A film worth checking out.

7/10

Couple from this week

Dread - karl Urban version (7/10)

Being vaguely aware of the comics, (ie haven't read but get the gist of the character etc) I thought it was played well, captured the atmosphere of Megacity well, and was a good watch as a futuristic cop movie. Only downsides were the 4 other judges seemed to not have enough back story or motivation, they just turned up for the money and Urban trying to pull stallone faces which I found a bit annoying

The Great Wall. (6/10)

Visually looks stunning in terms of the wall, Beijing, the desert etc, the costumes for the chinese army, the creatures not so much. Story is proper scify channel sharknado teritory

(109/110)

In Order of Disappearance 6/10

A sometimes slightly surprising Nordic black-comedy revenge flick starring Stellan Skarsgard who goes a bit Xtro when his son is killed by gangsters. Alright I guess. (DVD)

GLOW - The Gorgeous Women of Wrestling 9/10

Pretty amazing story about a women-only wrestling promotion which was hugely popular on cable TV around 1990. The show was absolutely mental! And it's really interesting to see what the women have to say about it in hindsight. Much like male wrestlers, even those who don't make it onto TV, it's amazing how often they just adore the business they're in. Only one of them went onto significant success with a major promotion (Ivory) but none of them were bitter about the injuries they suffered. There was one fat lass from Samoa who was in a hospice, on drips, but she still had nothing but good things to say. Only 73 minutes or so... (Netflix)

42 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(109/110)

In Order of Disappearance 6/10

A sometimes slightly surprising Nordic black-comedy revenge flick starring Stellan Skarsgard who goes a bit Xtro when his son is killed by gangsters. Alright I guess. (DVD)

GLOW - The Gorgeous Women of Wrestling 9/10

Pretty amazing story about a women-only wrestling promotion which was hugely popular on cable TV around 1990. The show was absolutely mental! And it's really interesting to see what the women have to say about it in hindsight. Much like male wrestlers, even those who don't make it onto TV, it's amazing how often they just adore the business they're in. Only one of them went onto significant success with a major promotion (Ivory) but none of them were bitter about the injuries they suffered. There was one fat lass from Samoa who was in a hospice, on drips, but she still had nothing but good things to say. Only 73 minutes or so... (Netflix)

A fictionalised tv series has just been made about Glow, I heard Marc Maron talking about it on the Adam Buxton podcast, he is in it,  I think he said it was going on Netflix. The main bit that caught my attention was that Alison Brie is also in it.

1 hour ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

A fictionalised tv series has just been made about Glow, I heard Marc Maron talking about it on the Adam Buxton podcast, he is in it,  I think he said it was going on Netflix. The main bit that caught my attention was that Alison Brie is also in it.

Yeah, goes up on Netflix next month I think. Not sure how that's gonna work but I'll give it a go!

Battle of Ardennes - Hitler's Last Stand

1/10 

Film is set in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. Starts off ok and turns in to a love story between one of the American officers and one of the locals.

The Longest Day 

10/10

One of if not the greatest war films ever made 

(111)

What Is A Group? 6.5/10

Short comic documentary from Ian Svenonius ostensibly to promote his band but ends up being an actual funny Marxist unpacking/analysis of the role of the musical group and the industry as a formentation of late capitalism. Nods to Godard and the 60s new wave, which means its in turns stylish and a bit insufferable (YouTube)

Edited by Christophe

(112)

Alien Covenant (or Alien(s) vs Prometheus) 6.5/10

So I quite like the Alien franchise in all of its latterly flawed glory and yet and yet and yet I had not really looked into this film or known it was even coming out so I have managed to get to the point of a new release (+ a few weeks) without knowing anything about who is in it, what the story is, when it is set, yadda x3

Without being arsed with spoiler tags I think I'm ok saying that it progresses where we left off at the end of Prometheus but also incorporates a hefty dollop of story devices and plot from the earlier films.

It's...fine. Solid. I think that I like the story and the atmosphere a lot more than I like the action set-pieces, which are humdrum, or the characters, who feel somewhat sketched. There's also a lot more tell than show, characters do big monologues and yet you end up knowing and caring less about them somehow because they become fairly one-dimensional.

Not read much feedback on it, though I have a feeling that purists will moan and action film fetishists will moan but I can't see any major holes in it. (cinema)

Edited by Christophe