What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Going to see the 112 minute version of Salem's Lot on the big screen tonight. Terrified me as a child, just hoping it's not dated as badly as I think it has.

Jeebus. The boy at the window. The vampire in the jail. James Mason going full on ham actor in the kitchen!

Scared me something awful as a kid, along with IT.

Guardians of the galaxy 2
7/10

Good sequel that gets better as it goes on.
Suffers from a muddled tone and plot early on but once it hits it's stride it is excellent.
The biggest strength of this compared to the other Marvel films is it's setting away from Earth allowing them to basically do whatever they want giving it a more unique feel.
Plays a little bit on the goodwill built up to the characters in the first film but that's a minor point.

Just saw this at the cinema. I pretty much think your post covers it [emoji4] I really enjoyed it.

Zodiac

I recorded this from one of the Sky channels a few weeks ago and watched it last night as my wife was out.  I'd seen it at the cinema when it came out and enjoyed it but it was good to revisit.

The film tells the story of the Zodiac Killer, through the eyes of Robin Graysmith, a cartoonist on the San Francisco Chronicle who became obsessed with the case following the communications from the killer to his paper.  The Zodiac killed several people in the late 1960s and early 1970s in Northern California and became notorious for mailing taunting letters to police and requesting that codes and ciphers he had written be published.  The Zodiac was never caught and in all likelihood he never will be, which presents a difficulty for the film.  Usually these sorts of stories have a structure of the hunt, the unmasking and the capture.  In this case the film really focuses on the impact of the case on the investigators - Jake Gyllenhal's Graysmith, Robert Downey Jr's crime reporter Paul Avery and Mark Ruffalo's police detective David Toschi.  All three give fantastic performances, driving the film forward when it could end up floundering.  There's also some great supporting turns from Brian Cox, Elias Koteas and John Carroll Lynch.  It's really a police procedural rather than a serial killer scene, although there is one extremely tense scene in a basement.

I enjoyed it, Fincher plays it very straight and it's all the better for it - you don't need to fancy up such a fascinating story as the Zodiac.  The performances really push the film as well.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Zodiac

I recorded this from one of the Sky channels a few weeks ago and watched it last night as my wife was out.  I'd seen it at the cinema when it came out and enjoyed it but it was good to revisit.

The film tells the story of the Zodiac Killer, through the eyes of Robin Graysmith, a cartoonist on the San Francisco Chronicle who became obsessed with the case following the communications from the killer to his paper.  The Zodiac killed several people in the late 1960s and early 1970s in Northern California and became notorious for mailing taunting letters to police and requesting that codes and ciphers he had written be published.  The Zodiac was never caught and in all likelihood he never will be, which presents a difficulty for the film.  Usually these sorts of stories have a structure of the hunt, the unmasking and the capture.  In this case the film really focuses on the impact of the case on the investigators - Jake Gyllenhal's Graysmith, Robert Downey Jr's crime reporter Paul Avery and Mark Ruffalo's police detective David Toschi.  All three give fantastic performances, driving the film forward when it could end up floundering.  There's also some great supporting turns from Brian Cox, Elias Koteas and John Carroll Lynch.  It's really a police procedural rather than a serial killer scene, although there is one extremely tense scene in a basement.

I enjoyed it, Fincher plays it very straight and it's all the better for it - you don't need to fancy up such a fascinating story as the Zodiac.  The performances really push the film as well.

Saw that recently for the second time - liked it.

Drive

Not sure why I haven't seen this before but it's a great film. Really stylish and well played by Gosling. Pretty sure it will still be on iPlayer, well worth a watch. Probably the best film I've seen this year.

9/10

The Visit

Decent thriller/horror with a twist but lacks real quality and is a bit cringey. 

6/10

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - loved the opening to the film with wee Groot dancing around as a massive battle goes on behind.  Never quite got to that level during the rest of the film other than a couple of one liners.  Bit childish some of the humour but was a decent enough watch.  6/10.

Beauty and the Beast - not my cup of tea although was happy to end up with Mr Burns singing 'see my vest' in my head for the rest of the day. 4/10.